Unofficial Cardiff City Thread

Discussion in 'Championship Clubs' started by cowtown, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    You're taking the piss, aren't you?

Hammam is a property developer, just like PMG Estates Ltd. He wanted the cash to be made from the property he proposed that we develop the very second he got here!

He needed us in the top two divisions to justify the need to the council for a new stadium, so they'd hand over £40m worth of land for next to nothing to the club, so he nearly spent us out of existence simply to make a few dirty pounds for himself.

We'd be in the Premiership if he had stayed? What? Well, I think if Ridsdale stays then we'll win the Champions League in three seasons, so my drug-induced dream world trumps yours.

Paul Guy and Sam Hammam are IDENTICAL in their attitudes towards this club. They both wanted us to stay in the Championship until the stadium and retail park plans were passed so they can ride off into the sunset with many bags with little pound signs scribbled on them; nothing more, nothing less.

2. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still pretty new, so would somebody please tell me more about this:

"Shortly after taking over at Cardiff, Hammam controversially pledged to get the entire Welsh nation to support Cardiff by renaming the club "The Cardiff Celts" and changing the club colours to green, red and white."

(from http://www.answers.com/cardiff city because Wikipedia is not working for me)

From this, and his role in the Wimbledon debacle, it seems Football may be one of Sam's favorite ways to make money, but fans and comunity don't seem to be very high on his list of priorities. Not that Pete's delusions of having an infinite supply of money at Leeds is much better, but ask Wimbledon supporters whether they prefer the Football League or the Isthmian.

3. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Just one of Hammam's stupid ideas when he first took over in 2000 that was quickly consigned to the 'room for improvement' bin.

I have a leaflet somewhere about it which was handed out at a home match, where Hammam waxes lyrical about how one day thousands of people from North Wales will travel past Liverpool and Birmingham during their ten-hour round-trip to Cardiff home games.

He's a prat, basically.

You're clearly a man of great perception.

Funny you should mention Hammam getting the ball rolling on Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes, though, since he also looked into moving them to Cardiff, along with Dublin, before settling on everyone's favourite concrete-based nightmare of a town.

In lighter news, City were yesterday effectively relegated from the Championship with the worst performance I have seen in a few fair years, coupled with no sign that any action will be taken by anyone in power at the club to stop us hosting League One football next season.

I bet you wish you picked one of the Big Four to support now, don't you 'Cowtown'? ;)

4. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    While I hate Peter Ridsdale, and even more so for his book which is the biggest load of excuses and old sh*te I've ever read, I can see why some of this is not his fault, but he isn't the right person to be trusted with money. Leeds did have the money, on proper financial arrangements, but Ridsdale saw it as a cash cow. If he had properly spent it, we could have won the league a few seasons after we finished third. We had a young squad, of hungry players, but Ridsdale just spent money 'because he could'. I'd be seriously worried about the future, even if he steers you round the Langston court case. I never thought I'd say it but I'd take Ken Bates over Ridsdale any day. I don't know whether he's a crook, just a drama queen, who cannot run a football club to save his life.

In the book he excuses every mistake by saying that other board members decided things for him. For example, David O'Leary apparently granted exclusivity to agent Rune Hauge over the Rio Ferdinand transfer from WHU, offering him £4m to make the deal happen. Fair enough, but why didn't he sack the manager then, for spending a huge some of money, operating outside both company policy and overstepping his remit? From wasting £3,000 an hour on a private jet, to paying £400,000 for a 'translator', who turned out to be nothing of the sort, just a hanger on to Olivier Dacourt when he was negotiating a move from RC Lens. He was in the meeting for 1 hour, apparently to help smooth the language barrier with Dacourts agent. As it turned out Dacourt's agent spoke good english, and he was not needed. The bill was submitted and Ridsdale paid it to avoid being taken to court. Now come on Peter, as several columnists have pointed out, an invoice is a fair representation of the service provided. You can't simply pull a figure from the air. If a mechanic changed your car tyre, then submitted an invoice for £400,000 you would tell them to piss off, and probably notify the police.

Its stories like this that make me worry about whether, without the debt, he can run a football club properly.

5. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Peter Ridsdale is incompetent beyond belief at being a chairman.

Sam Hammam buys clubs to destroy them for his own financial ends.

Which chairman do you think we'd be best off having?

6. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just payin' my dues, Boyo. I am starting to feel like a bit of a jinx, however.

7. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The first twelve games of last season were just a blip in an otherwise tortuous few decades for us. I wish you were the jinx, then I'd know how to sort out the mess we're in! ;)

8. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Obvious that Hammam is a property developer, it was his idea in the first place! But Hammam saw money on the pitch as well, unlike Ridsdale and Guy. Gunter gone, Ledley going, how long until Ramsey, Parry and Loovens join that list? Going to be worse than Black Friday, while Pete is still happy to give Fowler 10K to do sweet FA and keeping Dave Jones in a job after a shocking, shocking run of form. Yes, the club has improved somewhat recently (4 games, wow) however DJ should of been ousted ages ago. However didn't DJ help Pete et al in their coup at Ninian?

I won't sink to drug induced insults like you, your just gullible that's all if you think Ridsdale, Guy and Hall are better than Hammam. I'd prefer Hammam back instead of them. Not saying I want him instead of Mike Young, David Sullivan, Terry Matthews, etc etc, but instead of one man who had bankrupted 2 previous clubs along with his egg chasing, property developing side kicks.

Now we are stuck with a shambolic 25K ground which we have to share. That's your Ridsdale for you.

Anyway back to the football, yes Cardiff City is indeed a football club would you believe it. Yesterday was the first time in a while I have walked out of Ninian Park with a smile on my face. 4-1 against Colchester is expected but a solid performance against another under performing outfit mixed with some Paddy Kenny banter I was happy for once in a long time. Whittingham was awesome, why isn't he played more? The sad thing is that when Sinclair and Scimeca get back to fitness, Whittingham will be dropped instead of arselicker McFailure. McFail to be fair did make a couple of challenges for once, admittedly losing the ball after the tackle but one step at a time eh Steve.
    Shame Gunter wasn't allowed on the pitch at half time to say his goodbyes but what do you expect from the current administration:rolleyes:

Roll on Watford

9. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    No, Hammam did not see the money to be made on the pitch.

The reason for the excessive spending to work our way up to the Championship? That the council would not hand over the £40m worth of land to a club below that level since such an expense they could not justify to a level-tier club.

Simple as bloody that!

Where did I say that I'd prefer Ridsdale / PMG to Hammam?

All I was saying is that they're identical - scum who're willing to let our club go to hell to get their grubby f***ing hands on some of our council's money.

In all fairness, without the soul-destroying cut-backs and, probably, the ground-share, the whole deal would have collapsed.

Bear in mind, please, that the council basically held a gun to our heads demanding that the f***ing Blues shared with us so the council could sell off the Arms Park. If we didn't share, there'd probably be no new ground at all.

I personally wouldn't underestimate the win against Colchester. They maybe a tiny, tiny club, but they're still a Championship quality team. That result was fantastic for us, not 'expected'!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about what happens when Scimeca gets back to full fitness. He never will. His career is as good as over.

Yeah, Gunter not being allowed onto the pitch was a shame. Apparently Ridsdale refused to allow him to do so. No surprise there really, what with the c***s running our club at present.

Still, on the plus side, thank f*** for the three points yesterday. We're going to need every point we can get this season.

10. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Don't want to get back to Hammam-Ridsdale et al, but as soon as Ridsdale seized control of the boardroom, we were going to share with the egg scum, with council pressure or not.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, under Hammam, there was "Norfolk 'n' chance"...

There are principles in life, although the 25,000 really, really f*cks me off, having to share with the grass shaggers tips me over the edge. The sport which hampers football in South Wales moving into OUR ground for jack sh!t rent on top. They even got influence in our very own boardroom FFS with Mike 'Hunt' Hall doing the rounds. Wouldn't suprise me if the egg scum had some kind of veto on expanding our pathetically unambitious capacity. Our new stadium won't be expanded for 10-15 years minimum. Stuck with 25K, going to be difficult to get it to 27K let alone 30K. I've come to the point where I don't give a sh!t about the City at times.

If you don't expect to beat Colchester at home easily then you must be ambitious as our current board. Don't mean to insult, just that the side we have should be drumbing the likes of Colchester, Scunny, etc. A cheeky 1-0 victory against that sort of opponent isn't really good enough.

As for yesterday, we were awesome for the majority of the game, or Bryan Robson is that sh!te a coach, you pick. A decent result and we could of scored alot more. Whittingam was phenomenal and Parry played extremely well off a mediocre JFH. Shame that McFail (Captain LMFAO) and Crapaldi still waltz into the lineup, they offer nothing, well apart from a good ************** to Davey Jones I guess. I'd like to see Mr Darcy feature alot more but can't seem him or Ramsey making the teamsheet much as DJ doesn't seem to have a thing for kids:rolleyes:

'Tis the time of good will and optimism, so outside chance of Play-offs anyone (Pending who we flog in the January sales)?

11. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I agree with most of what you say mate, but to reiterate, I think writing teams like Colchester off based on the club itself's tiny-club reputation is doing Geraint Williams a grace disservice.

What does really grate my goat (is that even an expression?) though, is that Ridsdale has admitted that we're virtually certain to have blank blue seats. We can't even get 'Cardiff City' or 'Bluebirds' spelt out in our own stadium's seating because of our board's rugby-loving nature.

It's disgusting.

12. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's an inadequate half-measure, but what about just "CARDIFF"? They are Cardiff Blues, right? And anyway, we'll still have a better deal than Swansea.

13. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The Blues'll drop the 'Cardiff' from their name once they move to our ground.

14. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Well, since we're yet to have a drunken cry of tribal pride in this thread and we play Preston in a six-pointer today:

G'WAN CITY!!!!!

:D

15. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey... seems to have worked. Go Bluebirds!

16. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I'm personally claiming all the kudos for the victory. :cool:

And now onto the New Year's Day match against Plymouth. Kick-off 1pm GMT. So I'll be still drunk during. Yippedy-flamin'-doo-dah. :eek:

Schmeichel's last match for us before going back to Manchester to pick splinters out of his bottom on the City of Manchester Stadium's bench and we're back to square one in search for a new goalie. How I miss Neil Alexander.

17. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that we're playing well going into the transfer window, if for no other reason than to see what the powers-that-be do now that making the playoffs doesn't seem completely impossible.

18. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are everyone's thoughts about the FAW's scheme to get us into Europe? I understand talk like this is very cheap, and most likely absolutely nothing will come of it, but doesn't this particular idea sound kind of like... cheating? I think restarting talks about getting back into the Welsh Cup or getting a CL or UEFA Cup bid attached to the FAW Premier Cup would be a little better, and would actually make me interested in those competitions.

While we're at it, what do y'all think generally about being Euro exiles?

19. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The FAW's dream scheme of getting us to play our reserve side in the LOW is outright rediculous. As pathetic as the organisation who oversees our national game. It would jeopardise our own standing in the the Football League and would enfuse many English FL fans further.

If the FAW intend to safe face in Europe, they should scrap the cr@p FAW Premier Mickey Mouse Cup and re-admit the Exiles into the Welsh Cup again. Currently outside Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport, the Welsh football scene is dead. Even when the big guns take on the shoddy LOW opponents, we don't play our full strength sides rendering the Premier Cup as just a training exercise. The FAW can't run the sport for sh!t and their latest doolally idea is just in a long line of idiotic decisions/plans by David Collins and his blazer cronies.

Either swallow the bullet and re-admit us to the Welsh Cup so we can qualify for the UEFA Cup, or suck eggs as there is no way I want to CCFC endanger their life in the Football League for the useless LOW.

I was too young to see the days of City in Europe, old man was at all the big European nights: Real Madrid, Hamburg, etc. It pains me to hear his stories of those famous evenings under the Ninian Park lights and it feels like I've been cheated by our national football body. I would love it to have the chance to qualify for Europe again, to experience City taking on the best of the continent. I live in hope

As for Cardiff City at the mo, great run of form, good win against Sheffield Wednesday yesterday and we should of scored more with both Johnson and Loovens hitting the woodwork in addition to Jimmy's exquisite lob. I thought the ref was going to screw us over like he did at Luton a couple years back (3-3 going into last minute when Koumas was clearly brought down in the box and the ref copped out of making the decision!). Still onwards we march, West Brom a crunch game now next Saturday against West Brom. Here's hoping we replicate our League Cup drubbing of them at the Hawthorns!

20. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    "The FAW's dream scheme of getting us to play our reserve side in the LOW is outright rediculous. As pathetic as the organisation who oversees our national game. It would jeopardise our own standing in the the Football League and would enfuse many English FL fans further."

It's nice to grand for the fans of LoW clubs, either...

21. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was listening to a BBC news studio show Saturday morning on satellite radio. Thought all was well, then the goal... UGH.

Still, I'd have probably tken a draw at WBA if I'd been promised one before the match started. Jimmy Floyd actually seems useful when paired with somebody young and quick. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but if we hold on to Parry and Ledley through this window, we have as a good a shot as anybody at making top 6.

22. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I knew we were going to throw it away at West Brom, even when we were 3-1 up with quarter an hour to go you could tell we didn't have the bottle to hold it together. Never have a shouted such obscenities are Jeff Stelling but when the equaliser went in, I was fuming. 4 times this season we've chucked away a lead in injury time (Sheff U, Preston, Watford and WBA), and watch those 8- points haunt us in our fight for the playoffs:rolleyes: Ever the optimist aren't I. Still, roll on Hereford and FA Cup round 5 I hope

23. soulcrew70

soulcrew70 New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    looks like the city will have to settle for mid table at best, cant wait for the 'boro game sunday.........c'mon city

24. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's okay... who WANTS to get to the Prem anyway? Certainly not Dave.:rolleyes:

25. soulcrew70

soulcrew70 New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    how true my texan friend.....a wembley final will do for me mate, will you be able to watch the game over there?