Unlike John West- you pick the ones we reject- LFC Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Aug 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering RMs reported financial mess, I'd guess they offered terms on that payment that extend to the next century...hence the refusal from PSG.

Wingtips1 and SamScouse repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool are reportedly considering a late move to sign Sevilla forward Lucas Ocampos before the 11pm deadline on August 31.

... apparently his wife sent out a tweet or something with YNWA in it. so that's proof positive, right there.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it could be that RM want to ensure Barca don't have any chance i.e. kick your opponent when they're at their weakest.

4. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just like the Lucas digne tattoo?

5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Challenging?
    They're playing most games with a midfield consisting of Fred, McTominay, and Matic.
    I'd back Milner, Elliott, and Jones (our 5th, 6th, and 7th players in midfield) ahead of that trio.

They have a RB that literally cannot cross the halfway line.

And a completely adequate, but neither good nor great, manager.

They'll challenge for the Carabao and the ECL, but not compete at the high end of the table.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Time for a new thread title:

Now, stop linking us with every Mbappe and Haaland in Europe...

BtownKj and SamScouse repped this.
  7. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Perhaps but I do believe they have sufficient quality to be thereabouts for the league and minimally advance into CL quarterfinal.

Red Bird repped this.
  8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Man U has a squad which is capable of cutting through low to mid-table teams and, if they blink, top ones too.

The weakness is on the management side. With that squad, Klopp would walk the treble.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope these United criticisms will prove correct. I mean, I hoped the same when I heard these very similar arguments the past 2 seasons and that didn't really work out. And United are better now. But I guess no harm in a little more hope?

Sounds like they are being offered Ronaldo, in his evident desperation for a move this year as opposed to next. I don't know if anyone in the prem would bite unless he's willing to take a massive paycut? Doesn't seem like great business financially, but the concept of him getting on the end of balls by Pogba/Sancho/Bruno or KDB/Grealish/Mahrez/Gundogan, that does sound like it could be effective.

10. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    It now sounds like it’s City. Interesting fit if true.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense too. Not financially, of course, but since when has that stopped City.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s pretty exciting that Klopp manages Liverpool which has an even better squad. Quadruple?

Wingtips1 and Red Bird repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

What did United do these past two seasons? Two seasons ago they needed to win on the last day to finish 4th. They were miles behind Liverpool.

Last season, in what was a “good” season for them, they finished 5 points ahead of Liverpool who had their worst case scenario season. They rested all their players against Leicester, conceding the title to City, so that they could beat Liverpool. They then got played off the park by a team that had Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips at centerback.

SamScouse repped this.
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 EruditeHobo, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    They did what I said they'd do, basically... finished top 4 with a good defense. Which lot of people disagreed with. And now they're better. That's all, no one is saying they should be favorites for the CL.

And Aston Villa thrashed Liverpool before the VVD injury, so I'm not sure what the purpose is of looking at one or two particular matches devoid of other context.

People said they weren't finishing in the top 4. The arguments weren't convincing then and aren't now, as far as I'm concerned. We'll see what happens though, maybe they underperform. If Ole is holding them back so much, even the potential of Haaland and Camavinga won't secure them a prem title... so believe me I hope the naysayers are right. I just don't see it, especially after they replace the likes of Cavani & Matic.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many goals is Ronaldo gonna score for City?

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably a lot. Won’t make them any better though.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’m pretty sure that’s the only thing he cares about.

It’s definitely risky to bring a character like that into what as already arguably the best team in Europe last season. It becomes all about him. There are already many brilliant players in that team who might not appreciate it.

It doesn’t seem like a very well thought out move, even though it might work. The plan was to sign Kane. Last season Kane became brilliant at dropping deep and providing for others. He led the league in assists. That’s the player Pep wanted to build his team around. Instead they are signing a player who at this point in his career just stands in the middle of the goal and only cares about how many goals he scored. It almost seems like something the owners would want more than Pep. Qatar got Messi so Abu Dhabi wants Ronaldo.

With all that said, I’m sure he scores a ton of goals. But if it’s at the expense of Sterling, I don’t think they are necessary better.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in some ways CR7 is more of a like-for-like replacement for Aguero, in terms of what they bring to the team / style of play.

if he ends up there, expect to see a lot of wrestling for the ball between him and KdB for FKs in good scoring positions.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be great - but we have too may mids right now. If Ox was gone (or keita) - then yes.

(rumor has already been shot down by pearce et al)

Red Bird repped this.
  21. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we were going to sign a midfielder, a Bassouma type makes sense. Perhaps the most vulnerable spot in the squad is the #6 position. Fabinho is arguably our most irreplaceable player. Henderson can do that job well, but he is injury prone also and would rather be playing in a more advanced position. As soon as Fabinho was restored to the #6 last season, we started winning again.

Bassouma could serve as a good backup to Fabinho but is also versatile enough to play in the same team as him.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    from what I've seen he'd fit in, he is a good player. but he'd need to cool his heels for a year at least before he got near the starting 11 on any regular basis. if we did sign him we'd surely be moving out Ox or Origi?

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... nevermind. Ronaldo to return to United instead, I guess.

Now how many goals is he going to score?

Not fun news to wake up to.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ok so now it's ....
    expect to see a lot of wrestling for the ball between him and Fernandez for FKs in good scoring positions.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Juventus desperately wanted the CL and broke the bank for Cristiano Ronaldo. Didn’t work out so Man City wants the sane
    First eleven , ours is definitely better. Man U has better depth in that the drop off in quality, if any, isn’t that much, compared to ours.