Univision Pumas Broadcast Question

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Monkeyboy2000, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I admit I try to avoid Univision's telecasts mainly because of my dislike of their commentators but on Sunday I tried to catch the Pumas/Chivas game on Univision because of a satellite problem I was having. Anyways, the game was a couple of minutes after the initial whistle but when I tuned in to Univision, they were still showing commercials. I kept watching thinking they would bring in the game right after the commercial. But no. Another commercial followed. And another. Finally they got to the game but rather than joining it in progress, they showed the initial kick-off. I tuned back to the Televisa live feed and it was well into the fourth minute. I thought it odd but I assumed that they would then just show the whole first half with a 4 minute delay.

I left the TV on and did a few other things around the house, looking in every now and then. The odd thing is that by the end of the first half, they were showing the game live again. At some point in the game, they cut around 4 minues worth to get back in synch with the live broadcast.

Anyone know if this is a common practice at Univision to jam more commercials before the initial kick-off ? If it is, then it's a sneaky way of doing it.

2. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last wks. America/Tigres match started broadcasting after kick-off...not the first time that's been the case.

As far as when/which channel the matches are going to be broadcast on - the only reliable source is the thread here on the Mexico boards. The local papers can be way off on these things.

I don't mind the small-screen commercials usually but, yesterday's Aguilas match was annoying at times because Piojo would be working someone in the corner and the friggin commercial box was down there blocking out the play.

One thing I like about Univision is that they span around the estadia more than most. They show pre/post match goings on that add a bit more flavor.
    Bracamonte and co. are too cut and dried...they bail as soon as the match ends and that's that. Too abrupt. We wont even talk about the Aguilas victory celebration after last season's finale - what a mess they made of that.

3. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i got this game recorded but even so it will be hard to prove. I could time it or somethjing. thats pretty slick if they did it though.

4. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I wanna say Azteca does a better job with the crowds. They always seem to find the juiciest ladies in the stands. I love that.

5. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Isn't it though ? I'm guessing they remove the on-screen timer, cut to the live feed, and then bring the timer back. You get 42 minutes of soccer and 3+ more minutes of commercials before kick-off.

6. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's not the broadcasting starting after kick-off that I was curious about. Since it's a feed from Mexico, it's understandable when US commercials run over the start of the game. It's when it's 3+ minutes into the game and then some of the game gets cut in order to get back in synch with the live feed that you wonder if this is going to be a common practice for Univision.

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i havent been keeping up with it... but I know Televisa is upset with Univision because they seem to alter certain things with their programming.

I p1sses me off to no end that I dont get to see a pregame, halftime, and post game analysis of the match. But, what p1sses me off even more is that sometimes we mis a minute of the match because they are airing some commercial

8. puromorelia

puromorelia Member

Mar 1, 2005
    L.@. california
    It wouldnt surprise me at all if they did or will continue to do this...
    This is the same station that was showing us delayed COPA
    CONFEDERACIONES games by around 6, 7 minutes....

They also do cut very short right after the game but ive noticed
    Televisa has been doing the same so theres no big difference
    there but out of all their flaws the worst has to be when they
    start the game immediately after a commercial or sometimes even
    worst once the game is in progress already.

One thing I do like about Azteca america is that they actually have
    stayed a little longer for post game comentaries on some of their
    games which Azteca live from mexico doesnt even do!!!

Either way Univision is crap overall, the audio is horrible ! you can
    hardly hear the crowd in the stands, they have shity comentators
    and worst of all they are very unprofessional when it comes to
    broadcasting the games, just wonder what surprise they will have
    in store come WORLD CUP time ! :eek:

Thats why you switch to SKY and save yourself the surprises!

9. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Absolutely horrible broadcast. Why dont they just give us the direct televisa feed with their commentators so we can avoid all this bs. Raul Orvananos and Raul Sarmiento are alot better than univsions Torre de Jalisco and Bracamontes.

10. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because Univision seems to think they provide a better product to viewers by having two guys do the narration from a studio in Miami watching a game on a monitor than actually hearing from people in the stadium booths and on the field.

Plus we absolutely need La Torre pimping other Univision programs throughout the broadcast and yelling with his fake enthusiasm his horrid catch-phrases whenever he gets a chance.

11. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As for the ladies yesterday, I'd say Pumas was out in front of everybody.

There was some real quality in those stands.

12. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Wouldnt suprise me if every Pumas game is delayed. Remember the time they showed the girl walking around in just her panties? not just once, but twice! Ever since then, I think they have to watch what comes over from the televisa feed. Its horrible that the start brodcast after the game starts, but that should change once Azcaraga takes over univision again.

13. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Ricardo Mayorga's reaction: "Olé!"

14. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Univision = Pumas

If one of the Moderators would be so kind, there's a thread about us having it with Univision, Telefutura and Azteca America.

So the condescending prick that is Mayorga left, and I'm glad, but now we have a soft-spoken, homegrown Lavolpe apologist in Bracamontes.

I've got his phrases down to the T now.

Pero miiira nomassss.

Que laastimaaa.

Repeated throughout the 90 minutes of "live" gameplay a minimum of 20 times.

At the very least I don't have to endure countless cries of "Ojo, ojo!"

15. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I for one miss Mayorga for one reason, and ThrashBoy agrees with me on this: Mayorga at least said a lot and took a lot of time from Ramirez.

Bracamontes hardly talks and gives too much mic time to Ramirez. I've come to have a deep hatred for Ramirez, his voice, his phrases, etc. At least Mayorga was funny every once in a while or you could just laugh off his ridiculously stupid comments. Bracamontes just hides in the shadows too much and makes absolutely no impact on how the game is called.

16. Colima24

Colima24 Member+

Jul 28, 2005
    Villa de Alvarez
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The FCC would of had a field day if that would of happened in the Super Bowl, instead of that quarter of a second flash by Janet Jackson. Safe to say, now in the days of the dreaded 5-7 second delay, we will never see another bare breast on TV again, unless you make an order for it. Damn you Boy Bander, you deserve to die, and I hope you burn in hell.

Another thing I hate, is that, Galavision & Telefutura used to televise the Saturday and late Sunday games with Televisa's announcers. I do not know when it changed, but now they use their lower tier announcing teams (the hosts of Contacto Deportivo). Ok, their main announcing team is not much better than the other combinations. They f-ing suck at announcing, Televisa's announcers are way better. Even though I do not like this team, I liked hearing the announcing team that did the Atlas' Saturday night game. Please go back to using the other announcers. Fernando Schwartz & Co. stink up the joint.

17. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Univision is totally doing that. I was seeing the Guadalajara- Jaguares game and they show the kick off. The game is normally played and they are about the 1 minute mark when they suddenly start showing instant replays about plays that I hadn't seen in the game. They had a fall by Alberto Medina outside the box and another one by a Chiapas player. When they returned back to the game, they were suddenly in the sixth minute of play after that 30 second replay. Its BS. Its obvious that they are doing this. Televisa starts their pregames and games, ten minutes before the hour. If a game is a 3:00, they will start the pre game at 2:50 so that the game goes off just in time. Univision doesn't, they just start their pregame at the hour and then go off with those crap commercial and their pregame with those 2 morons.

I thought people knew about this since I remember while in Mexico, that people got mad since Dorados scored an early goal against Atlante and they cut it out for their waste BS programming.

19. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

As bad as Ramires is, Mayorga was a lot worse. Bracamontes sucks big time but at least he isn't as bad as Mayorga. Man did he suck. Worst announcer ever.

20. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Re: Univision = Pumas

That is very annoying, he sure sounds naco when he says that.

21. PUMA Auriazul

PUMA Auriazul New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Mexico

If you pay very close attention to him also all you'll hear him say is, " O sea", "O sea", O sea".

22. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I remember that. The goal was scored about 30 seconds or so after the opening whistle, which Univison didn't even show. As soon as they began their coverage of the game the goal had already been scored and they were showing the replay of the goal about 3 minutes into the game. They totally fvcked that one up.

23. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Believe it or not, sometimes the Univision futbol broadcast actually starts about a minute BEFORE the Televisa "live" broadcast, like at last season's FINAL game. I suppose Televisa delayed the signal in order to squeeze comercials in.

24. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Where exactly did this come from? I know it's slang, but what is the root word that one is trying to say when they drop an "O sea".

25. PUMA Auriazul

PUMA Auriazul New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Mexico

"O, sea" is slang, and it came from the chilangolandia. It mostly means words like- AND, ETC, LOOK, But Wait, IM TRYING TO EXPLAIN, and a buch of more stuff. There must be alot of chilnagos here that can answer that question better than me, I think. :)