Univision Deportes French Ligue-1 rights expire(?)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Jul 31, 2014.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I noticed that the Ligue-1 opener this season (August 8th) is on BOTH beINSport channels. Sure enough, Univision Deportes listings have no French league matches listed for the opening weekend. So it seems that Ligue-1 is now on par with La Liga & Serie A and exclusive to beINSport in both languages.

This is BAD news as far as I'm concerned as Ligue-1 will be relegated to streaming and delayed broadcasts only except for PSG matches that do not conflict with Barcelona, Real Madrid or Atletico matches. At least there was the choice of 3-4 matches on Univision almost every weekend.

beINSport's streaming service is fairly good quality but lacks the "replay" option which would make it a much more viable option. I'm sure most here will agree that a 3rd (maybe even 4th) beINSport TV channel would be necessary to truly offer their inventory. Since they must know that providers are not willing to offer the bandwidth necessary, I hope they throw the money into improving the streaming service and bring on par to say, ESPN3....

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

2. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Other than Ajaccio who had Ochoa last season (and more), it was actually rare that Univsion Deportes aired a match that was not also aired on BeIN, although Univision would air games live that BeIN aired on delay. This shifted slightly at the end of the season when Univision aired some Lille matches that were not on BeIN. Moreover, Univision never aired full matches on delay; it was always Ligue 1 in 60. With all that said, I do share your concern about BeIN reducing Ligue 1 coverage, which was mostly good last season. My only major complaint was that BeIN stuck with OM, Lyon, and Bordeaux every week in addition to PSG and Monaco, when they should have been airing Lille and St Etienne matches. I can't believe that Lyon and Bordeaux pulled in more viewers than teams fighting for the title (Lille for about 3/4 of the season) or the last CL spot (Lille and St Etienne).

Makandal and HomietheClown repped this.