University of Virginia -- The 2019 Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Val1, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Miami? Meh....

The Miami Hurricanes came out wearing Susan Komen pink. It would pretty much be their highlight for the game. Virginia scored two minutes in, and it was game over. Of course, we still had to play another 88 more minutes.

Miami 0
    Virginia 3

For the game, Coach Steve Swanson had the Cavaliers come out in a 3 – 4 – 3 formation, but it is debatable as to whether we can even consider this a lineup change. Left back Courtney Petersen just moved further up the field into midfield where she pretty much occupied the same space as left midfielder Alexa Spaanstra. Miami, currently sitting 13th in the 14-team ACC (Georgia Tech doesn’t field a women’s soccer team), was never going to score, so the back line trio of Talia Staude, Zoe Morse and Phoebe McClernon was sufficient on the night. Maybe if Spaanstra had stationed herself more centrally this lineup tinkering would seem like more of a big deal, but for the most part, it didn’t really matter who played where.

The fans at Cobb Stadium had barely gotten settled when Anna Sumpter played a slow, looping cross into the box, one that seemed destined to end up safely in the Miami keeper’s hands. Except that Diana Ordonez blitzed in from nowhere, got the slightest of contact on the ball, and headed in for a goal. It was a brutal punishment of an error on the keeper’s part.

For the remainder of the game, Miami was in damage-control mode and the Cavaliers were than happy to oblige, even if they were not particularly threatening for the remainder of the half. Virginia was sloppy and everyone looked off. And we were careless. At about the 30-minute mark Virginia had more offsides than shoots on goal, and this is something of a concerning trend for UVa. Most UVa offsides violations are just careless and evidence of a lack in concentration or an unwillingness to get back onsides when retreating up the pitch. Anna Sumpter’s offsides call nullifying her goal against Duke is one thing: she was trying to latch onto a Courtney Petersen cross and was a half-step offsides. This is hustle. The 8 offsides vs Wake Forest? This is a team just not caring. I’m surprised Swanson allows such lazy behavior on the pitch.

The second half started much like the first as Spaanstra scored four minutes in. An overwhelming percentage of goals are scored in the first 5 and last 5 minutes of each half, so Miami falling asleep again is understandable. But it’s not good soccer. Diana Ordonez scored a second goal 8 minutes later to finish the scoring. All that was left was for Swanson to empty his bench, except that he didn’t, really. At least, not to the level that he’s done in the past. I think he’s aware of this, and he’s hiding it. UVa used to list the minutes played each game by each player, but the team no longer lists minutes played in their stats. Minutes are aggregated on the team stat page, but on a game-by-game basis? Not so much. Spaanstra got a slightly longer break than usual, as did McCool, but Petersen and Torres still played too much for my way of thinking. I don’t know if this is going to come back to bite the Cavs on the butt.

Coming Up: This was the first game of a long, three game, nine day, road trip. It will culminate next Sunday at Florida State, but in between, the Cavs travel to NC State for a Wednesday matchup with the Wolfpack. My attention is firmly on FSU. But I’m a fan. I can do that. Hopefully the women will be more focused on NC State than they were on Miami, because, well, NC State is going to be more of a test.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Little negative imo. I was at the game. The field was tiny. I think 3atb was more of a reaction to that. Many high ranked teams have come to this bandbox and gone home with a loss. I felt it was a professional performance without overtaxing the core of the team. There were a few very good passages of play and UVA made Miami look bad. We got a taste of Constant at CDM in the second half. Simple, no nonsense.

After FSUs run last year, i am struggling to get overly excited about any reg season matchup at this stage. UVA are right where they need to be at present.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting that you mention field size, because it is just something I don't notice over the screen. Plus, the camera angle sucked in general for this game, and I was watching on the computer, but you know, I never once thought anything of the size. I've never had the reason to watch Miami in general and I missed the game two years ago -- I remember being happy that I did, what with the loss and all -- and that's as long as I've been able to follow the women, in terms of getting the games. But thanks for bringing that up....

As for the regular season... well, I am a child of the ACC. Coming back to the states from my father's tour in England as a child, I was, of course, a soccer fan, but the sport that grabbed me was college hoops and March Madness and ultimately, ACC hoops. It had been almost a decade since UVa had won their first (and only) ACC hoops tournament when I hit the scene, and it would take until the Bennett era for us to win another. Now that women's soccer no longer flows through Anson Dorrance, I've come to love ACC soccer like I do ACC hoops. (Well, almost as much.) I want the ACC title. I want the ACC tournament. Win those, and anything that happens in the NCAAs is gravy.

4. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Most likely it doesn't.

This guy gives a great explanation.
    (1:50 Not good at predicting single games) , (2:40 Underestimates OPEN goals) and so much more. Very informative.

Whatever the model, most analysts agree xG isn't good at predicting outcomes of single games as was my general point.

Number007 repped this.
  5. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I agree with your general point. Both teams missed clear cut chances and because Dukes occurred late in a scoreless game, they give the impression of being more "significant". UVA missed ,many more good chances in the game in the first half

ping repped this.
  6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I only saw the last OT and half of the first OT.
    The stats looked fairly even.
    NCSt was the clear aggressor in OT 2.

UVA missing any key players.
    Don't lose heart.
    FSU was 5-4-1 in regular season ACC last year.

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Lose heart? over what.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Not speaking of you in particular.
    Some fans get frustrated when their team doesn't win, even though they are obviously the better team.
    In NCSt game, not sure who the better team was.
    What do you think?

9. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    NC STATE is a pretty damn good team

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i think you have to look at every game from a matchup PoV.

1. NC state home field is very narrow. That hurt UVAs desire to use width
    2. NC State has better athletes in certain areas
    3.NC State more physical

Was always going to be a close game. A draw was a good result for UVA.

Better team in terms of the night. Pretty even. Better team overall. UVA ..and not that close.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    UVa: Crashing Back to Earth

Expectation is the harsh mistress of the sports fan. Set your sites too low, and when your team does better, you can become frustrated, almost wishing your team would lose to prove that you were the most knowledgeable fan in the room. Set your sites too high and even the smallest defeat can send you crashing. I suspect I’m in the latter camp because Virginia’s failure to win against the Wolfpack has me questioning what I believed about this team.

NC State 0
    Virginia 0

At the start of the season, I expected the same success as to which we’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of years: a lot of wins, a lot of goals, a win or two in the ACC tourney and then after the almost-assured trip to the Sweet 16, another early exit from the NCAA tournament. Watching in-person the demolition of Penn State, only for the Lions to equalize with 3 minutes left, and then the immediate goal 26 seconds later, I thought this team could win it all.

But then the ACC slate began. We’ve played five games and we have now drawn the 6th, the 8th, and the 13th place teams in the ACC. Yeah, we’ve beaten the 9th and 14th place teams, but that’s not saying much, is it?

For this game, for once, our opponent did not come out and bunker. The wide defenders utilized the anti-UVa playbook of not letting Becca Jarrett or Alexa Spaanstra get baseline (grabbing jerseys was a big part of this tactic as the Wolfpack received three yellow cards for their efforts), they draped two players on Diana Ordonez, played Tziarra King on the right to nullify Courtney Petersen, and ran Jameese Joseph right at Phoebe McClernon all night.

Oh. The Wolfpack also had homefield advantage. It’s another small pitch and UVa loves the big field. The energy at the park was the best I’ve heard over a telecast: they had the band, thunder sticks, two dozen cow-bells, and raucous fans behind the goals.

Anyway, the plan worked. Again. Spaanstra, our most gifted offensive player, had another forgettable night. This play, coming early in the 2nd overtime, encapsulates her, and Virginia’s, recent play.

Dribbling toward her own goal, two NC State players about to steal possession, she makes a brilliant turn, accelerates incredibly (this is the 100th minute of play), has acres of space, and… just completely mishits the ball. I’m not sure what is wrong. I’ve written that she’s been manhandled at times, but not on this night. She is playing more centrally than she might be used to, what with central midfielder Taryn Torres playing a deeper role. Maybe she needs to move back to left wing.

Jarrett was active, but what touch she has deserted her. She had to slow down for her second touch all night. This denied her the opportunity to get baseline – that and the jersey pulling – so she was forced away from space and successfully turned into defensive support all night. As I’ve said before, she’s learning a new position and she needs a Coerver DVD stat.

As for Petersen, she only had three or four crosses all game. NC State put Tziarra King on her, and while it wasn’t necessarily a battle royale between them, they did effectively nullify each other. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing for UVa: King is the second leading scorer in the ACC and two years ago she simply shredded the UVa back line for one of the prettiest goals you’ll never see. (Under the old, pre ACCN, UVa owns the film rights and they haven’t seen fit to release the video of an opponent looking good.)

Coach Steve Swanson continues to baffle me by his placement of Phoebe McClernon at right back. If McClernon has a defensive weakness, it’s that she’s not very good in the air, and it’s been suggested to me that maybe Swanson sees her playing at the next level as an outside back and he’s doing what he can to prepare her. If so, then Swanson is a better man than I am, because it is simply unfathomable to me that one could take the best player on a team with College Cup aspirations and give her a role that she is patently not cut out for.

Last week I suggested a couple of tweaks to the lineup that Coach Swanson could make, and for three whole minutes, Swanson did fundamentally shift the players. Claire Constant came in for the holding midfielder role, Torres moved out to left midfield and this pushed Spaanstra out to left wing. Three minutes after, right midfielder Anna Sumpter picked up a knock, Alyssa Gorzak came in, moved to left wing and Spaanstra dropped back to midfield.

On the night, Sumpter was the most effective player on the pitch as she is one of the few players who can actually dribble. It seems she has completely relegated former starter Sydney Zandi to the bench. It would be nice if she and Spaanstra looked to hook up more than they do.

As far as the game goes, for the first time in recent memory, Virginia was outshot in a game (13 – 12) though we had more corners (3 – 7). The game was fairly even, though Wolfpack keeper, did keep them in the game with two fine saves and a strong command of the penalty box on the few crosses that Petersen was able to make. In the second overtime, the game got stretched and looked like a Duke v UNC basketball game, the kind that features lots of great athletes running up and down the floor, not playing defense, just running and gunning. UVa had their moments, but the most dangerous dashed did belong to NC State, even if they couldn’t get a shot on goal.

With the two overtime periods, the women played 110 minutes. And everyone on both teams gave it their all. Looking at the players after the final whistle, from a clearly gassed McClernon, to sweat pouring off in buckets from the face of Wolfpack sparkplug Ricarda Walking, you know that these women are warriors all. While it was soul-crushing for me as a fan, this game was a great advertisement for the future of the women’s game.

Next Up: Florida State. With us not drawing UNC (for a second, stinkin’, crappy year in a row) this is the marquee fixture for the Cavs. The Seminoles are the reigning NCAA champions, have loads of skill on the ball, and after two weeks of being less than full strength due to national team commitments, have everyone back. I will have a preview of this game from SB Nation’s FSU affiliate, Tomahawk Nation writer Prince Akeem Joffer. I don’t do previews, only post-mortems, so this will be a nice feature leading up to game of the season. Wahoowa!

12. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I understand expectation and being disappointed when your team isn’t winning games you think they should.....but...I think you need to realize the ACC is pretty damn deep this year. The defenses of most teams are stellar imo. It seems on any given night, the #1 team can tie the 12th place team.... or (like tonight) the two worst teams (Pitt/‘Cuse) can upset the 8th/10th teams (BC/Wake). So don’t be too down, y’all will be just fine come tourney time. And tbh, if you can score first against FSU, your defense should be good enuf to hold them off. They’re defense seems to be giving up an unusually high amount of goals this year (for FSU).

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    2477 is right. FSU's defense is not as good as most years.
    Everyone know this game is 50/50. Now it could be that one team dominates, but that is unlikely.
    Hope both teams stay healthy and improve going forward.

mpr2477 repped this.
  14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I dont share Vals pessimism in many areas.

1. More of the better teams seem willing to sit deeper and deeper now and play on the counter. Last year UVA played Wake Forest in the spring and Regular season. I think Uva scored 11x in the 2 games. At Klockner in the RS it was 5-1. No way Da Luz was going to let that happen again.

I never thought I would see a Duke team play as they did, but I was wrong.

2. Miami and NC State have interesting fields. Miami is tiny and Dail is very harrow. UVA are one of the few teams i have watched that use true wingers. Narrow pitches make it a lot easier to get tighter to players.

3. UVA are not a physically strong team and this is a problem when there is no space. Look at Baylor last year. If an opponent can make the game a physical contest in the central areas, they will have success vs UVA

4. Players usually get stats in the OOC part of the schedule, but I judge them based on Conference and post season play. Jury is still out for me on a few

5. The culture of trying to pass out of pressure most of the time will always lead to some hairy moments. No team is more committed to that than the Cavaliers. Very noble.

On personnel, Some of Vals observations I agree on, some I dont. Central Strikers are always marked. Thats the centre backs job. UVAs need to be able to win some aerial battles and hold possession better. There is a lot more to be a top class striker than just scoring.

I think its easy to get carried away. I fully expected UVA to lose a few games and to have gone this long without doing so is very impressive. They have conceded 4 goals all year. One penalty. One from a dubious FK at PSU.. so thats 2 from open play. also impressive.

UVA are a good team and will be fine. If they get a few breaks, they can go a long way this year.

Val1 repped this.
  15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    its not 50/50. FSU as the home team should be favored. Hopefully it will be a good game

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Why do soccer fields not have a specific, mandated size? They have minimum dimensions, yes, with some right at close to the minimum and others quite a bit larger, I believe--correct me if I'm wrong. I find this odd and don't like it--and I especially don't like small(er) fields as it just makes the defensive nature of most games even more so with players crowded into a smaller area. The only other example of variable field size I can think of is the outfield fences in baseball--the distance to them--which I also don't like. Fields should be one size, IMO. I mean, can you imagine playing basketball on a courts that vary in length and width? It would be bizarre.

17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Do you always take things so literally? What percentages would you give the game? I would think the number one ranked team, even on the road, would be pretty close to at least 50-50.
    I think your speed with Jarret will give us a hard time. Our best bet is to control the midfield, which will be very hard against UVA.

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I take things as I read them. I think home field is a huge advantage for a team. Travel, sleeping away, different routines etc all make it hard. Add in unfamiliar fields, limited support etc. At Klockenr, I would make UVA favorites vs any team in the country.

#1 team means nothing on any given day.

ping repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    You are correct. Miami is a bandbox. For the UVA game they reduced it to the minimum !! NC State is pretty narrow. Most fields that have running tracks around them are. Only way you can ensure the integrity of distances. Miami and NC State are both running track fields

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    For context.. Pitt and Syracuse both won at home last night. Im pretty confident they both lose if those are road games.

21. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    From my limited perspective I've found your home field advantage comments to be generally true for football at so many different levels. Of course it is probably just confirmation bias on my part.

On the flip side, odds are what the oddsmakers say they are and can diverge and/or change constantly depending on who is posting them and what algorithms and statistical models are being used. Oddsmaker Tom81 says they are 50/50. Oddsmaker Number007 says XX/XX. I say you both are right!

Along your line of "#1 team means nothing on any given day" the same can be said of the odds or home field advantage or any other thing on any given day which is cool when your team wins and blows when your team loses.

Tom81 repped this.
  22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was going to bring up this point, except that it messed with my "expectations" narrative. This is very true. What may be even more remarkable than the 4 goals in 13 games bit is that keepers Laurel Ivory (12 games) and Michaela Moran (1 game) have only had to make 4 or 5 real saves all year. Teams are simply not able to put shots on target against the Cavalier defense. By contrast, on an off night for Virginia, NC State keeper Berlin had to make three goal saving stops in the game. Credit to her that she did -- it was the reason for the tie -- but Ivory didn't have to make a single save like that.

One other plus, Virginia has not conceded a single goal off a corner this year. Last year at this point, we had given up four, including a game winner and a game tying goal. We weren't good in the air last year and lost our two best aerial defenders: Brianna Westrup to graduation and Lizzie Sieracki to ACL injury. And still, no goals conceded on corners. Ivory is marginally better on the corner, having finally learned to punch the ball.

23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had a chance to catch up with Prince Akeem Joffer of Tomahawk Nation to get him to answer a few questions about the 'Noles ahead of Sunday's showdown: https://hoosplace.com/content.php?inc=2019101106

Let me take a moment to congratulate the Florida State Seminoles, last year's College Cup (what soccer calls the Final Four) champions. It was a great accomplishment, and yet another accolade for the ACC, which is the best soccer conference in the country. As you are no doubt aware, Prince, Virginia were national champions in hoops last year, famously coming back after having the been first #1 seed to be eliminated by a #16 seed. That redemption narrative wrote itself. So, Prince, what was the narrative for the women last year?

Interesting question. The narrative could have been “the return”. FSU had made the College Cup in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 but had missed out in 2016 and 2017. With last year’s success the team made it back and the program is hoping to put together another run in the College Cup like they had in 2011-2015.

Phoebe McClernon is my favorite player for UVa, and I think she is a stunningly great defensive center back. But, if there was a defender better than her last year, it surely must have been Natalia Kuikka. How has the team responded in the back to her departure?

One of the big reasons for FSU’s success last year was that the defense improved drastically. In last year’s championship year the Seminoles only conceded 13 goals in 27 games (.481 gaa) while in 2017 the Noles conceded 21 goals in 21 games (1.0 gaa). That is obviously a huge improvement and was probably the major key to the winning the championship. Kuikka had a lot to do with the defensive success last year especially considering that FSU was replacing former All-American goalkeeper Cassie Miller.

This year the Seminoles have allowed 15 goals in 12 games (1.25 gaa). That is a huge regression from last year and is even worse than 2017. The issues in the back are the biggest achilles heel for this team and if they don’t get better at stopping goals it is tough to see how they will return to the College Cup, much less defend the title.

This isn’t all due to Kuikka’s absence obviously but to answer your question of how well they have responded to losing her; not great.

Yujie Zhao has received multiple accolades, both last year and this year in pre-season. She hasn't impressed me in the games I've seen of her. In my kickoff column this year, I did write that fellow sophomore Jaelin Howell was going to be ACC Player of the Year her senior year, so that should give you an idea of who I think is more important. Am I right? Who is better?

They are really different players and the question of who is better is slightly different than the question of who is more important. Howell right now is probably more important because FSU does not have another player who can do what she does for the team from her holding midfield spot. She is really good at tackling and getting the ball back for her team. The defensive issues I discussed above would likely be far worse without her on the field.

Zhao is a creator and she is very good. She has gotten off to a bit of a slow start this year but don’t sleep on her as she is really talented. However, FSU has other creators (Deyna Castellanos, Jenna Nighswonger) but they don’t have a anyone who can get the ball back as decisively has Howell. Therefore, for roster construction reasons Howell is probably more important to the team.

Both Duke and Penn State, ostensible top 10 teams, have both come out and parked the bus against UVa. I suspect you've seen your share of bunkering as well. What has been coach Mark Krikorian's strategy for defeating a five-in-the-back defensive tactic?

His strategy is to keep things the same. He basically plays the same possession strategy against any defense (with rare exceptions like the Stanford game in 2017) and challenges the opponent to deal with it.

You won’t have to worry about this top 10 team parking the bus against you. This will be a real game.

I am sure Virginia keeper, Laurel Ivory, still has nightmares about Deyna Castellanos. I, for one, thought she was going to get drafted and she would have departed the ACC by now. We're both disappointed. Just how good is Castellanos, and what does she bring to her team?

Very good and everything. Next question.

Just kidding.

She is a former finalist for FIFA’s best women’s player award and while that honor was controversial she remains one of the best players in the nation. She has also matured into one of the team leaders in the locker room. She has worked to improve her game. She was always very talented offensively and a wizard on the ball. However, she has now added a bit of toughness to her game. It is not uncommon for her to track back and tackle opposing attackers. She is not afraid to do the dirty work now and that makes her a much more rounded player.

Her strengths are still her sublime ball striking which shows up in her set-pieces as well as her creativity for herself and her teammates. She is 7th nationally in assists per game. She is a much more complete player now than when she arrived in Tallahassee.

In summary, both of these teams are really good and are clearly 2/3 of the top tier in the ACC along with UNC. This should be a great matchup and could very well be a preview of a College Cup matchup like in 2014 when these two teams met for all the marbles.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF the RPI ratings, through last Sunday's games, are reliable (and that's a big IF):

Florida State: .7124

Virginia: .6647

Home Field Advantage: .0150 (based on a study of the last 36,000+ games)

Location-Adjusted Rating Difference: 0.0627

Florida State likelihoods (also based on a study of the last 36,000+ games):

Win: 75.0%
    Tie: 11.8%
    Loss: 13.2%
    So, if the teams were to play 100 games, FSU would win 75, tie 12, and lose 13.

So say the numbers.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Val, you've outed our gem.
    Prince Akeem Joffer can always be counted on for an objective, in depth game summary.
    He is knowledgeable and doesn't allow bias (if he has any) to slip into
    his write ups.
    I can't disagree with a single thing he said.

I will say that Heather Payne (our freshman CB from Ireland) is not going to
    make Nole fans forget Natalia, but she is missed when she is not there. She was away on Irish NT duties during out 2 losses. Our sub for her has been Clara Robbins(from Stafford, Va),who is a huge step down in the CB. Clara is good and creative in midfield, but not at CB.
    Heather again missed the last 2 games, but she is supposed to be back this Sunday. This time, Mark put Clara in the wide back and pushed Kirsten Pavlisko into the CB role next to Malia Berkely.

That doesn't change the overall point, that FSU's progression in the NCAA field will likely be determined by how well our defense plays.

UVA is certainly capable of putting up numbers on FSU this year. From the results, it will be very hard for FSU to put up numbers on UVA.

What Prince didn't mention is that a huge part of that scoring against FSU has been set pieces, especially corner kicks. We beat BC 5-4 earlier. All 4 of their goals were on set pieces (3 directly and 1 indirectly).
    If I'm UVA, I'm fighting for corner kicks when making wide runs to the box, assuming something better is not there.

Here is a question for Val or 007, or others in the know.
    Which UVA team is better in your opinion.
    This one, or the one that finished 2nd in the CC in 14?