University of Portland Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Purple04, Sep 2, 2002.

1. So far, despite being ranked in the top 5 by every poll, UP has lost their first two games. They dropped a 1-2 decision at BYU and 0-2 at Utah. This is very surprising to me, but without Christine Sinclair they really don't have any other scoring.

You can read the stories here:

BYU 2:1 Portland
    http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3251

Utah 2:0 Portland
    http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3256

More importantly, however, the Oregonian reported today that Clive's cancer is in remission! This is great news, and the best of luck to Clive in his continued fight against his disease. The soccer community in Portland especially has been waiting for any news of his treatment for a long time, and it is wonderful to hear he is doing well.

The full story is here:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...standard.xsl?/base/sports/103096773591490.xml

2. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    thanks for the update

Purple04 you were reading my mind. A loss to a talented BYU might have been shrugged off, but then Utah? I was wondering what's up. And I had not heard anything about Clive since the cancer announcement so it is great to hear the remission announcement.

3. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    The Pilots rebounded today with a 2-0 win over #14 Clemson in the Notre Dame Classic. Goals by Misaki and Sinclair.

A bigger test will be #6 Notre Dame on Sunday.

4. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Fullerton & Nebraska Results (R)

Portland 2 Cal State Fullerton 1 (ot)

Portland 4 Nebraska 0

5. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Portland and Denver Result (R)

Portland 2 Denver 0 Christine Sinclair offensive MVP, Lauren Orlandos defensive MVP UP Nike Tournament Champs.

Portland has won 3 games in 3 days, outscoring its opponents 8-1 That now means that UP have won 5 in a row, counting last weekend.

Looks like they are on a roll and the first two games were not a true indication of this team.

6. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Sinclair is back now so that has helped the team tramendesly

7. Portland 4:0 Nebraska

Portland is good.

Nebraska is not.

It's that simple.

UP took out the starters with 30 minutes to go and even then Nebraska couldn't get anything dangerous together. Portland scored their last two goals with walk-ons in the game.

Nebraska is completely disorganized in midfield and their forwards aren't fast enough to chase down the longballs. (How on earth did this team manage to tie North Carolina?!) Their direct game was pretty effective a few years ago, but it seems like they don't have the pace up front they used to.

As a side note, Christine Sinclair could definitely vie for national POY honors this year. She's very, very good.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3285

8. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Nebraska

Nebraska does need to change their game. More soccer and less kick/chase. Not the team they used to be and no longer getting the top Canadian recruits. Now rely on 2 senior Canadian players too much to get the job done...one forward and one defender. Midfield is very weak. Also, keeper is not playing as well as last year. 40 yard goal cost them a loss to Florida, another bad play caused a big goal in Portland game...add to that a lot of errant keeper kicks right to opposing forwards....

Overall, Nebraska is not a team that should tie UNC on a regular basis, nor is it a team that should lose 4-0 to Portland on a regular basis either.

I saw the UNC game. Nebraska scored early on a 3 person rush to the goal and then solid D limited UNC chances to long range shots. UNC scored on a free kick where no-one was marking the far post...big mental error by Nebraska. UNC was a much better skilled team but didn't look game-fit. Nebraska was doing all the running and UNC looked more tired. Actually UNC was lucky to get the tie.

I heard Nebraska had good momentum early against Portland...2 shots off the crossbar and one off the post. Not sure if the first Sinclair goal was avoidable, but a big mistake by the Nebraska keeper cost them the second goal. Top Nebraska defender left the game early with injury....things went downhill from there.

If top Nebraska players are healthy and keeper plays as well as last year, Nebraska can win a lot of games by outworking better skilled teams. Can't see them advancing beyond sweet sixteen unless they learn how to:
    - play more possession & smarter soccer
    - win more 50/50 balls in the midfield
    - play a more defensive style in the playoffs

This would mean the coach would have to change his approach and the whole team would have to improve....can't see it.

9. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Agree with you on most

but the only real Nebraska shot that had the keeper beat was the one that hit the post. The other two long range efforts were covered by the goal keeper and wouldn't have gone in.

Also, remember that UP took out most of the starters including Sinclair for the last 25 minutes......and!!! UP played a game the day before. Nebraska should be counting their lucky stars.

10. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Rebutal..sort of

I'll take your word on the shots that hit the crossbar...I wasn't at the game.

Personally, I would rank Portland #4 right now and Nebraska around #15. Portland without Sinclair would be another story... lost to 2 unranked teams without her and beat every ranked opponent since her return.... and she scored most of Portland's goals.

Even with Sinclair in the picture, I think Nebraska can do better than a 4-0 whipping... but beat Portland when it counts?? Not unless Nebraska improves a lot, or Sinclair is hurt or Nebraska is just plain lucky.

I know Portland pulled their starters in the latter part of the game...so did Nebraska. The game was over.

11. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
  12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. On a totally different note, it irks me that a non-pdxer Pilots fan like myself cant get a Portland Soccer t-shirt over the web. Or am I wong?

14. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    UP defeated a pesky Harvard 2-1 at the Washington Tournament.

15. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    I must be losing my mind because I was sure I saw some at one point, and now I can't find them to save my life. I must be getting old. :rolleyes:

They do have Pilots Soccer T-shirts, hats, and sweatshirts available at U.P. (the T and sweat-shirts are no great shakes design-wise, IMHO, but I had to have one anyway! The Pilots Soccer baseball cap has the nicest logo), so you can probably call or e-mail the Athletic Department over there and purchase one that way. There is only one design of T-shirt (white) that was soccer-specific that I know of, and I think 2 sweatshirts (grey and purple I think), and one baseball cap (purple as I recall), so if you don't really care what they look like and just want something to support the team then your choices are pretty simple.

16. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    As the article said

Portland isn't playing against Mia Hamm, Cindy Parlow, et al. They are not even playing against the team fromlast year. History does't win you games. If it did, Carolina would have beaten Nebraska and UP would have beaten BYU.

new year, new team, new result?

17. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Portland at Oregon State

The Pilots had to face a tough Beaver team the day after a dominating game against North Carolina.

Portland defeated OSU 2-1 on two goals by Erin Misaki. Both set up by Christine Sinclair

18. piper

piper New Member

19. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    The University of Portland defeated The University of Washington 4-0 on goals from Sinclair (2) Rozwadowska 1 and Patrick 1 One way traffic, 15 shots to 4.

20. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    The two Cunucks really seem to be doing a good job with Portland. I really have a feeling that Portland will make it to the final this year.

21. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    go sincy and roz!!!! :D

elaine

22. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    The # 5 ranked Pilots (10-2-1) defeated instate rivals Oregon (1-7-1) 3-0 in a non conference game on Sunday on goals from Patterson, Rogers and who else, Christine Sinclair.

In a space of one week the Pilots have dispatched all 3 Pacific NW, Pac 10 schools by a combined 9-1 score.

23. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada