University Fire Fans

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Meggie, May 1, 2003.

1. Meggie

Meggie New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any Fire Fans out there who currently attend or recently have attended the University of Illinios at Urbana-Champaign? I am very interested in going to college there after I graduate from high school and I was curious about what people's opinions were.

Thanks

2. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    U of I sucks. There's a couple Fire fans down there including jmeissen0.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you plan to major in?

If you're in CompSci or something similar, then it would be hard to find a better school.

4. Meggie

Meggie New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan to major in Kinesiology, more specifically Athletic Training. I've been down to the campus before, last summer, and I thought it looked pretty nice, and my uncle went there, but thougt it would be a good idea to get some opinions from other sources.

...And why does it suck Alf???

5. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    you ever been to champaign-urbana? boring as hell.

6. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Depending on which way the wind is blowing, the entire campus can smell like cow manure.

But from what I know, it's a good school with a great reputation (at least if you're an engineer... I don't know about athletic training), and if you live in IL, the price is unbelievable.
    You can go there for free practically and you'll still get a good education. (I say this as a u of c student who has to pay unreasonable amounts to attend college... and I'm starting to realize you can get a good education at any school as long as you put effort into your classes... it's the tuition that can really kill you)

7. fireluv

fireluv New Member

Dec 31, 2000
    Chicago/U of I Chamb
    I go to U of I! :D
    oh snaps!
    I want to major in Kines too although I have yet to officially declare it. But I've already taken a few of the Kines courses here, so if you have a question about one of them, let me know.
    are you a hs senior right now?

and don't listen to Justin, he just doesn't like the manure :)

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    The same could be said about Big Soccer.

krolpolski and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Chicago or anything, but its not like there's nothing to do down here. There are 38,000 students here, plus about 100,000 permanent residents of the two cities. What do you want to do that isn't here?

It's a great school, especially if you are studying engineering, business, or education, but there are plenty of great programs. And you can't beat the in-state price. Good sports teams too.

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm going to be going there next year, or this fall, however you look at it. But I've been hearing a lot of things about so much work that there's no free time and have been getting a little concerned. What do you think of the workload?

11. Meggie

Meggie New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you'll just have to apply yourself. I'm used to having zero free time so it doesn't worry me too much.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm sorry, I meant that I am going to u of c. I know a few people that go to u of i and they seem to have a good balance between study and fun time.

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ok, hang on a second. How many U of C students do we have floating around this forum? I thought Flynn, myself, and Clint (though he's an alum now) were the only ones.

SixKick repped this.
  14. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Look, I'll be honest, I go to the University of Chicago (that school in hyde park). It's not a bad place... it's a different type of school, I will certainly say that, but it's not a bad place.

The kids who go here are all much smarter than I am. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say that I am probably the least-smart person here, but I've still been able to get by pretty well. Yes, there is a lot of work, but colleges in general require that you do a lot of work. My friends at other schools seem to be just as busy with work as I am. And just like many colleges, you get out of it what you put into it. You can probably do the absolute bare minimum of work for your classes and still get by, and you can also do all of the work and learn something. But no matter where you are, in order to get a good education you will probably have to do a serious amount of work.

In terms of the students at the U of C, it's true that many are of a "different breed." You might not find a lot of large/ wild parties on campus here, but you also have access to the city of chicago which provides many more entertaining options than state school frat. parties (although can anything be more satisfying than getting your groove on in champaign urbana?). It might take some extra time, but you will probably also be able to find some normal people who have similar interests here (no guarantees, but the student body is diverse enough). If you have any doubts, come and visit the school and you will realize that most kids just complain about how much work they have to do while they procrastinate for large amounts of the day.

I guess this isn't the number one place for partying, but it's solid in its own ways. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

SixKick repped this.
  15. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ps- who is Clint?

16. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I appreciate the info. That's basically what I was hoping to hear.

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Clint Key. He was Secretary-General of MUNUC last year and a regular in Section 8. He posts on here as NCFire.

I assume you've figured out I'm Matt Talbot, since you didn't ask ;)

18. purekovak

purekovak New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i went to uiuc for 5 years, i started in the engineering college and ended up in las. if i could do it again would i still go there? probably, i dont know why anyone would go to a private school like u of c unless they have a full scholarship. uiuc cost me $1500 a year, u of c is probably ten times that. but like others have said, you can get a great education at either school as long as you put forth the effort. there's probably a bit more diversity at uiuc, but if you go to u of c you can live in chicago, which i consider one of the best cities in the country (not counting the horrible weather we have for half the year)

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ¡Holy Cow! Clint Key? I didn't know he was a Fire fan... that would have made munuc a whole lot crazier a few years ago. As it stood, my highlight was watching Dara Gocheski cry after some 15 year old kid bad-mouthed an obscure South-African special interest group.

ps- Matt, I do know who you are. How come I never see you around on campus?
    pps- Do you want to start a student organization for Fire/ soccer supporters? We can get university money. They give away money like crazy these days.

Flynn

20. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'm an alum (AB '92), as is Kevinho, the guy with the trumpet in Section 8. I've got a whole lot of opinions about the place, and I don't regret going there, but I'll just leave you with a quote from a certain former President of the school:

"Knowledge is expensive." -- Hanna Gray

Later,
    COZ (meant to click on the Latin Allstars thread, really)

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dara's an interesting character. I hear she still goes here, but I haven't seen her in well over a year.

Clint was the only person who quite understood why at meetings I made excessive soccer references and had this strange knack for ending up as Argentina all the time.

I live in BJ, so there's a lot of people I don't see - it's like it's own little dysfunctional world. Apparently we were in the IR core together, but I kinda never went to those classes (Tuesday is Champions' League day, screw Mitzen), so I wouldn't know.

As for an RSO, I know of a couple Fire fans scattered around campus, but if you were to talk soccer fans in general, that could get interesting. Do you know anyone in I-House?

22. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you that UIUC sucks unequivocally. They are a bunch of morons who don't deserve the title of university students. If given the choice, I would avoid that place like the plague it is.

23. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think I knew that. You worked for MAB, right? (They've done good work with Summer Breeze this year: Talib Kweli, OK Go, and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones)

24. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A few thoughts: 1) Bela Fleck is the third greatest band ever 2) what does I-house have to do with this? do people actually live there? I thought it was just used as a place to have discussions and speakers 3) we seriously should try to start a soccer-something RSO because we could get university funding and make jerseys or hoodies or something... it could be totally rad.

25. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's grad student housing for international students, and I know for a fact they have a lot of soccer fans there. (By the way, don't ever consider being on an IM soccer team that's playing against I-House. I learned that the hard way last year.)