United's True 44 Game Unbeaten Run

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 28, 2004.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

What did I say about the streak that was inflammatory. Please find me one thing on this thread. One. Please.

I don't believe that. Its a selective criteria - "league only". Yes, its a nice run. Absolutely. I congratulated Arsenal on it, as I congratulated them on winning the league undefeated. That being said, how do you claim an "undefeated" season when you lost to both Chelsea and ManUtd? Seems presumptuous to me.
    Also, its not my "preference" for the CL. Its my preference for trophies. You could, theoretically, finish the season undefeated and not win the league. Would you be happy with that? No. So clearly, the trophy's the thing.

2. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting. Very interesting.

Arsenal fans would (admittedly) rather gain historical notoriety because of a fluke (yes, losing to Chelsea and United in cups but not in the league is a fluke)...than winning trophies on merit. Fame over honor, eh?

3. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Basically it boils down to that Arsenal fans would rather take the undefeated in the league then winning in Europe because Arsenal doesn't have the character to go far against the top teams in Europe.

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define a "fluke". If you mean that you need skill, brains, guts and some luck to accomplish a long run, then I agree with you. I think this thread is about a team that combined those things to make a great run. If you mean a "fluke" in a perjorative sense, then I disagree with you.
    We clearly won the league on merit last year, as you did the year before. I don't get your point when you say "than winning trophies on merit". As to your "Fame over honor" comment, well, all I can say is that to win the league without loss, no matter who does it is winning both fame and honor.

5. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It boils down to you lot have a 44 game run that you are rightfully proud of; we have a 49 game run that we are rightfully proud of.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Getting pitiful guys. Arsenal's run is great but vastly over-hyped. The run by Man Utd is a lot better because it covers all competitions against better opposition. Thus the tag of "immortals" would be more suited to the Man Utd run. For any Arsenal fan to state that they prefer their run is crazy. ONE league or a TREBLE? I know what any sensible would choose.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Absolutely. But its unseemly, imho, to trumpet that as an "immortal undefeated" season when two Premiership teams beat you, albeit in different competitions.

8. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still left wondering though that if it was such a great run and in your "not so " humble opinion better than the Arsenal run, why is it not being touted? Why are there not special trophies commermorating your wonderful unbeaten run?
    Gee apparently no one WANTS to give your unbeaten run the "immortal" tag so get over it.......

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's our point. The press has completely over-hyped the Arsenal run. :rolleyes:

10. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX

Well that is probably a combination of a couple of things.

1) The treble was such a huge accomplishment that the 44 unbeaten games streak was a side note. (Pretty dang big for a 44 game unbeaten streak to be a side note.)

2) The streak doesn't tie up in a nice little bow. Manu wasn't unbeaten for the season in the EPL and I believe they also weren't unbeaten in the CL.

I would tend to think it would be mainly my first reason.

11. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I agree the press has overhyped the run. It is a great accomplishment(which I believe you have acknowledged), but what really matters is trophies.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If your run of 49 games was over the course of two seasons rather than one, it wouldn't have gotten nearly the hype that it did either. What clinched it was the trophy. Do you think you'd have been the Invincibles had you drawn your last 6 games and we'd pipped you for the title?

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Shhhhh...

That was my secret fear all last season: undefeated in the League and still short of the title.

14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Motterman and supermods - I think we have a problem - it looks like someone has hacked into Acro's account....... :p

15. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    well, I had to go all the way to . . . . . your very first post on this, though there's much more further along. Your comments about how exciting it is to beat Southampton and Crystal Palace for the 43rd time (you seem to forget the number of Chelski games in the streak, among others) are typical of your condescending, belittling attitude in basically everything you've said in this thread. Jealousy is a very uncomely thing, even on a message board. If you don't like the streak the Immortals have put together, then go back to Stamford Bridge and sit there for 100 years, hoping against odds that your team could accomplish what Arsenal has.

I'm not going to induge your silly hypotheticals about if we had tied all 38 games or something. Don't be silly. Though the title was very much up for grabs for a good part of the season, Arsenal ended up running away with the league last year toward the end. We had what, 5 games that didn't mean anything as far as the title goes? Not exactly a squeaker.

16. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    I always have to chuckle when I find a discussion where Chelski fans put an emphasis on winning trophies. Again I ask you, when was the last time Chelski won a trophy? As Napoleon once said, you don't worry about the barn burning down when the house is on fire!

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    There's nothing inflammatory about that post, certainly not from a simple opinion that I don't value such streaks all that highly. I've said the same of this "44 game streak".

:rolleyes: Are you willfully obtuse? That comment was in retaliation to a post that suggested that the CL isn't that interesting, since champions don't perform. I countered by suggesting that its far more impressive in my mind to defeat Barcelona at the Nou Camp than West Brom to continue a 43 game unbeaten streak, rather than a 44 game one.
    As for Chelsea games - so what? We're not the point. You've made your streak the point!

:rolleyes: Again with the jealousy. Ask Coach - I congratulated you on both winning the league and breaking the streak. If I'm jealous, I have a funny way of showing it.

Christ, you're dumber than a bucket of retarded lobotomized monkeys. It has nothing to do with me disliking the streak, merely my opinion that its not as impressive as you think.

LOL. Funny - Coach just did so a few posts above. That's why I actually respect him as a fan. Its a perfectly logical and even necessary question.

You would need the mental acuity of a stuffed chipmunk to infer that I claimed the league was close.
    HAD YOU drawn your last six games, and we won them, you'd be Invincible second place winners. It didn't happen - you won the league. Congratulations. But clearly its the winning the league that's key, not the unbeaten run. Otherwise, you'd have been more of a running joke.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    What does this have to do with Arsenal's streak? Perhaps its our lack of trophies that makes us put an emphasis on trophies?
    Were you molested by logic at an early age and choose to eschew it from that day on?

I think so Brain, but me and Pippy Longstockings? I mean, what would the kids look like?

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Taxi for ZonaGunner... :rolleyes:

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. IMHO winning the league without loss is a tremendous achievement in large part due to the fact that it has only been occured twice in the 115 years of the league. In accomplishing this we won 49 league matches in a row, an achievement any team would be proud to have accomplished. Now Motter has pointed out that ManU had a 44 game unbeaten run in all competitions. The one does not take away from the other. Both are phenomenal achievements by phenomenal teams.

I'm sure you are justifiably proud at the achievements of your team. Making the final of the CL is an impressive achievement. You finished second in the best league in the world (IMO) where the winner went undefeated. Your team has a lot to be proud of. Are their achievements lessened because of the "unseemly" trumpeting of an "immortal undefeated" season. I don't think so. Is it overshadowed? I think one can justifiably argue that it has been. Just like ManU's 44 game streak was overshadowed by the treble. The greater achievement always gets a disproportionate amount of the press.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the original question posed was whether we would prefer to have two more losses in league play and have won the games against ManU and Chelsea in the cup semis. Winning those games would have given us the only the OPPORTUNITY to play for a treble, not the treble itself, so I responded to the question that I thought was being asked. And I still say, that for me personally, winning the league without loss is the rarer achievement so that I would stay with that for last year. This year, because of the undefeated league season just passed, I would personally prefer to have a chance at the treble than a chance at going undefeated (and yes, I know it is a purely academic discussion at this point).

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    We made it to the semis, topcat. But I can completely understand your opinion. The reason I think ZonaGunner's dumber than a sack of minced kittens is that he's just an idiot.

22. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, I'll leave you to be the expert about sacks of minced kittens and molestations and Pippy Longstockings and all the other odd things you seem to want to talk about. You really are funny how you try to come up with these comebacks to everything I say. But quality is not the same thing as quantity.

If Chelski had a 49 game unbeaten string or a 44 game unbeaten string or anything of note, you'd be all over it. And I agree that your team's lack of trophies probably twists your perspective of the value of a trophy vs. a unrivaled undefeated streak.

23. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    This has to be a big and resounding YES!

I love the fact that we have the record for the longest unbeaten sequence in the english league, and it is a real achivement that I'm damned proud of. And no matter what anybody says, then going a season without defeat in the league is a massive thing. The last time it happend where in 1998/1999 which should put it into perspective.

However as a lot of, mainly, ManU supporters have pointed out it doesn't win you any trophies. And when the two matches you mention involves the two teams I hate the most, then I would happily trade a league loss for a cup win. Unfortunately that didn't happen (by the way it's Chelski first then you lot second).

KJ

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Blah blah blah. All your Gunner friends seem to value trophies more than a streak which doesn't even guarantee any trophies.
    But hey - I guess you'd be happy finishing second in the league despite not losing a game.
    At this point, I'm pretty sure you only wish you were as dumb as a bag of minced kittens.

25. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Heres the point though outside of your unbeaten streak in this league which is not really totally unbeaten since in that year you lost twice to us and chelsea what has Arsenal really accomplished? no european glory which is the equivalent of winning on the world stage. WOW YOU GUYS ARE TRULY THE BIG FISH IN THE SMALL POND. That is the exact reason you're jealous of MAN U and all our accomplishments.