United's True 44 Game Unbeaten Run

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Short answer: YES

Having a shot at a 3rd straight FA Cup (and against Millwall I would hope Arsenal would have gotten a win) was very, very high on my wish list (yeah, I'm still in love with the romanticism of the FA Cup even though its value may have diminished over the years).

I'm not all that enamored with the Champions League. Yeah, it'd be nice to beat the best and get all that money, but when you're playing (and sometimes losing) to teams that weren't even Champions, it's hard to get that excited about it.

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

My one problem with this quote is the fact that me being a relative newbie doesn't mean i cant A) state my opinion because isnt that what these forums are about and B) know what i'm talkin about since looking at the quotes for the last bunch of days comin from the arsenal faithful and organization are not about being outplayd they are excuses that they were cheated which is BS. Teams lose thats what happens accept it and move on. At least it was to Man U a top flight team and not to someone like Palace who is barely surviving in the Premiership.

3. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Honestly, it'd be tempting, but in the end, I would stick with what we got. I think that the 49 game unbeaten streak will go down as being more memorable in the history of football than any single title win would be, even in Europe. After all, every year someone wins the FA Cup and CL. The 49 game unbeaten string is a truly unique accomplishment that probably will get more appreciation as time goes by. That's my opinion.

4. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nice contribution to the discussion!

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :rolleyes: Yes, its far more exciting to beat Crystal Palace and Southampton for a 43rd consecutive undefeated game in the Premiership than to, say, beat Barcelona in the Nou Camp. Riiiiiiiiight.

6. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Thanks I try my absolute hardest to further conversation.

7. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    their arsenal fans, their for what sounds the best...not wat is the best.

8. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, Chelski has gone unbeaten in the league for 49 games exactly how many times? And I don't recall Barcelona at Nou Camp being one of the options discussed, so try to follow the discussion a bit closer, especially if you're going to go after people. And Crystal Palace was part of the 49 game unbeaten streak exactly zero times. But don't let facts stand in your way of a good troll. Oh, by the way, when was the last time Chelski won something? Please remind me.

Try to give an honest response and all you get are clowns piling on.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I actually got neg rep for that post - wow!

How is that relevant to your stupid point of "CL isn't as exciting because you play non-champions"?
    Hey - why don't you refuse to enter it next time you finish second. You know, otherwise it wouldn't be fair. Not that it matters, of course.

You claimed the CL wasn't as impressive. If you know of any other competition where Arsenal can play Barcelona, please let me know. Oh, and just to remind you, its been a while since Barca have won a LaLiga crown. So the Nou Camp wouldn't be all that impressive according to you.

Whoooooooosh.

Check the definitions of "trolling". This isn't even your board! If I wanted to troll, believe me, you'd know it.

I won't do your research.

You said something remarkably stupid to make your point about the Premiership streak more impressive. Honest my ass. Everyone on your board would take a CL win over an undefeated Premiership season.

10. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    My you have an active imagination. I gave my reasons for why I'd prefer the 49 game unbeaten run instead of an FA Cup and CL win. You may not agree with me, but I was hardly over the top in my comments. But instead of responding in a reasonable manner, you have to be a jerk and turn it into an argument. Real nice. Try actually reading what I posted. I said nothing about playing non-champs in the CL. Sheesh!

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Nicephoras dont sweat it that ARSEHOLE zonagunner neg repped me as well. Some people cant take losing sucks for them.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Jeeeesus, can you read? I did not respond to you! This is the post I quoted:

Was that you? No, that was ArsenalGooner.
    So why the flying ******** are you complaining about my mischaracterizations of your post when I didn't even reply to you? Did someone put stupid in your coffee this morning?

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    LOL Even if I cared, he can't affect me.

14. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    You may not have responded to me directly, but your comments were nonsense and then you did start making things up about what I posted. Look at your post. You claim I said all these things about the CL and Barcelona, and on and on, which is simply fiction. Or are you going to be like Bill Clinton and claim that when you say "you" you don't really mean "you"? I may have jumped in on your initial response to the other poster to try to note your many inaccuracies, but your fiction about what you think I said if far greater! But don't let that stand in your way of your jealousy of Arsenal.

Achtung. This is the last time I try to make a reasoned response to a question you put forth, as all it does is stir up this type of mindless yelping.

Ha, I got nine negative reps? What a bunch of twits.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You defended someone else's posts. You step into the shoes of their argument.

No, you dipshit, it was the person whom I quoted!

You may need to check CSPAN and Congressional records, as Clinton never did that.

You defending his argument. Thus, you step into his shoes. I can't respond to you defending his argument by ignoring his argument. Its common logic. If you say "no, Jeffrey Dahmer was correct", and I reply "you're an idiot", you don't have the "but I'm not Jeffrey Dahmer" defense. You're still an idiot.
    You would, however, still have the Chewbacca defense.

ROTFLMAO. Now who's making things up?

Now you're blaming Achtung? LOL. Classy.

You gave them out first. If you can't stand the heat, order takeout.

16. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Earth to nicephoras. What a tool you are. I didn't say anything about his post, so I don't step into the shoes of anything. I just pointed out your blatant inaccuracies, which obviously has struck a nerve with you.

At least we confirmed you don't know what "you" means, which helps me understand your irrationalities.

Are you really this stupid? I'm not blaming Achtung, just saying I won't bother to try to give a reasonable response when people like you are lurking who have to step in and hijack the discussion.

17. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Affect you? You sound like some grade school kid on the playground.

So, trying to rescue this thread from the unfortunate detour it has been sent on, tell me, if Chelsea were in Arsenal's shoes, would you rather have the CL and FA Cup wins, but lose the 49 game unbeaten run?

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Dude, I replied to his post! My post has to be read within the meaning of his post! He says "the CL doesn't impress me that much". Which is pretty ironic, coming from an Arsenal fan, since you've done fcuk all in that competition. Bit like a QPR fan stating "I don't think the Premiership trophy is that big a deal". So I respond, "boy, I'm sure its more impressive to pick up win 43 in a row against Crystal Palace (obviously not meant to be taken literally) than winning at the Nou Camp, because Barca aren't champions."
    You barge in with stupid "Barca was never an option", when his post of "CL is not impressive" clearly makes it one!
    And then you complain I misunderstand?
    I hope carnivorous ticks use your rectum for a picnic.

You're going to argue with a lawyer over the definitin of words? Good plan, chuckles.

A. Why use Achtung's name? He had nothing to do with my post.
    B. Its not my fault you can't read.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I have more green nipples than you. Duh.

Much rather. Not even close.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I'm not paying attention fellas? An Arsenal fan and a Chelsea fan faking a flame war trying to steer our thread off topic.

No more, I say!

:D

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Plenty of carnivorous ticks to go around Motter! ;)

22. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nicephoras, you make comments that are obviously inflamatory regarding Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run then you are shocked when you are called on it. When you make such comments you have to expect Arsenal fans to call you on it. That's it for me.

As you're preference for the CL and FA Cup wins, that's certainly a reasonable choice also. To me I just think the 49 game unbeaten run will have a much more hallowed place in history than maybe winning another FA Cup and maybe winning the CL. Reasonably, the FA Cup win would have been very likely given Millwall being the opponent in the final, but Porto was a very tough CL team last year so winning the CL would have been far from a sure thing. I don't get why some people don't seem to place much value on an achievement that is unmatched in English football history. Hardware is great, but certain achievements transcend just having another trophy in the cabinet and this is clearly one of them.

23. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Fight fight!!

24. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, a run of 44 unbeaten matches is very impressive. It is a record of which ManU is and should be proud.

A question that has been asked is if we (I in this case) would give up two of our wins to have had a better shot at the treble. I think there are cases to be made on each side.

First choice- setting the unbeaten EPL record- Had not been done since the founding year of the first division.

Second choice- Chance at the treble. A treble is an incredible honor and speaks much about the character, quality and luck of the team winning it. It has been acheived in recent memory. As has been pointed out, Arsenal would have likely won the FA Cup against Millwall. The CL Final against Porto would have been tough, and the defensive tactics played by Porto is probably the toughest thing for Arsenal to play against, IMHO.

All in all, I think I would prefer to stay with the undefeated season, just because of it's historical rarity. For this year, I would not answer the same, because the unbeaten season has now been done. Even if we still had a chance at an unbeaten season this year, if I had the choice between that and a shot at the treble, I would definitely pick the treble.

25. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As the person who posted the message that apparently got the ball rolling on the Chelsea v. Arsenal discussion, I apologize. My point was that I would give up the undefeated season (while still winning the Premiership) to win the FA Cup a 3rd straight time. That hasn't been done in quite a while either. I just happen to like the domestic competitions a whole lot more than the European ones... Just my personal opinion, don't jump all over me!

Maybe not liking the Euro competition as much as the domestic competition has something to do with Arsenal's inability to progress past the Quarters in the CL (not that they haven't ever done well in Euro compeition), but that's another topic for a different forum...