United to play some games in Baltimore?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by supersoft, Apr 18, 2007.

1. supersoft

supersoft Member

May 3, 2002
    Baltimore
    http://www.mddailyrecord.com/article.cfm?id=940&type=UTTM

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Isn't this the 3rd year in a row something like this has been announced?
    Speaking as a resident of Baltimore I would prefer they didn't, why?

I would rather drive an hour to see them play at RFK than to go to a baseball field in my own town, to see a friendly.

3. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Exhibitions - no problem

Regular season games - no way

Also - Camden Yards? I can't imagine the sight lines would make for a good game. I think Eric tried to lay a soccer field in there before and it was pretty bad.

M&T - Field turf - so while not horrible I still would not want it to happen.

Want to expand your influence in Baltimore (which is an indirect acknowledgement they are concerned about Philly getting an expansion team) - try some advertising.

Set up a relationship with CP USA. Hold events up here.

4. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I'd hate to see us purposefully pick a baseball field, but that would be better than FedEx in my opinion.

-dave

5. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    And Goff delivers again - in his blog he says this may be for the Superliga matches we can't play in RFK b/c of the Nats.

6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i'd rather them go anywhere than fedex.

i would vote for UMD!

7. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on the event (USOC?), Homewood Field might work well. It seats about 8500. Apparently it has "Sportexe Momentum Turf" though, and I have no idea how well that would work for soccer. When I played there they had some brutal astroturf stuff that finished off my knees for good, but the current turf is pretty new.

Parking's a bear in that neighborhood though. Train to Penn Station + taxi would probably be your best bet if they had a game at Homewood during the week.

I don't think I'd like a game at either Camden Yards or the football stadium though. Don't get me wrong- I love Camden Yards, I just don't think it would work very well.

Any DCU game would be the most interesting game played in Baltimore since USA-Ecuador at Memorial Stadium though, wouldn't it? Too bad Memorial Stadium isn't still around.

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Ludwig would be an awesome venue - like a better version of the soccerplex - but it would be too small. And I don't know if Byrd would work.

Does anyone here have any experience with Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium? Are the seats close enough to the field for it to be a worthwhile soccer venue?

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    How many games have been played in Baltimore since then?

That Memorial Stadium game was weird from a fan perspective. The hardcores were put in the right field bleachers.

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i was thinking byrd....ludwig would be awesome!

for navy, its alright, im gg to try to catch a crystal palace match there just for the hell of it, im in annapolis alot visiting friends anyway, so might as well check it out

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's Johnny U. stadium at Towson. But its got a track around it, which will make the crowd less of an issue. But its got artificial turf, which may be an advantage against Mexican teams.

12. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I have been on the field. The field is actually sunk into the ground the seats are pretty damn close. Field turf though.

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a majority of my games, which must be terribly popular because I never hear about anyone being able to find tickets to them.

14. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    BINGO! I do believe there is a guy up here in baltimore that works for DC that is doing his best to promote the team up here. He does post on BS and he is very motivated, in time I believe these sorts of things will improve.

(side note) I saw a lady with ehr child in Target in Towson wearing one of those winter DC coats the kind Soehn and Nowak always wore. Love seeing DC gear up here.

BITE YER TONGUE! I live four hosues from the old stadium grounds and things are FAR FAR better than they were in this neighborhood. Drunks constantly pissing and passing out on your lawn parking being all but impossible 3-4 days a week during the Baseball/ Football overlap. No thanks!

Although, I must say the tailgating in my backyard and the walk from my house to the game and post game would be excellent. Lord knows I have seasoned my neighbors to my brand of drunken debauchery, so I wouldn't feel too bad about upsetting them.:D

15. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Baltimore has some of the best amateur and youth teams in the country but we rarely get any top-level games here. I think Loyola has the only men's D1 program in the city (Morgan and Coppin don't have programs, UMBC and Towson are both in the County), and Hopkins has a pretty good D3 program.

The pickup games in Patterson Park can be pretty fun to watch though.

16. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you remember what I do for a living, right? :D

I definitely understand about Memorial not being a good neighbor, particular during football season. I also certainly commiserate about both drunks and parking- I live in Upper Fells Point. That being said, that was a pretty decent stadium with a lot of history and it was a disgrace the way the Memorial part of the stadium wasn't preserved in any way. Any decent architect could have put all of the new functions of that space in and around the existing structure in a sensitive way. In fact, I have drawings representing just that idea right here in my office...

Sorry to go OT.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I understand and respect your opinoin on that. Preserving the "Memorial" in Memorial Stadium was poorly passed over, but the stadium not being there has actually helped grow the neighborhood. The less than spectacular "memorial" they have put there is nice but doesn't do the original plans any justice.

And isn't Northern Fells Point simply referred to as Butcher's Hill?

18. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    Pints thanks for the kind words. I have been with DCU for one year today.
    I live in Baltimore (White Marsh to be exact) I am trying to push for more DCU info. in the Baltimore Market. I feel that I am doing an ok job at getting into the Baltimore Community and I am hoping that the reception we are doing will be a giant leap.
    The article was wrong in some aspects. We will never play a regular season match anywhere, but RFK.
    International Competitions and friendlies are the only way a DCU game will be played in Baltimore.
    My toughest roadblock in getting more Baltimore fans out is that they feel DC is in another world. The drive is not as bad as people make it out to be especially on game day.
    If wants to contact me or has any plans on watching DC on the 28th please let me know. I would love to get together with more Baltimore-area fans.

410-302-3613 or pletts@dcunited.com

19. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United

Lemme guess ... the kid looked a lot like Santino Quaranta?

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Don't forget Goucher & Villa Julie (DIII) in the County.

Our problem here in Baltimore is the lack of a good venue. Memorial had the potential to be outfitted properly, but of course it's not around any longer.

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they all around here?

22. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Another world! Ha!

Don't know if you remember, but it was nice meeting you at the tailgate Pat.

You can feel free to use me as an example to people who think its a "long drive". :D

23. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    Play the Superliga matches here in Baltimore... I wouldn't mind seeing top flight football here in Charm City. Besides having the match at Camden Yards - you have tailgating lots plus plenty of good pubs within walking distance (Fed Hill, Inner Harbor).

24. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Down to the neck tattoo

25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The trouble is we don't know what kind of game it will be, even if its supposed to be for a possible SuperLiga playoff game - If its against another MLS team, then it'd be for the reserves, and we wouldn't need a big place and would be far better off in something modest

But if its against a Mexican team, regardless of what we and the other team field, the pro-Mexican crowd will be big - And we would need something like M&T or even Camden - Can you imagine the joy of the Nats, while DC United and their opponents chew up the Orioles field on a wet, rainy night?:p