PBP: United States vs Trinidad & Tobago; 6/22/19; 8pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 22, 2019.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repeat: Miserable bastards.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    superdave repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you ask Zardes to work hard, play smart, and focus on scoring, he’s...reasonable. Not good, but he can do a job.

Asking him to help with the build up or maintain possession is bad coaching and setting him up to fail.

sitruc, Berks, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If Sargent scored that second people would be gushing about a class finish.

Berks and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  5. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It is always like that

jnielsen and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Being happy is not the same as being satisfied.

Today, I'm happy.

jnielsen, zanderbz, KCbus and 1 other person repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am no huge MB apologist (or critic tbd) but MB forward touches were key on goals 1 (fairly mundane and a bit behind, but still important), 2 (in particular a very good ball) and 6 (also a simple but well-played ball). He also had a less elegant touch to help the move on goal 3. I mean, you can only play against who you play against, and he had two pretty dangerous turnovers, one fairly early, but "backpacking MB90" is pretty silly today.

gogorath, Mr Martin, ayers and 3 others repped this.
  8. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    You would only be satisfied if we had gotten out of the group in Qatar today.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    You called it. Well done,

10. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    @70runner has an agenda and it has failed. And it's an example why I don't spend much time here anymore. Objective analysis doesn't exist on BigSoccer

ayers and KCbus repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit.

This is like when you get a 60 degree day in February, when it's been in the teens and 20s for two solid months straight. It's only one day, and you don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to stay that way forever. But you still fire up the grill.

Just enjoy it for one night.

Berks, gunnerfan7, PalmettoSpur and 5 others repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nah, there's plenty of good objective analysis on BS, but it's a bit like lettuce, you got to dig it up and triple rinse it and spin off the crap - think of it as fertilizer. You need a lot of poo to make good stuff grown strong.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    THIS^^^ It got that cold this Feb a couple of times and we were all huddled around the grill in our brand new Canada Goose with fur snorkels (tag still on - like when do we get to wear them?), like, will this ever end or are we going to die of frostbite!!!! Thank god it went up to 75 and sunny the next day. That was scary!

That is what you meant, right?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's the goal. Surviving the group in Qatar.

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are those of us who think 60 is still frigid.

I grew up in Dubai. I still remember the Emiratis going out in heavy Russian-style fur coats and fur caps, as if they were in Siberia in the dead of winter, whenever the temperature dropped below 60.

After moving back to the US, I thought Houston had 5 months of winter every year.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think people are still complaining because they expect a lot more from this team and GB then we're getting. Winning 6-0 is nice for confidence but remember who we were playing. This T&T team has not scored any goals and 8 against in two games. Theyre going home so a big win against them doesnt mean much. The fact is that we struggled for a long time against them and we shouldnt have. For me, the difference was when Morris came on. I am not a fan but last night, things just seemed to open up with his presence, more than before he entered.
    A few other comments ,,,,, I still dont like Bradley and absolutely dont like him driving the offense. His long passes to the wings worked well last night. Best thing I can say is that he keeps Trapp off the field. We'll see how he looks when we get to the knock out round and he has to play defense. I still think Zardes is crap but he did have one good goal and one tap in. Im sure this will cement him in that spot in GBs eyes and based on what little we say of Jozy, it might be the best option on this roster. Jozy looked useless to me.
    All in all, good win but we should not struggle against the likes of T&T as much as we did. I do not see this team going far in the GC. We'll reassess after Panama. Based on other group results, we should expect to win that one too

BERich repped this.
  17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will enjoy the win and realize that things need to get better.

It is possible to do both.

jnielsen and freisland repped this.
  18. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's weird to be new here and to see so many people upset after a big win. I guess I'll have to "learn" the politics of it all, although I'd rather just enjoy watching our boys win a great game.

19. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you rep someone? Because I'd like to rep this post.

ayers repped this.
  20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the short term goal is to win the Gold Cup then yes there are immediate problems that could be addressed.

However, if the long term goal is the World Cup then just keep in mind that that tournament is a long ways away and many of the players (and possibly the coach who knows) who are playing right now will not be playing at that tournament.

It’s a long journey.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That was fun.

Let's do it again on Wednesday.

PalmettoSpur and freisland repped this.
  22. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    there's a "rep" button next to the "quote" button.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Nobody here is saying it means much. It’s an argument between people who think it means something and people who think it means nothing.
    2. We won 6-0. That’s struggling? You’ve got problems.

PalmettoSpur, KCbus and ayers repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We made very good second half adjustments for a second straight match and pounded another Caribbean team the way we should at home.

Hopefully we do the same against a central american foe who has given us problems in this tournament.
    I think we can.

25. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

The WC is the only goal we should be focused on after the dreariness of not qualifying. Sadly though, the USSF wanted results more than likely and perhaps pressed GB into having a more experienced roster. It sucks because so many on this roster will not likely even be on the WC 2022 roster (if we qualify).

Getting our youngsters who are all but assured of being on the roster for 2022 more playing time with the National team was more important to me for this tournament.

Fools GOLD CUP wins wont really prepare us for the rigors of playing in Central American countries on their turf if we dont prepare the ones who will be on the roster. I have said this time and time again.. Sargent is one who was foolishly left off the roster. I still havnt heard why and I think it should have been explained since he said that he didnt want Josh in the U20 WC because he wanted him here.

But truthfully there are a ton of players who deserved consideration over players like...
    Gonzalez
    Trapp
    Lovitz

Im not sure why these guys were even rostered as there were better options to prepare some younger players with a camp experience getting ready for 2020 March

jnielsen repped this.