PBP: United States vs Ghana; 7/1; 5pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Rowe is doing ok, this is Corona's team, good for him, hoping Bruce brings Torres in the future as well.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    All of our attacking players have been good today, although to be honest I think it's partly attributable to some horrid Ghanian defending so far. They really, really need to regroup.

jnielsen and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, should have been red. But at the same time I'm glad it's still 11 v 11; better that way for our preparation.

Lookingforleftbacks, Berks and neems repped this.
  4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta needs a little more disciple in his positioning. The gap has been a little large at times in front of the CB's.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you type really well. I'm proud of you overcoming the difficulties.

6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I have my hopes that Ghana can turn their campaign around. I've seen far too many snooze fests from Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, and Egypt to count, and just enjoy the flair of many Sub-Saharan African teams so much more (primarily Ghana, Ivory Coast, Zambia, Senegal, Burkina Faso, and Cameroon and Nigeria when they have their <blank> together, could also mention D.R. Congo who seem to be turning a corner lately).

For Ghana to qualify though, one of three things needs to happen:

Ghana needs Egypt to falter, while they collect all home points, and 4 at minimum on the road.

Ghana needs to sweep 3 points in all remaining games, and they need Egypt to lose another road game beyond their match at Ghana at the conclusion of group play.

I think Ghana can qualify if they collect 4 wins in their 4 games, and Egypt lose to Ghana and draw another match if memory serves.

Right now my desires are being fulfilled except with Ghana, and in that insane group of death with Nigeria, Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria (cycle after cycle CAF seems to do a horrible job of qualifying their best teams) I think the last cycle was a rare instance in which nearly all of their truly best sides made it (except Egypt). To me, if one were to rate the very best sides in Africa, Qualifying Group B would house 4 of the 7 or 8 strongest overall and how you can create a group like that for qualifying is just beyond me. It would be like UEFA having a qualifying Group where only one team advances but Germany, Italy, England, and Portugal are housed in it. It's just stupid.

7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    redundant.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  8. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alert the wires: Guzan made a save!

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yellow to acosta. bahahahahaha

10. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Acosta is not showing much today. Stupid freekick to give up. Hospital balls all over the place.

Dwyer is the only one impressing so far.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    The reason why Corona is looking great is because we have 2 smart players behind him.

Dax and Acosta are looking sharpe, that gives Corona the freedom to showcase his talent.

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Thomas or maybe Simon? No? Simon Peter, then?

Scotty, neems and ShortyMac repped this.
  13. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Acosta is a 6, expect him to do the dirty work.

14. hedur

hedur Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll never understand the argument for more lenient officiating in friendlies. The only valid reason to not see as many cards, especially red, in non-competitive games is because the *play* might not be as aggressive. But if the players commit the fouls, the refs need to act accordingly. There is just no argument for going easy on a player who commits that egregious of a foul. Plus, it puts the players in danger.

15. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Stupid freekick give aways and bad defensive positioning is the opposite of a strong #6

jnielsen repped this.
  16. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have to get better with the mobile format [emoji23]

17. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    He is young, he will get there.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta in no way is a 6

Excellency and CU soccer repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All of this tactical talk and communication between players is causing movement down there.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Rugby is cool.

21. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler telling Acosta to close the damn gap. Love the hand gestures Matt!

Excellency repped this.
  22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta really needs to go to a faster-paced, better league than MLS where he doesn't have so much time when he has the ball

jnielsen and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Yep and figuring out where players stand. It's a friendly and you won't learn much by being up a man against Ghana. Down a man maybe, up a man won't help. I want to see what these guys can do heads up.

Onto a separate topic not brought up by you:

As for Zusi, I imagine he keeps getting run because of chemistry, intangibles/leadership, his corners, and Bruce's efforts to develop depth options going forward.

He has a year (if we qualify) to figure out the first XI, super subs, game killing subs, depths for positions of weakness, youthful pieces that might be able to add key elements a year from now, our best formations for differing kinds of opponents, the overall depth chart in general, and of course to rebuild the mentality that had gone straight down the drain during the Jurgen era. A lot on that to do list. A guy like Zusi is probably there because he hits multiple area's of the check list: Probably chemistry and intangibles for the mentality, probably depth, and probably corners, not enough people are celebrating that Bruce has clearly recognized the weakness of letting Bradley take corners, and Zusi is one of the options there as well.

All that being said, I think his time is past, and I don't see how he can be relevant no matter what impact he has in the room or on corners, to me he just isn't good enough. But Bruce see's more there. I don't see it, but he's such a brilliant man manager that I can't help but think that if its related to chemistry and intangibles he may have a point.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

depends on your desire and soccer iq. I think he's got it but there's only so many spots.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He turns 22 this month. He has time. Cameron didn't move to Stoke until he was 27.