PBP: United States vs Ghana; 7/1; 5pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jul 1, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he caught the passing lanes but there a couple of instances when the LM was beaten and in the ground and Kenny didn't hustle back to cover for his teammate. Bottom line, we need to see more of him.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Wut? The only think Jozy is good at finishing is that hands on the head, how did I miss that first touch/obvious scoring chance/sitter into the stands/nearly a goal, look. He has perfected finishing that look.

He was a more lethal finisher at 16. He had a near unstoppable near post shot that he could get off as quick as Fernando Torres. He had a rocket across the body shot running to his right. He could even tuck in a nice header.

He found that skill again in Dutchland. Now it is probably gone for good. He's forgotten which way the goal faces.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only player who really impressed me all that much was McCarty. I thought he was clearly MOTM. Corona, Rowe, Dwyer, and Acosta all had some nice plays but did enough bad things for me to have enough questions about them to the point where I want to see them more.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    props to Guzan for keeping the game 2-1 with his penalty save.

Excellency repped this.
  5. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill tell you what; neither Wood nor Altidore put that goal away.

6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's a more complete player now and the best forward in the US pool. I know because Matt Doyle told me so.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood could.

LouisZ and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  8. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Occasionally? At shooting distance, it's a coin flip for Guzan at this point.

Put it this way, I absolutely loved that he was in goal when my PL club needed a win for UCL. Didn't you?

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put it this way, Guzan's been on garbage teams for years, shipping goals in a league that none of the top MLS GK's are even sniffing. I'll admit, he's had a bad run of form, though most of the last year he's been glued to the bench.

On the other hand, Guzan has over a decade of experience in the EPL, despite being on Aston Villa and Middlesborough, a longevity comparable only to Timmy Howard, the GK starting over him. And Howard went through his own EPL decline, people said he was done, and then rejuvenated his career in Colorado. I expect that we'll see a similar rejuvenation with Guzan. Because he is not as bad as "playing-for-crap-EPL-team"-Brad Guzan would indicate, just as Howard wasn't as bad as his final Everton days indicated.

neems, TOAzer and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #435 HomietheClown, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    I say this after every friendly but there are some good things I liked and bad things l disliked.
    Can't really over-analyze things either way- good or bad.
    It just makes me laugh when I read people say things like Dwyer's career is going to be ______."fill in the blank".
    The guy just scored his very first goal in his very first match. We should be happy for that and happy for him. Not try to be Madame Cleos and try to predict his future.

And that goes for most players on this team. Lets see how they progress and mature together in cohesion as the games go by. Not go with knee- jerk reactions.

Bajoro, Eighteen Alpha and TOAzer repped this.
  11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is BigSoccer. What you're requesting is impossible.

12. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore could.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and sitruc repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't you know where you are? It's BigSoccer; Jozy is the worst striker in the sport's history.

:rolleyes:

sitruc and Bajoro repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    McCarty was, like MB, too casual with the ball with very little help behind. I counted at least three hospital ball deliveries from McCarty to Acosta which would have been taken advantage of by a better team. I was not so impressed with him. If you are going to be sloppy then don't put the team at risk of an immediate counter. I need to see him operate under a heavy press from a high speed counter attacking team to get a better measure of how he will look in the midfield when the games matter because Ghana gave us more space than we will ever see at a world cup.