PBP: United States vs Argentina; 6/21; 9:00pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Semblance17, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisZ, TheLostUniversity and futbal4eva repped this.
  2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will lose.

eltapatio repped this.
  3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most important game ever since the last most important game ever.

I for one think 2002 vs Germany has the top spot for most important game ever until we can make a WC quarterfinal again.

But they are going to be up against it, its not a hopeless cause, but going to have to have some special performances out there, going to have to take our level up about 2 notches from the other games.

exref, LouisZ, GatorGangB and 4 others repped this.
  5. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2002 game vs Germany was one in which nobody thought we could win but we could have, and maybe even should have.

6. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    When a goal-bound shot is blocked by intentional handball, definitely we woulda coulda shoulda won.

7. vreleven

vreleven Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the big reasons why I just love this team (USA), is that they NEVER quit and they will leave it all
    on the field. I feel that as long as they have a pulse, they will give continue trying. Therefore, as much as I want them to win, IF they don't, I (we) will still be proud to wear the crest no matter the score.

Vamos USA

8. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, we had a Gibbs chance in Hell...

9. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, ya blind ......or yer french-kissed the Blarney Stone?...................:cautious: :sick: ;)

AutoPenalti repped this.
  11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be very busy tomorrow, from dawn till dusk, so will have to watch match from dvr, and so will be off these boards till late tomorrow. Hope those of you who watch it live get to see something extraordinary. So, Go USA.

Prediction. [ If Nagbe and Pulisic get major role] USA draws with Argentina 2-2. Then PK's get decided by the Gods......
    [If we start with Beckermann and Bradley as double D-Mids, and Nagbe and Pulisic are cheerleading from the bench] . USA loses 3-1.

12. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could and should have won that game ! Besides the Frings handball that should have been a red card and a penalty kick, we had numerous other chances that game and dominated for long stretches of play . Donovan has at least 2 or 3 beautiful chances to score . Kahn was a monster . We also had Sanneh's header at the very end . We were unlucky not to win that game . That team was very talented that we had ... Who takes that pk if it was given? Mathis was on the bench... Reyna or Mcbride maybe ? A 20 year old Donovan?

juveeer repped this.
  13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I ain't the mod in this forum homeskillet, but I'm sure those other fine gents will be able to figure out a solution.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, just to re-iterate, that would've drawn us level. Had Donovan been able to make something out of the 1v1s with Kahn, had Sanneh gotten that header on frame, yeah, we coulda woulda won. We were the better team on that day but it didn't work out, and the handball on the goal line that went unwhistled was just one of several moments that didn't work out for us; a particularly maddening one at that.

juveeer, Mr Martin, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe...

Semblance17 repped this.
  16. The X Factor

The X Factor Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    #16 The X Factor, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    I believe that...

We will lose an epic match... on penalties.

Unfortunately, Friedel will not be in the lineup.

That little bit more, after an epic draw, is uncharted waters for the USA as a footballing nation. I believe that they will be tactically ready for penalties, but the mental side of the moment can only be prepared for by having been in such situation.

And, the U.S. has never been there against this quality of opponent (14-time champion) in this quality of match. ...just another reason why we need to play this tournament every 4 years!

juveeer repped this.
  17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You're triggering me right now.

taylor and juveeer repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Posted by Sidspaceman in the Copa Forum:

745068770859745280 is not a valid tweet id

I like it :thumbsup:.

If that is the way we are going to lineup let's see if Pulisic can make a splash!

Suyuntuy repped this.
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What a glorious day in USSoccer. Win, lose, or draw and lose in penos, it appears JK has righted the ship. We need a good performance tonight, to keep the momentum going.

Lionel Messi meet Christian Pulisic.

I so hope the reports of Pulisic practicing with the team indicate he is going to start. I have followed this kid pretty close for the last year or so and whatever "it" is, he has "it" in spades. He is a piano player, in fact he may turn out to be a virtuoso, in a team that sorely lacks pianists.

I am going to be a nervous wreck waiting for the starting line-up. Jk has taught me to temper my expectations:cool:, but I do not want to see all three of Wondo, Becks, and Suzi. If Pulisic starts that will soften of seeing two of the other three. I would prefer we play 4-3-3 with a middle line of Fab Mb and San Zusi with Zusi taking the set pieces. Let CP CD and Gyasi lead the front.

Semblance17 and orcrist repped this.
  20. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    What is it about that game that everyone wants to rewrite history? As if every soccer match doesn't have moments of What If. As if you can't play the coulda shoulda woulda game for many soccer matches. Yes, we had some extended periods of controlling play. Yes, the Germans underestimated our ability to make it a match and overestimated their ability to close out the match. We punched above our weight in our best "fighting spirit" sort of way. That's why so many want to remember this match with red/white/blue eyes. The Germans weren't at their best but did enough to win.

21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between supporting USA and Argentina, I've really gotten to hate Germany. All of the losses that rack my brain are to them.

taylor repped this.
  22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    There's no dressing it up. it was a robbery. should have been a red and a pen and that's all there is to it. I still have nightmares from that one. I have no animosity toward the Germans for doing what they had to do but I will never trust match officials in big games.

juveeer repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, unfortunately Alejandro is not in a position to do anything about it tonight. The disbelief has been a big driver of this squad through this tourney run, you could see it in their responses afterward and impassioned play during, but arguably with nobody more than Alejandro.

I thought this statement was ironic though:

We’re listening to each other and we’re listening to you. Because for as much doubt as we’ve faced, our fans have faced it too. Americans don’t get soccer. They don’t understand the game.

Who shares this sentiment more than anybody?

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002