PBP: United States v Qatar; 7/29; 7:30pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jul 29, 2021.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Kudos to the entire team, playing with heart and skill, a nice combination that we don't typically get. Far exceeding my expectations and getting great look at some fringe players.

I'm ok with whatever result on Sunday, Mexico should win given their squad but I'm open to a nice suprise.

Nice work to the coach and the players in this tournament.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to 24/7 recess!

3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really happy with how Gregg likes to control possession with meaningless passes to cycle through patterns. Good teams don't give you the time to do it, but against minnows it will work. He was late making changes as usual but the right changes were made.

Zardes is not a starter, but he is a really good sub to chase a goal with 20 left. His first touch let's him down and his combining play keeps him from being more than that, but that's okay. Dike needs some rest and to get healthy, he isn't the same player. I'd start Hoppe up top against Mexico, he is not always effective but he is always trying something and we need that.

No real big takeaways from this game outside of Turner looking more settled. That's good to see.

Will have to attack with more pressure against Mexico, they should win based on paper but it doesn't always work that way. Just continue to get better.

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear 8lb. 6oz. newborn infant Jesus, don't even know a word yet, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors, please let Tata come back to Atlanta United.

Guinho repped this.
  5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Jesus was a grown man. You don’t always have to pray to the baby Jesus. It’s a bit offputting.

HomietheClown and SabreKhan repped this.
  6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I didn’t say we’d fire him. I just ordered a name when someone asked who we’d replace him with — a guy I think we could get who would be exceptional too. But yeah it’s not going to happen.

7. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is the favorite but some observations:

1. If we pull out a surprise win, it would be Dos A Zero in number of trophies this summer (and "youth tournaments" don't count if Mexico wins gold) lol

2. If we win, Tata could be sacked. Any replacement would be a more insular manager that would not be as relentless at recruiting dual nations. Tata respects MLS abd knows the potential of MLS academies in a unique way.

3. Chokeslam Rodriguez plays RB. Hoppe will start at LW and will be marked by him. Game is in Vegas. What are the odds on a double red card for those two?

8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think we will have to flop at least 50% as much as Mexico does in order to have a chance, given how CONCACAF referees work.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Or just do a better job with our shots on target.

Seems like against Qatar and Jamaica most of our good chances would go directly into the Keepers like a magnet to metal.

Now Talavera to me is not that good. Maybe we can beat him for a cheap goal here or there.

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this quote masks a larger point - without poaching US dual nationals, I'm not sure how much longer Mexico will continue to compete at the level they are competing. I'm just not that impressed with this team's talent right now. Tata's doing a good job getting the most out of the team, but even with Jiminez and Lozano this team is aging and lacks a lot of depth. A stronger US may force Mexico to resort to recruiting second-tier dual nationals or those players whose parents exert undue pressure on them to play for the "motherland".

If the US can continue to improve and not tick off dual nationals (where I think the current USMNT leadership is doing a good job), we may see a changing of the guard sooner rather than later.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the age-group teams to return, just as long as Kreis isn't in charge.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night I watched the Qatar match highlights and had a thought that doesn't really relate to the USMNT or Qatar per se.

Al-Haydos stutter-stepped before putting his attempted Panenka over the bar. Over my years of playing and watching soccer, I've seen a lot of penalty takers stutter-step to try and get the keeper to dive early. IT DOESN'T WORK. I think I've seen it contribute to a goal exactly once, and I've seen it mess up the shot a lot more often than that.

And yet players keep trying it, even seasoned pros. It's mind-boggling.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner knew that is what he does to the extent that he mimiced Al-Haydos’s run up in front of him before he took the PK.

14. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I’m going to watch this game, but I have a strong feeling it’s going to be a VERY painful watch…. When Paul “big” Areolas is your most visible name, you’re in some trouble.