PBP: United States v Qatar; 7/29; 7:30pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jul 29, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No
    The non PK call

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

boy, I remember getting up for those Japan matches 20 years ago, but now? Ooof, that's a big ask.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, this is what is what we mean when we use the term "bias."

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If this team beats Mexico in the final we're going to have a dilemma in our hands.

5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Agree to disagree.

Sands batted the cycle of game-losing mistakes: own goal that forced Turner into a save, awful giveaway that should have been converted into a goal, gave up a penalty.

I don’t know that he did anything well in the whole game. It was awful.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    How so? I don't follow at all.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I noted at halftime, none of Qatar's chances in the first half came from technical brilliance. They were all from good team play. Apart from Afif, none of their players have convinced me that they would be regular starters in MLS or an equivalent league, and it showed in the finishing.

But the thing is: a well-drilled team of competent lower-tier pros, with one or two standout players, can stay in the game against anyone, especially when they have much better team cohesion than any of their opponents. It worked for us in 1994, it's working for Qatar now.

bigredfutbol, LordofBrewtown and Marko72 repped this.
  8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I will confess I was a big Zardes fan when he first broke in, and for me he really seemed to fall off from that initial promise. More recently, i've just found myself eating my words after too many matches for me not to be convinced, especially when combined with "who are we going to have up front? Sargent? Pefok? Hoppe? Gioacchini? Dike?" It isn't like any of them have out performed Zardes convincingly. I'd say certainly we can't say THREE of them have, which is what it would take to keep him off the roster.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactamundo.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastern Standard Time for me . . . very doable.

Guinho repped this.
  11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but it isn't working for us now. We may have better players, but we also have Nosferatu/Voldemort/Berhalter as coach. Excellent but disorganized teams can get shellacked by teams like Qatar.

tomásbernal and Elninho repped this.
  12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, thanks y'all, that was actually fun.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Who makes the 23?

If we win this one, we'd have quite a lot of players in the list of candidates for the 23.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No one is going to have the cohesion equal to a de facto club team. I'm not a particular Berhalter fan, but if that's your standard, NO ONE is going to meet it. Certainly not with a B team full of assorted young guys being given their national team tryout.

And giving (most) of these young guys their national team tryout was our goal, after all. It's worked out well, if you ask me. Only Dike has really been a disappointment. Maybe Williamson, but I didn't have much expectations for Williamson.

15. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Well, I'm not looking at this tournament as anything except seeing who might make the bench for qualifying. Sure, it would be nice to win, but either way, I'll not be thinking about it five minutes after the final ends. Leaving aside Lleget, who I think has his role already, who else? Basically, I think Robinson has shown enough to add some cb depth. Moore, sure, if you need him for the bench. Acosta I don't mind off the bench for the qualifiers and maybe even a start with the schedule this year. Hoppe should be something eventually, but he has a ways to go, especially with the physical side of things. I don't see it with Dike. He is Zardes without the sprinting ability, so I have to give Zardes the edge at this point.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's not a particular dilemma at all. There are a few players at the margins that one could debate, but the heart of the first 23 is quite solid as long as they're healthy.

What we have in this group are a few 23 candidates and a few 24-30 man candidates.

17. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yuk yuk
    In all seriousness his very first international goal against the Netherlands was an even better one.

Bajoro and Guinho repped this.
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands made a few big mistakes but was good overall. Turner bailed him out on his mistakes. Sands kept his head even with those mistakes.

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no. I don't think any of these players except maybe Zardes and Hoppe and Turner should be in contention for the 23. Just because our C/D team can win in CONCACAF doesn't mean they're better than our As.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We're not talking about the "heart," the whole point of this tournament was finding the last 3 or 4 spots. If we win the whole thing, we're going to have a dozen candidates for those last 3-4 places.

bigredfutbol and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That wasn't a great look, and I've been wondering if Berhalter might be asked to watch the Final from the stands.

22. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It helps that he had arguably USA's most intelligent player and Irelands most dangerous striker to learn from.

Guinho, butters59, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath.

24. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Im not as antipathetic toward Berhalter as most here, but also wouldn't have a problem if he goes, but who do you replace him with?

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made mistakes but he gets back in position so quickly.

Marko72 repped this.
  26. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's already so no matter who wins the final. Do you pick Vines for the squad? I don't think so if everyone's healthy, he's a 24-30 guy for me. Do you pick Miles Robinson for the squad? I do. Do you pick James Sands for the squad? He's more of a 24-30 guy for me. Do you pick Hoppe for the squad? Probably, but it's debatable which guy he displaces. Do you pick Busio for the squad? For me, not yet. Do you pick Moore for the squad? Let's wait and see what he's like when he's fully fit. At the moment, he's behind Cannon for me, and it's arguable if I'd choose him or Yedlin as a backup. And, of course, Dest.

As for Turner, well, almost all of us had picked him for the 23 already, it's just a matter of the pecking order, and that depends for me on current form. Turner has current form. He's not great with the ball at his feet, so I'm reluctant to name him starter, but he's got the current form.