PBP: United States v Panama; 11/16; 2:45pm EST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He was on the field for what 18 minutes? He led the whole team in progressive dribbles according to Opta. He is coming off a major injury layoff.

Dizi, laxcoach and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I am not talking about this game, I am talking about him as a player.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with you except pretty much everybody has an agenda, including you, me and USSF. Clueless people with an agenda is why we get movies like dumb and dumber.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Well, when he gets back to full fitness and is playing whole games we will see where he is at. Writing off 19 year olds is as risky as hyping 19 year olds. Development is not linear and he had a catastrophic injury. It was good to see him in camp and contributing.

Lille is into him for $10+ million. They are going to be ultra careful with him to try and get their money's worth.

Dizi repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Oh man, he started two matches because other players were out with whatever panic problem the world is digesting. I promise you, no one is happier if Mckspud starts and thrives at Juve, but he lacks what Goretzka has - composure to make space and make attacking passes. If he can start thinking two passes ahead and maintain good positions, then the sky is the limit. I have not seen it.

He has played 1.5 good games for the US and if I'm honest out of 12 Schalke04 games I watched under Tedesco and Wagner he was playing at least 5 positions. If he ends up playing 'emergency' position, you know the dice has been rolled.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Remains to be seen. I'll keep an open mind because he can actually play soccer unlike most of our players. If we can create the false 8 for Mck we can create the false 9 for him. In my mind he can play the Firmino role (based on this youth play) but I think he's a solid finisher. Anyway, I like the Soto kid as well.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I watch all his games. I've seen it. He gets bullied by centerbacks on headers and with his back to goal.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which 20-year-old center forwards are physically dominant right now?

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not suggesting he needs to be physically dominant, but he should be holding his own.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haaland but that’s not really the point. Sarge is 20 going against grown men. He shouldn’t be expected to be physically dominant. He will get stronger. However, while he might not be pushing guys around I wouldn’t say that he’s being bullied either.

russ, ArsenalMetro and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is tho. He’s shown he can have a grown man on his back and hold up the ball then lay it off. What else do you want him to show physically?

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Did Ok today but should have finished one of the 3 chances. Has 1 maybe 2 more years to become ruthless in front of goal. If he cannot then he will be what you say. No argument.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  13. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Haaland?

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I remember the English commentators calling Jozy's Sunderland games and expressing surprise at how easily he fell down and got dominated when his physique suggested he should be a lot stronger. Eventually nobody bothered giving him the ball. Fast forward to his MLS career and you have guys like Long talking about how difficult Jozy is to defend because he is so strong. Comes Akinola and suddenly defenders are falling like bowling pins.

there's so much stuff that is said about players that is just accepted without question.

As far as Sarge goes, he got knocked down a lot when he first started because he'd stand around with his foot on the ball. Now he moves on the ball the way he has to in Bundesliga play and he is getting the calls he was looking for before.
    It's great for everybody that Bremen are working on Sarge's weaknesses instead of watching him score a bunch of goals against weak opposition then sending him to relegation fodder in England to fail before moving back to MLS.

b.t.w., that assist v. Bayern was exactly like the ball Sarge cut back to Weah v. Italy (Peru?) when Weah just skied the darn thing, silver platter 'n all.

Sam Hamwich and Patrick167 repped this.
  15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Watching sargent being used by US coaches was painful. Simultaneously the best hold up man, passer, creator and finisher...so he ended up doing what you just said, lining guys up to watch them miss chances he would have buried. Frustrating.