PBP: United States v Panama; 11/16; 2:45pm EST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 16, 2020.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still some hope for us oldies!

SteelyTom repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I must have missed the green players Panama threw together who play for Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, RB Leipzig, BvB, etc.

Android Cat and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    38 fouls and 6 yellows is ridiculous.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    He remembers Ledezma very well...

5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto the best finisher of our 9's by some distance. All he does is get in good positions and bury a good % of his chances.

Dizi, dams, SteelyTom and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    It is just my gut feeling. I take pride on assessing players very quickly. Based on my experience and Knowledge of the game, I can see when a players is special just by one or two touches of the ball. I might be wrong but I don't see anything special with Tim Weah. I think his biggest weaknees is his soccer IQ. I am sure he will get better but I do not see him becoming anything special.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That was about as solid of a performance as we can expect from such a young group that's only played together briefly.

By the way...............................for all the grief we've given Berhalter, he's given a ton of USYNT eligible players caps with the full national team since taking over. It's a big list.

Just over the last calendar year Dest, Robinson, Richards, Cannon, Adams, McKennie, Otasowie, Johnny, Musah, Reyna, Gioacchini, de la Fuente, Soto, Llanez, Weah, McKenzie, Vines, Araujo, Yueill, Aaronson, Servania, Pomykal, Pulisic, Sargent, Lewis, Ferreira

gogorath, dams and SteelyTom repped this.
  8. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Michael Essien comes to mind also.

9. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Based on the last two games and and couple of previous games. Maybe he is great on his league team but. as far as the USMNT, I'd take McKennie or Musah over Adams any day.

10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    To be fair, I'm a big fan of Sargent and think he'd be doing great if he wasn't drowning in the morass that is Werder Bremen, but it is what it is, Sargent looks more well rounded, but less instinctually lethal than he did with the U20's and U17's in 2017. I think he'll rediscover that form given time and a better club, but Soto's been Soto whenever his team has let him play on the field every single time I've watched, or read about it and that's not something that can be really quibbled with or debated. Got high teens in goals two years ago, starred at the U20 WC, Hannover punished him last year and he didnt play at all, now he's scoring again since he's been able to get out of there. Not sure if it will work against competent world class teams or even Concacaf minus Mexico, but it did as a youth player, and at this point what have we got to lose. Agree w/your comment as well. Nothing to argue w/what he does, thus far anyway, which is score, all the time, almost whenever he sets foot on the field, and when it comes to forwards, that's the key ingredient that keeps you on the field.

dams, SteelyTom, sXeWesley and 1 other person repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take that as well.

Bottom line is the kid is a bona fide superstar in the making. Wow.

DeCoverley repped this.
  12. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I agree, Sargent is a more well rounded player who can score and create in tight spaces. He is very good at holding the ball and has a very high IQ. I am sure it is just a matter of time before he becomes a very lethal and prolific striker.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm not about to say I'm some tape grinding genius or scout, I just think you're missing a lot in making snap judgements on a player who hasn't played a complete 90 minute game since the summer of 2019. There's lots of material you can watch from the U20 WC in '19 that shows what he's like when he's healthy and can go full 90, or how lethal he can be when he personally put Group Stage Winner Paraguay to the sword at the U17 World Cup 2 years earlier (wonder goal included) at the U17 WC. Plenty of nice material from his Celtic, PSG, and USMNT in 2018 material worth watching too. He's much much better than you think.

He's got his issues, primarily right now they are health, and his penchant for appearing or disappearing from matches at times (at least to me), but your issues aren't ones he has, in my opinion. It's more about consistency of influence, and staying healthy.

14. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That is the problem, the more I see him play, the more I am convinced that he is just another Zardes.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it time.

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree and I would say Sargent is the better overall player at the moment, but Soto may very well be what we need the most right now. I think Soto's game is also one that easily elevates with better players around him, he works very hard creating and occupying space, makes excellent runs and he puts every chance on frame. Whether he starts on not does not matter at all to me, I feel much more comfortable now knowing that he is at least solid depth.

SteelyTom and dams repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe he's one of those who needs to play with better players. I suspect Lletget is one of those, given his record with Gals v. his record with Nats.

18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better skills by far but the same lack of field presence IMO

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    based on these two games ... you don’t have to drop any of them. It’s the best three man midfield we have ever played, and they just met Musah last week. No one in the pool is an upgrade, unless we want to experiment with just two of them and Reyna as more of a true attacking mid in that Reus/Reyna Dortmund role instead of as a wing tucking in. Even Pulisic should stay as an ace wing wearing #10 the way those three looked.

nycfc919 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto is only 6 ft.

21. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the way this USMNT is looking 2022 is gonna be fun 2026 will be madness

bballshawn repped this.
  22. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D:D:D:D:D

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And? He looks tall, and he looks very different from Ledezma in terms of body type. May as well think that the bearded Rean looks like Miazga.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am so glad we have you to enlighten us.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just stating his stat and for not being that tall he beats bigger defenders.