PBP: United States @ England; 11/15; 3:00 ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Bit of a testimonial type game to be honest and out starting 11 reflected that with a lot of changes. Nice to see some of the youngsters like Sancho, Winks, Chilwell and Alexander-Arnold get a start and they played ok.

Future is clearly bright with so many young players starting to come through again and looking forward to getting Foden in the mix .

It felt like the game was being played at half pace in the 2nd half.

Good luck against Italy.

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Civil War reference, nice! :thumbsup:

3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Dan Flynn? or maybe Dan Flynn.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MLS?

Wood, McKennie, Pulisic, Brooks start for BL teams.
    Yedlin plays for Newcastle.
    Guzan played in EPL (Aston Villa starter).
    Miazga is on loan from Chelsea to Nantes in Ligue 1.

So, 7 of our 11 at a higher level.

Green plays in BL2
    Weah is with PSG II
    V/fana was with Mex League, now with MLS
    Trapp is in MLS - he used to captain our youth teams.

Suyuntuy and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh, I'm expecting another lopsided loss, so luck isn't gonna matter anyway.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have this feeling that international football is going to die in the next decade, or so. Maybe the US can be a leader in that regard.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to the MNT at least, it's already dead.

pirozhok repped this.
  8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agree with nearly all of it, but I think the biggest issue is getting our players to play as a national team. The players do fairly well at their club teams .

Excellency covered it already but we have players in top leagues. Your comment on struggling to get time on a English 2nd division is laughable at best and borderline arrogant.
    The rest of your post is fairly on point.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    He used less than full subs again I think (5)?

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Umpteenth game with wrong players wrong tactics yet again come out from half push player up and magical improvement

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Adams looked pretty good for whatever rubber leg bs the staff threw out

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Brooks had another nightmare

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The forward is changing his name to Bobby Wood-Offside

14. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Wood and Jozy are both labeled as lazy strikers (rightfully so).
    Bradley and whoever else we play at the 6 are gutless backpassers.
    We complain about the lack of depth at the left back position. If our starter there sucks, how can the backup and his backup be that much worse?
    Our reputation used to be that we had athletic, physical players that played with heart. Crappy soccer players, but they gave it their all and would f*ck you up in the process of trying to grind out a 1-1 tie or maybe get lucky and steal 3 points.
    Now we don't have the same type of athlete playing and we still suck at soccer. IF your touch is dog poop, at least get stuck-in and go down swinging.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe Klinsmann was correct playing with a lot of bodies at the back and waiting for the set piece. The coward lives to fight another day. I mean, when we try to play as an equal, we get smacked in the snout.

Maybe we should go for Berti Vogts to play the 8-1-1.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe in some regions but never in South Ameruca.
    Too much passion and emotional attachments to the Seleccions.

Burr repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Out defenders and Keepers are just plain crap.
    Defensive tactics may be our only hope.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  18. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #468 nick, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Seriously, 68,000 for a friendly with an England B team and a team that didn’t qualify for the last world cop s a problem.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean 68,000? It appeared and sounded closer to 6,800 than 68,000.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If I may clarify, it's the difference between tickets sold and pints sold.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #471 juvechelsea, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    dirty little secret, a lot of international friendlies are modestly attended abroad as well. kind of like you could go to an EPL stadium for a cup or UEFACL game y'all adore and it might also be part full. personal experience. they like league. they like finals. they like games that count where the A team plays.

also, Wembley has a 90k capacity, which means a 60k crowd leaves every third seat open. you can look at it like most American football stadia would be full to the brim, or you can pick on the empty seats.

i think if we pulled 68k for Mexico we'd be ecstatic. i think if we pulled 68k for England here it would be a miracle.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Wembley often has a poor atmosphere in England matches. Lots of casuals/families with kids who sit there quietly and not the best acoustics. The upper tiers the same side as the TV cameras are often not put on sale for smaller games.

To echo the above though, the attendances/ticket sales for England home matches are consistently very good by international football standards.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    In Houston, the east stands face right into the evening sun, worse, glittering off the downtown glass skyscrapers. Combination of sweltering and blinding. You learn to buy tickets on the shady side. However, a film crew puts the sun at their back and points towards the stands in the sunlight. So the far stand that gets shown is the emptier one. The bulk of the fans are sitting under the camera basically. Not that our attendance is very good, just that the camera can play tricks.

I don't doubt the friendly attendances are good relative to ours, but I also think there is some Eurosnob naivete -- from people who like the teams but never go to a game there -- about which games the fans favor. Short answer, not all. Long answer, league. My experience league was sold out or a hard ticket and cup and friendlies were the easier gets. I could watch Chelsea in Europe but not league much. The UEFACL snobs aren't noticing because they assume as the pinnacle it's well attended. But if you know your team is running out the B team against some Norwegian side to save the A team for the weekend against Arsenal, maybe not.

I mean, it's actually similar to MLS just on a grander scale/better attended. I've been to CCL where the actual fans numbered in the 100s and you could see the A team players circulating the stadium in the seats but officially since it was a STH game that had 10000+ because you burned an "extra" whether you wanted to or not.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Even dirtier little secret: friendlies are among the games most often "sold" by the match fixing sites. Not so much the score, but they sell the "events" like own-goals, red cards, etc.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For those of us who missed it due to work, what would you give the player ratings as?