PBP: United States @ El Salvador; 10/14; 10pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 14, 2022.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's an old-school defensive right back. He averages an assist every 2,200 minutes throughout his career, and he has exactly one since moving to Europe.

If we play with Robinson pushed super high on the left, I think that's what Berhalter wants from his opposite fullback. The issue is that Cannon isn't a great defender either. He just doesn't add anything on either side of the ball at the international level.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris won the Hermann Trophy in 2015 the year after he made his debut for the US.

The 2014 winner was German Leo Stolz who made 22 appearances for Red Bulls 2. Alex Bono was runner up.

Marko72 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Theory is at least Scally is an excellent defender, even if he isn't that much of a Wingback either.

Bajoro repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref was awful. Bad both ways. Weah kicked a guy in the face (no yellow). Missed PK. Arriola's red. I think Wes threw the corner flag on a guy who was down, no sanction. All kinds of rough play let go.

jnielsen, NietzscheIsDead and Bajoro repped this.
  5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked too slow when he played.

6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find amusing about calling up Morris while he was still an NCAA player, was how it highlighted the ridiculous rules NCAA has that border on the bizarre. The restricted hours on training, the fact that he couldn't eat with the rest of the team.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Fair enough - Wales surely is happier they didn't get Spain and Germany, although if they had, their group would be at the top in average. ;)

8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wish these Concacaf refs would start with the yellows and reds early... maybe take control of these matches. I think they do a great disservice to the game by being lenient.

TimB4Last, bigredfutbol and Beerking repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He mainly plays wingback. 16 of his 23 appearances for BMG last season. His goal and 2 assists came on the right.

10. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? does he wear winged shoes there but cement shoes here?
    How can he play wingback with no speed?

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have been nominally been lined up on the right, but the goal he scored was when he stripped the ball while way out on the left wing and then drove in alone on goal from the left side of the field and scored.

Ray Shoesmith, Bajoro and Paul Berry repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    CCV didn't look good at first but I'll give more weight to the second half when he solidified considerably. You're right that Wright wasn't great, and wasn't great all camp. Neither was Tillman. Neither was (really frustratingly for me) Scally, who is going to get another chance and might make it as the last FB option since there aren't any good backup options on the left. Cannon is most likely to make this club as an emergency fullback that can be used as an RCB in a 3-back line if we use that as a tactical wrinkle.

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Musah didn’t finish his chances, but its clear that he was an athlete who was unparalleled out there. The word “dynamic” doesn’t do him justice.

In this type of game, the skill goes out the window unless you’re a great athlete too. Musah’ s quality was clear. Wes was the only other guy out there on his level.

Scally would have been good for this game…big, physical, punishing. Cannon was a bit too spindly. Morris was also good for the same reasons Musah and McKennie were good.

jnielsen and Bajoro repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Try explaining to anyone world round how our college sport system works and they will look at you in astonishment.
    Scholarships for sport for education? Billion dollar TV contracts? Etc, etc etc….
    We just grew up with it so we accept it, but it is pretty absurd.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You sound like a BS poster. Morris was known high quality even by the few Euroscouts who payed attention to college then. Can you name the dozen or so inane reaches he made? Pretty easy.

16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Damn, I thought he was better before going to Potugal. Thought that league would improve aspects of his game but I don’t know.

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Best part of a match like that? Watching the same exact responses from the same people in the same way for over 30 plus years. Amusing.
    BTW Mexico were awesome last night and Canada better the night before!
    LOL stuff as usual here.

Guinho and Paul Berry repped this.
  18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don’t blame FIFA. The Nation’s League is a CONCACAF monstrosity

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the confederation leagues part of a FIFA mandate though?

20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    It’s important to note that a lot of people view the injuries to Morris and JAB before the last two windows as instrumental in our failure to qualify. The problem is that 5 different wing forwards, minimum, have passed him since 2017. Shoulde we take 6? Not in my view, it’s a huge bummer he missed ‘18 and got hurt in ‘21 before he could make his case. Too late now which is why the goal concerns me, nice in the moment, but a potential catalyst for a bad choice.

21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Definitely easier groups, see Mexico’s draw but it was definitely friendlier than it could have been. Kind of feels like ‘94 or ‘98.

dark knight repped this.
  22. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    make of this what you will given the weirdness of FIFA rankings, but I just can't agree that the US is in an "easy" group. Maybe it's not really the hardest group but there's other Pot 2 teams that have it easier.

upload_2022-6-15_10-1-40.png

23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, nl is fifas way of getting "their" slice of the friendly money pie. the only notable aspect of concacaf is it ties us to matches against grenada that could otherwise portugal or sweden.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it couldn't because they're in UEFA nations league.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if there werent a concacaf nl there wouldnt be a uefa nl either.