PBP: United States @ Costa Rica; 10:00pm ET; Matchday thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 5, 2013.

1. jc09

jc09 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    South Bay, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND...like you said, no governing body will enact any sort of punishment or even admonishment on the player which leaves it up to our players to enact what level of revenge we see fit. This could easily spiral out of control, which would definitely be to the detriment of the game.
    Or we could just let it go and prove ourselves to be a doormat in any away CONCACAF qualifying match going forward.

2. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I completely agree -- I'm just saying I *can* understand why he made the call. It was a poor snap judgement on his part, but until we take responsibility for these type of things out of their hands -- it will continue to happen. We ask referees to make snap judgements about all sorts of things (especially offside), and he made one here. Unfortunate for sure.

This one is on FIFA though -- at some point they will have to take a stand against this kind of thing -- but getting enough votes to change something takes something extremely large happening in a very large game in a knockout round of the WC. (and even then most of the time nothing will happen)

The last WC refereeing was so bad they could have at least tried to make some headway into some rule changes ... . -- If I remember correctly the last WC saw:

- the England/Germany Lampard non-goal which resulted in us now having goal line technology
    - the Suarez deliberate goal-saving handball (possible penalty goal discussion that never occurred)
    - at least one offside goal (two if I remember correctly) that were allowed in the Mexico/Argentina game
    - USA v Slovenia the ghost foul on Edu

Either way, I have a soft spot for referees, cause they have to watch 22 players with 3 people. They are constantly harassed and get no love. The matches they officiate have stakes so high entire countries want to destroy you if get a call wrong. The 4th official is really useless right now -- give the man a video replay system to make him useful.

3. ktabz

ktabz Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    studs up, yanks, next time campbell comes to town.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need. Karma will come back and get him. Always does.

Berks repped this.
  5. jc09

jc09 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    South Bay, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, referees have it tough. And FIFA does them no justice by not allowing for any sort of review of these snap judgements. The cameras can keep an eye on more players and cut out this kind of crap. Even asking the refs to be more vigilant about diving is asking a lot. The camera, along with strict punishments after the fact, can lessen this burden and allow them to focus on the play of the game rather than trying to babysit the gamesmanship.
    Using post game replay to clean up some of this crap in no way undermines the efforts of the refs on the field. Leave their calls alone but extraneous, non football action should be better controlled by the football powers that be.

Kot Matroskin, danielh and kokoplus10 repped this.
  6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of hope they do have to amputate.

Alexisonfire, Berks, luftmensch and 2 others repped this.
  7. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Doesn't mean that a studs up challenge can't be part of that karmic justice...

Actually, I would never condone violence against another player. But this one comes awfully close...

Berks repped this.
  8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks and luftmensch repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes in the form of a studs up tackle....

Edit: beaten to the punch....

10. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why a player would do something like that in that particular situation. It's 3-1, you're not involved in play in any way. There's no way you're going to draw a red card for that. I can see the time wasting ploy, but why all the posing and pretending like you're so mad at Besler? That's just an attempt to draw the yellow for no reason at all. That's just being an asshole.

Berks repped this.
  11. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... 5:36

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any Costa Rican fan complains any more I think I'll break the decibel level with my yelling. Our "No Fair Play" was an act of God. Theirs was plain old cheating.

No Fair Play my ass.

I hope Jermaine mows him down the next time we play against one another.

What a jerk.

Zero sympathy.

We'll all remember this the next time we play.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause he's a douche?

Has anyone checked his bank account lately? [half serious]

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Player, and side official should both see hefty fines or some type of disaplinay action from that. What a joke and what a jerk!

Alexisonfire repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad US Soccer released this as part of the footage by the way. On purpose for sure. And good on them.

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well I don't think you are right on this because if he had not called the foul and it turned out that Besler deliberately stomped his foot with malice and intent or say punched him in the mouth or bit him or spit on him they can review that and suspend him after the fact. There is precedent for it so no need to give a card for a foul you could not possibly have seen. Since there was no foul any foot stepping on that might have happened was certainly unintentional and minimal if there even was contact with Beslers heel to pussy boys toe.

Ghosting repped this.
  17. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    What this boils down to is that neither the ref nor the linesman saw the play (they couldn't have, or they wouldn't have awarded the yellow) and yet they awarded the yellow anyway. What kind of reffing is this???

Berks repped this.
  18. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1843 dban, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    CONCACAF reffing. I'm embarrassed to be a soccer fan sometimes.

There is diving to try to get a PK which is cheating but happens in other sports as well, hockey, basketball.

Then there is play acting to try to get someone carded or ejected which is shameful and only happens in soccer. Disgusting.

Berks and georg repped this.
  19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stomped on his foot? Really? Really? Stomped on his foot? **** Cambell! total cheap ass play, dude should have to wear this play around his neck to the end of his career. And let's hope that career ends at some dump of a stadium like Saprissa. Fair play my ass *** you Costa Rica fans!

Etienne_72772 repped this.
  20. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you must not watch enough nba

21. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying people don't flop, but what happened to Besler in Costa Rica simply does not happen in other American sports. They'll at least take a look at the monitors during the game, as well as adjust any punishments after the game if need be. If either measure was in place, Besler would be in the lineup against Mexico.

luftmensch repped this.
  22. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its hard to call foul when your own players do it too. i hope i never see monitors in a football game.

23. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd settle for having his suspension overturned.

24. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    touche. But I can't remember a time when CONCACAF had issued any discipline after a game. EPL maybe one out of ten times, but never CONCACAF.

25. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see where I mentioned basketball for diving? That is the NBA.

NBA/NFL/MLB players do not play act a fake injury to get someone ejected from a game.

I challenge you to name one single case.