United sign keeper Ben Foster from Stoke

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jul 15, 2005.

1. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fella needs to get it together. If VDS isnt fit after the break, I'd use Koozy.

2. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    VDS is starting today for the reserves against Everton. coupled with the international break we should have him available for Bolton, CSKA and liverpoo.

3. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    foster is lacking in brains, which is a form of talent. anyone can jump, goalkeeprs need poise, timing and game reading ability, none of which foster has displayed in his almost 5 years since signing for united

4. Insane111

Insane111 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Must say, it's the first time I've seen his technical abilities so heavily and entirely criticised. Whilst Sir Alex hasn't always hit gold with keepers, it would be bizarre for him to have stuck by Foster for those 5 years, bigging him up no end, if he had indeed shown no evidence of those supposedly crucial elements of a goalkeeper. And you'd think that the goalkeeping coaches might have noticed as well.

The only problem with Foster at the moment is he's believing all these people that are calling him the worst goalkeeper ever.

5. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    fergie, in over 30 years of coaching, has had just 3 goalkeepers play well under him. leighton, schmikes and vds, and a whole litanny of failures numbering into the dozens.sometimes he chooses shit keepers, other times he jsut gets that at entirely the wrong time of their career. he has terrible taste when it comes to his goalkeepers.

but, as he was planning im sure, we have vds still, we had a good opportunity to bring on a posible succesor, it was a gamble, and it didnt pay off. it hasnt cost us anything at all in the silverware stakes, and i hope we do it again next season, but this time with better results. vds isnt slowing down, he should be at the club another 2 or 3 seasons as either first choice or backup, so we have ample opportunity to track down and bed in a top quality replacement

6. Insane111

Insane111 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I didn't say Fergie never makes mistakes with them, quite the opposite. I said it would be bizarre if he and the coaches had watched Foster for those 5 years and never realised that he lacks these qualities you mention. It's one thing buying a keeper, then realising you've made a mistake and moving on, as he has with every other crock. It's another to be oblivious to such a glaring flaw for 5 solid years.

Also something of an understatement to say that Schmeichel and Van Der Sar have "played well".