United needs a big rally, but there are precedents (Haydon, W. Times, 11/8)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Wow! An article ostensibly about DC United that's not at all about DC United. The quote below - that's really about all it offers in terms of news. The rest is just fluff.
    Evidently it's Marco's last stand ... :rolleyes:

2. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Haven't read the article yet, but Hudson is probably wickedly accurate. He mirrors Earnie's views on Marco for instance. Earnie said if Marco gets time on the ball because we're actually controlling the ball instead of blindly pushing forward only to lose the ball too brutally often, then we have a chance.

I happen to agree. If Marco (or really Eanie or Q2 in the centraL role) gets a decent look at the ball fairly regularly, then United has a good shot at winning the game. If not, then see you all next year.

3. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    District of Calamity
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, we're *#*#*#*#ed beyond being *#*#*#*#ed.

:rolleyes:

:mad:

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And yet, like a car accident, I can't look away.

I'll watch this game because it will be entertaining either way. We're either going to see our team rise to the occasion or the future MLS champs show us how good they are. And for that, I'll be camped in front of my TV relishing every moment.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Okay. I'm trying really hard to imagine Marco "getting time on the ball". But all that comes up is Marsch and Armas controlling the center of midfield. Marco then retreats to right in front of our defenders....

Maybe if we thought of Marco as some sort of non-defensive sweeper instead of an a-mid...a sweeper without defensive responsibilities, then we could better understand that Hudson is putting out a 532 instead of a 442 or if we though he was adding an extra midfielder it would really become a 442. At any rate with Marco on the field we have no a-mid, just various players occasionally running through the area that an a-mid might play- if we had one.

Or maybe Hudson should adjust the lineup and have Marco and Nellie change places. My guess is that nellie would at least play in an advanced position. Marco, meanwhile can play next to Petke. We'll just tell Petke and the other defenders that they're really in a three man backline:

---------------Warren
    -Namoff--Petke--Etcheverry---Prideaux
    ------------Kovalenko
    Stewart-----------------Convey
    -------------Nelsen
    ----Martins--------Cerritos.

Yeah, I'm being flip here, but look at that lineup. I'd say that we'd dtand more of a chance in scoring than otherwise.

Right jason, a Car accident all the way.

6. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    RAY MUST GO

Fantasy: "If we take too long getting the ball to Marco, everything will collapse in the midfield."

Reality: "Marco takes too long on the ball, and everything has collapsed in the midfield for most of the season."

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think if we're counting on Marco to be the savior versus the Fire that its a recipe for disaster.

Ever since MLS Cup 98, Chris Armas has had Marco's number. He wears Marco in his jock and just shuts him down.

It's why we lost in Pasadena, it's a big reason the team did nothing Saturday and it will be a big reason the Fire will likely win tomorrow.

Right now, Armas is better at what he does than Marco is at what he does (or, did to be more accurate).

I'm sure Ray knows this. But, I can't help but think Ray is going to sink with Marco so that in the postseason meetings he can go to Payne and say "you signed him and wanted me to play him. I did and he didn't come through so give me more autonomy over player moves."

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is how it's going to play out. Hudson puts Marco in...we get creamed.

Ray will then say he had chance after chance to prove he still has what it takes and look at what happened.

Marco's gone.

There's obviously more to it than that, but I essentially think that's how it will play out.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Bingo.....

No comment from here on in.. :p

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    At which point Payne should reply "Move your sorry ass back to Miami."

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Considering that Hudson did this last year publicly relying and sinking on the "ring bearers" and that Hudson would rely on this again this year...no shame. Someone's gotta take a stand in this dysfunctional organization.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think Marco ever lived in Miami.
    How could he move his sorry ass back there?

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    But Ray did, and thus the reply by Payne.

Back on topic: Keep hope alive.

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um.. I'm pretty sure Knave was kidding.

Hope. Right. I had that once. I dare not have it again.

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    With him, I never really can tell.

But I suppose he is always kidding about Marco!

I hope someday you'll dare again!

16. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Ray must really hate Marco to be that sadistic.

17. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    :D

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Jose. Bob died last July.

19. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    i hope ray is not being sadistic but if he is he can go back where he come from! anyway etch will probably leave so only the team would be harmed.

lets go united vamos united screw wynalda screw the fire and screw anyone who stands in our way

20. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you've gotta be kidding....

I know how speculation runs rampant here, folks, but this time I'm doing my best imitation of the voice of reason.

You can't seriously consider Ray sabotaging our first run in the playoffs in 4 years for getting rid of Marco and receiving autonomy. If that's true, then he's gotta be one cynical SOB to bemoan the team's effort at home BECAUSE IT SORELY DISAPPOINTED THE FANS!!!!

Supporter brain trusts would be just a tad ticked off I'm guessing to hear their year's worth of support amounted to an in-fight over what to do about Marco, who by the way outweighs every player on our team in terms of "being owed something" from said team.

I may date myself here with this closing comment, but
    'Nuff said.

21. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16689-2003Nov8.html

Not one to say force hope on anyone, Goff has us presumably in 4-4-2. so....