United Knights moving?

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by MUhooligan10, Jul 5, 2010.

1. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In fairness, 9K per game at Community America ballpark is about 90% capacity.....

and 2K at soccer park is around 33% capacity.

KC has got their fanbase together, and growing. We could do well to follow their example at this point.

2. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90% full is 9,000. Their previous attendance averages were 10,000 and higher.

Yet they still don't fill a smaller space.

So, what exactly you're basing this "growing fanbase" on is beyond me since simple math proves otherwise. If by following their example means the yearly attendance drops and we start playing on a baseball field, I'm good.

All that said, this entire thread concerns certain particular subjects and--in a shocker!--this child gets on here again to offer ZERO that adds to the communication going on with actual fans. Just the usual snide comments and whiny bullshit in lieu of figuring out a resolution.

3. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    kansas city can f*ck off to kansas or change their name, as far as I'm concerned. what a horrid sports town that is---nfl, nfl, nfl is all they know. 2,000 for one AC game is not horrid given the lack of marketing. the fact that we've sold out a couple times shows that we have a dedicated fan base, although that should be an issue, given this:

St. Louis MSA: 2,879,92
    Kansas City MSA: 2,067,585

and for comparison:
    Portland MSA: 2,241,84
    San Jose MSA: 1,839,700

***MSA means metropolitan statistical area. All numbers from US census bureau estimates of 2009.

In any case, we can clearly see that the major market for soccer in Missouri is in St. Louis, not only due to population, but also due to us having more of a soccer culture (certainly one of the reasons Portland got the nod, and I'm including relative affluence as a part of culture; soccer is unfortunately a middle/upper-middle class game most places).

The only reason KC even has a team is Lamar Hunt. One of the main reasons I think St. Louis didn't get a team when the league formed was the fact that we had no outdoor stadium.

Let me end this rant by saying that I have many close friends from Kansas City and I'm happy that the Wizards are providing a foundation for soccer in western Missouri (and hopefully an academy...?). All that said, I cannot STAND those smug f*ckin KC fans. They have been horrible every single time I have met them, and seem to attempt to show their complete lack of knowledge about anything as quickly as possible.

--------------end part I-----------------

1.I'm honestly not sure what to make of UK's proposed move...I like having them around, they're loud, and they're friendly. But hey, supporters at both ends doesn't hurt, either. That being said, if they move, we really need to PICK IT UP, both in terms of volume and creativity. Hell, just start chanting something that comes to mind, no one will make fun of you. Can't think of something? Just start singing a popular song that is easy to sing and that everybody knows (think Beatles, folk songs, St. Louis related songs, etc.)
    -------a.taking turns with megaphone...good idea?
    b.suggestions re: songs
    i.FOLK: You Are My Sunshine, Big Rock Candy Mountain, Boots of Spanish Leather, This Land is Your Land (also modify to this team is your team???), We Shall Overcome (when we are down), We Shall Not Be Moved,
    ii. Popular: shit, just pick some rock ballad.
    iii. St. Louis: Meet Me In St. Louis?

2. Where is our small but significant Hispanic population?
    3. Any thoughts on my proposal for limiting smoke to very back row or very end of sec. 20 (if they condone it?)
    4. Let's all start bringing paper masks if smoke continues.
    5. Maybe start a sec. 20 tailgate?
    6. Kickabouts at half time would be a lot of fun.
    7. Why don't we have a sponsor at all? You'd think that SOME local business would be willing to put some money down, if only for the goodwill. Schnucks, Schlafly, Charter, somebody...
    8. What a random assortment of questions and comments.

4. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The company I work for looked into it, and it was just way too expensive for us. Now, we're small potatoes compared to, say, Charter, and we're not even headquartered in St. Louis. (After recent events, we won't have a presence in St. Louis at all. :( :( :( )

But like Filho and Ralston, I think the shirt sponsorship price was a case of aiming too high. Even if you could afford it, I'm frankly not sure the results would be worth the expense.

5. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

Fair enough, I guess---even teams from smaller cities have sponsors. Maybe they should have just given the shirt space to a charity.

Not that I'm complaining---the green jersey looks really nice without one. Too bad it's 60 bucks.

6. LaMacchia+10

LaMacchia+10 New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Illinois
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Sorry to bring bad rep to eads lol i should have just let that dude slap me.

7. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it was bad rep. And that situation definitely wasn't your fault. It was just the only incident we've had.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Jason, I hope you were not left out in the cold on that move. I really do hope all is well for you.

9. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
  10. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you can drink beforehand or drink overpriced beer that supports the team. Either way, it ain't the end of the world.

11. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

as I posted on the Chickenhead page, its not so much the policy- that's fine and not unreasonable. BUT, the fact that the club chose to reemphasize the policy now is more the issue. It definitely signals the club's new harder line stance. After the way their attitude has changed over the last couple weeks, I fear the worst. Granted, some of this was brought on by our actions at the Whitecaps game.

I believe that game was just the excuse that some in the front office were looking for. The supporters groups are not appreciated by everyone. Those individuals want a more sterile environment that just hands them money and doesn't complain about the quality of the play or the mistakes made in managing the team. They had it easy with Athletica fans who tended to be families and kids under 16. Now they don't know how to deal with fanatic fans or a drinking crowd. And seriously, as drunk as we were its nothing compared to some NFL, MLB, or NHL crowds.

I've paid for my season tickets and I'll be at every game. I know others who are protesting the crackdowns by not attending the game. Personally I've decided not to buy any beer this weekend (just my thing, not advocating any big boycott). But the Supporter's Groups buy tons of concessions and merchandise, we organize and the players love us, and we do our best to spread the word and bring new people to the games. Those efforts appear not to be appreciated by the club. After everything the club has gone through this season, its time to be kissing the fans' collective asses.

just my thoughts.

12. ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say this as someone who does not know the ins and outs of your situation, but may be able to offer a bit of insight. We just finished a similar problem here in Tampa with Ralph's Mob. At our game against Puerto Rico, security threatened to throw out our entire section en masse because they didn't like our swearing. It even boiled over into a fan confronting us, and a security guard climbing into our section to put his finger in individuals' faces. After that game, there was talk of a boycott of a game, concessions, parking, etc. We were able to solve it peacefully and we've reached an agreement with our club and détente with security.

What we did was had a group meeting (which I know is astronomically difficult given your different factions) to determine the largest worries to be dealt with. One person met with a member of the front office one-on-one to determine the club's major concerns as well. Subsequently, a small group (I believe we had seven) met with a few members of our front office (three). After a two hour meeting, we were able to come to an agreement on what would and would not be allowed in the supporters' section. In our case, we ended up eliminating swearing from our organized chants (which offended the soccer moms and such), but were allowed to keep the majority of our atmosphere.

The major issues I've seen mentioned here are outside drinks not being allowed in (which a proper tailgate should negate, to any level headed person), and the smoke bombs/fireworks being escalated to the point of distraction. We're not allowed any of the sort, but if we were, I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask that they be kept out of the run of play. I've seen games in your park that end up with a cloud of fog hovering over your own GK for fifteen minutes at a time. That has to be a bit of a hazard.

Like I said, I've never been to your park, and I've never met a one of you. But I was intimately involved in our problems here in Tampa, so I am all too well aware of the frustration you guys are going through. I enjoy what you guys do, and I hope ACSL survives, as quite frankly, I don't want Tampa to be the only team with a supporters' section after next year. But the bottom line becomes, I'm sure your club doesn't want to alienate its most ardent supporters for the sake of pleasing a few. If you get a small group to talk to them professionally, I'm sure compromises can be made. A supporters group should not have to resent the front office of the team they're supporting.

I wish you folks luck.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto what Reasonable said and I'd just add that, as I've said multiple times here before, I really hope you can still find a way to operate as one large group rather than so many disparate supporter clubs. This will not only create a much more intimidating home atmosphere for your team, it will also allow you more weight and pull in the types of situations you currently find yourselves.

Get the heads of each of your current supporter groups together, bang out a common goal, and get on with it. We ********ing do not want to see what you have begun in St. Louis die out, just too much potential.

14. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the issue is, having a team next is IS a HUGE doubt. I mean to the point where it's almost a for sure thing.

Meetings with staff? I promise you, people have tried, and it's fallen on deaf ears. Calls aren't returned and e-mails go unanswered.

The staff used to be so prominent. You could communicate fairly easy with them. Now? Nothing. Our section goes completely unsupervised and dumbasses get out of control.

Now that things hit a peak at the Carolina match and one staffer had the task of trying to corral everyone, the shit has hit the fan.

So, it's not for the sake of trying, I assure you.

Shit is so bad up here now that the pre-match drinking and get togethers just feel like work anymore. The mood is terrible, crowds are down and the club has probably screwed up so much that people won't be coming back.

It's a real shame, and I hope I'm proven wrong later tonight, but that's where I personally see things at the moment.

15. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah I used to be so excited a couple days ahead of the game. now its starting to feel like a chore. hopefully the atmosphere will be improved tonight.

16. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats cause I haven't been able to tailgate the last few games. Now that I'm back it will be better! Growlers here I come.

Also, does anyone have any of those buy one get one free tickets. Im bringing some newbies to the game tonight?

17. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some. I'll be at Growlers.