United all-time OT record - Warning, it ain't pretty..

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I was just curious to how United has fared all-time since OT was included during the 2000 season..

Take the children out of the room...

For those of you with weak constitutions, please skip to the next thread..

4 wins

10 losses

21 draws

Ouch... I doubt any team in MLS is even close to that record of futility.. For some reason we simply can't get it done in OT..

2000 - 2-3-6

2001 - 0-1-2

2002 - 2-2-5 (not too bad actually)

2003 - 0-4-8 (simply atrocious)

Blech...........

2. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Analysis forthcoming.

But after a cursory glance, I don't think it's pretty for ANYBODY.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I believe we sucked at the Shootout as well.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which is why I don't like OT. There's no guaranteed winner, it punishes players who played hard in regulation time, and most of the time is simply 10 extra minutes of soccer with no goal(s). The League has tried to follow the AMerican mentality that "there must be a winner", yet this season OT has provided us fans with only 10 wins and 38 ties. The sooner the League decides to follow the rest of the world, the better. A tie needs to be a tie, not a marathon.

5. Daniel le Rouge

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Here it is:

Overall.....W..D...L.....Pts Diff
    Chicago....4..23..4.....4
    Colorado...5..23..3.....7
    Columbus..3..24..6.....0
    Dallas.......5..21..2.....8
    DC...........4..21..10....-2
    Fusion......1..10..1.....1
    KC...........2..29..4.....0
    LA...........9..24..6....12
    Revs........4..23..3.....5
    Mutts......7..17..4.....10
    SJ...........1..25..1.....1
    Tampa.....1..6...2......0

Points differential indicates the change in the standings accomplished by the extra ten minutes--plus two points for a win, minus one point for a loss. So the results are slightly skewed by the fact that a team that wins as many as it loses in OT actually BENEFITS. Take LA a couple of years ago--their 3-3-3 OT record meant they picked up three points in the standings.

Basically, the bottom line is that while yes, we are the worst overtime team, most of that is due to the effect of this year--which is far and away the worst overtime performance in history. Four losses against no wins is pretty bad. Without this season, we're bad, but not outrageously so.

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's my number one gripe with OT: it only rewards the team that plays better in OT, not in regulation. If two teams play evenly (or unevenly, it doesn't matter) and play to a tie, then let it be a tie. Neither team is punished, both walk away with a point. The only time OT should ever be used is in tournament play. I have no problem with any of the playoff games going to OT. Those are games that need a winner. Regular season games don't warrant that same priority.

7. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    I have never been a big fan of OT. Maybe because we definitely suck in OT. Bright posted an interesting thread in MLS News and Analysis that showed DCU in second place without OT this year. Just for grins, with all this talk of whether Hudson has done a good job or not, can somebody put up the record and points we would have had last year without OT? Here is where we would have been this year without OT:

D.C. United 10-6-12 42 Pts.

8. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, but at least we got to boo the staff wheeling out the shootout clock....

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching an OLD game on tape the other day and saw the shootout clock in the background. I was harping back to the fond memeories of the DCU guys ducking behind the clock to stop from getting hit by the balled up paper beer cups and such we'd throw at the clock as it was wheeled past The Barra and The Nest ..... I wonder what they ever did with those, I still think I'd pay $20 to take a crack at it with a sledgehammer to raise money for the league.

10. Daniel le Rouge

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    We were 9-14-5 for 32 points last year. Our OT record was 2-2-5. Without OT, we would have finished 7-12-9 for 30 pts.

That's the basic issue here--everytime you WIN in OT, you pick up two points. Every time you lose, you only lose one point. So OT only punishes you if you fail to win--something we do with regularity this year.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the shootout was good for at least one thing;

Tony Sanneh playing for the Nats against Germany, coming in at the keeper in a 1 v. 1 and me thinking, "now this looks familiar."

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of OT - for various reasons. What I hate is the pointless (in our case, often literally) way that MLS does it. 5 minute OT periods are useless in most cases ... it is done to minimize extra time for television, and to give both teams equal chance to go at each goal, two things that should be ignored. There is just no time to get a real attack going in 5 minutes, so you get a lucky break, or a boring OT.
    I would go for one 15-minute OT period, how you choose which team goes which way does not not matter to me; home team, visiting team, coin flip, color of jersey, who cares. That gives a team time to string things together, 5 minutes is just an amount of time that teams can try to waste. And I bet it would take the same amount of time as the 2 5-minute pds and the time between them where the goalies get exercise walking to the other goal.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Can't be done without upsetting FIFA. You've gotta have two equal periods of overtime and switch sides between periods.

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think I saw some on ebay a year or two ago. Expensive though.

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    So...you are saying that you have a couple of those clocks and we are free to come to your house, sledgehammers in hand?

That's nice.

:)

16. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    What is the incidence of injury in OT? Heard a football commentator moaning about OT in the NFL Regular Season, and that injuries were far more likely in extra time when players are tired. Is this the case in MLS' OT experience?

BTW, I hate OT and am looking for reasons to hate it even more. Please help me in my quest.

17. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Thanks Daniel. With OT we are a slightly better team than last year. 32 pts vs. 38 Without OT we are much better. 30 pts. vs. 42. And we still have games to go. This is another reason why I have enjoyed this season more than last.

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    The shootout was fun. The players didn't like it, but so what this isn't about what the players want. It's about what the fans want-as for me, it was nice knowing someone would come out w/a win. Teams would play harder just not to go to a shootout.

Or would you prefer 100+extra time minutes of a 0-0 game?? The hell w/that!!

19. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    I assume that tongue was firmly in cheek when you wrote this, Bud, 'cause man, that's some crazy *#*#*#*#.

I think that many of us are fine with a draw. I don't need a winner everytime I go to the stadium or flip on a game. At the end of the season, that's another story altogether, but for regular season matches, it's just not necessary IMO.

Oh, and the Shootout was not fun.

20. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda's career was shortened by an injury he suffered in a shootout. The fans lost the opportunty to see him play for the remainder of that season because of a stupid shootout spectacle. Waldo had maybe one chance in five of affecting the game during the shootout. During regulation his chances of affecting a game were much more significant.

Memo to OT/Shootout lovers: If there were no friggin overtime gimmicks (during the reg season) the last several minutes of regulation would see more frenetic action to even the score and/or get ahead. Instead, the players are subjected to more risk from injury, blah, blah, blah.

Can you name one or more fans that come to MLS games because of overtime or from the hated shootout?

GM

21. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Well FIFA has a problem with the 4th Sub rule too, but that doesn't stop MLS! :rolleyes:

As for OT, the biggest take away for me is as GM has consistently said - it just doesn't matter that much.

Out of 169 OT games - 46 had winners. That means only 27% of games actually changed as a result of OT, which is not a lot. And I would bet that for most fans they experience more negative emotions (anxiety, fear, disgust) regarding OT than they do positive emotions (relief, joy, excitement). This is the reason why I believe that most fans really dislike OT and it does not actually attract anyone to the sport.

So, I guess if MLS wants to continue increasing the stress level and anxiety levels of their fans then they should persist in their promotion of OT.

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    To the shootout haters, 2 questions.

What brings fans to the game?
    A. Exciting stuff
    B. Lack of exciticing stuff

What is the shootout?
    A. Exciting stuff
    B. Lack of exciting stuff

Exciting stuff, the shootout, brings more fans to the game.

Look-most people aren't die-hard fans of soccer and believe the way the rest of the world does things is the way it must be done here. There are fans who could almost care less who wins as long as they have a good time-and very few of them post here, and they're the ones we can ADD to the fanbase.

I do NOT like overtime. I can deal w/no shootout. But PLEASE find a way to get rid of these 0-0 games, or the game like United had against the Revs where it's detemined by a penalty. Even MLS Cup last year was 0-0 until double OT because both teams (especially NE) refused to attack.

About Waldo, he got injured playing the game, just like players get injured playing the game in regulation. It's too bad, but that's part of the game.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no you wouldn't, you'd see what you see in most European games, players stop playing for anything but a tie at about 80 minutes making the tie even more boring to watch. If the players were worried about injuries in OT, they might try to score in the last 10 minutes of regulation to avoid it. I think the biggest problem that having ties allowed is the mindset that it's more important to not lose than to win, all too popular in England, et. al.

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    So there is better than a 1 in 4 chance that in that tiny 10 minute span there will be a goal?

I'd like to see the numbers for the chances of goals in all the other 10 minute spans of a game before I can really make a decision about this.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Well the numbers look like this:

Out of 140 games this season:

1 - 15 - 49 goals
    16 - 30 - 51 goals
    31 - 45 - 70 goals
    46 - 60 - 67 goals
    61 - 75 - 58 goals
    76 - 90 - 82 goals
    Overtime - 11 goals

Stats on MLSnet.com are in 15 minute intervals. Hard to assess the goals per game and minute senarios because goals do come in bunches. You may have one goal in a 15 period or 4 goals in a single game, which skews the averages. But it would seem that the overtime period is not especially productive for goal scoring or at least not inordinately so...