FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Makes sense. There are already some good test events for the USA so why not have one set of playoffs in Mexico and the other in Canada.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1502 HomietheClown, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    Good to know they have fixed the issue. Miami and Santa Clara would be the best options then if that is the case. Miami with a slight edge in my mind though due to aforementioned factors along with their grass usually being rated as top to play on by the NFL... ..but who knows?

Mexico can host too of course. Just not very likely for many reasons. FIFA will want this to be a spectacle and I am not sure an empty/half empty massive Azteca will be desirable. (Mexico rarely draws well for random CONCACAF teams in the recent past.)

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Canada outdoors in March???? Not likely to happen. Maybe Vancouver (Dome) but that has flight issues for most confederations and they have to lay down grass too.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is a March date confirmed? It seems pretty late to me. They are normally November for a normal world cup.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was thinking the same thing and assumed November earlier in the thread but it seems like it is March. Maybe because of the Gold Cup mega tournament thing? Not sure.

November would probably be worse for Canada to host the Playoffs anyway so not sure why you bring it up.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. You can feel bad for teams in recent CAF cycles, but if you can't win a four team CONCACAF group that doesn't have the USA/MEX/CAN then you don't really have a complaint about not being at the World Cup.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CONCACAF qualifying format announcement said that it will finish with three groups of four that play six matches in the Sep/Oct/Nov windows. The next available window would be March.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If wikipedia has the schedule right there seems a huge break in the second round with matches played in June 24, then the next games in June 25.

r0adrunner and HomietheClown repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, for anyone who hasn't followed the announcement: that's June 2024 and June 2025 :eek:

I'm guessing that at this point, FIFA's just going to normalize having playoff berths still up for grabs when the draw happens :rolleyes:

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know CONCACAF has a full schedule but surely they can shift other things a window or two so that this phase gets completed in reasonable time, then move on to other competitions.

Seems that way but I don't know why. It makes the draw unnecessarily complicated and I think a playoff tournament with the WC draw at its conclusion would make a nice event.

Paul Calixte and Every Four Years repped this.
  11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's FIFA that sets the deadline for when the qualification competitions need to finish. If FIFA wanted the playoff in November, then CONCACAF would have to adjust, otherwise it won't. I assume the big gap between June 2024 and June 2025 will be filled with another Nations League.

12. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    World Cup 2026: Fifa set to make decision on four-team group format this month

BBC

BocaFan repped this.
  13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perhaps the WC final competition draw will be held at the culmination of the playoffs in March 2026.

UEFA will now be able to arrange playoffs for its final 4 places in March 2026.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I doubt it. Not ideal for the teams or the fans to only know where they are going until ~10 weeks before the tournament starts. Especially for a WC that spans an entire continent.

Paul Calixte, almango and Viking lord repped this.
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm assuming they wouldn't be adding in additional stadiums. I guess that means most stadiums will add two more matches then going from 80 to 104.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I assume they won't add new stadiums too. But you never know.
    The Chicago Bears are allegedly moving out to a new stadium in the suburbs and the new team President said he would like to bring World Cup games there but that can all be just rhetoric and a pipe dream because the stadium likely won't be built in time plus other logistics and FIFA demands would have to be ironed out.

I am not sure there are any other stadiums that would have a chance to be added.

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They could delay the draw but I don't think they will. Shortens up the planning time for teams and fans too much. You could get away with it in Qatar as wherever you stayed you were in easy reach of every ground but North America is a big continent.

Paul Calixte and r0adrunner repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

You're both mixing up pre- and post-WC expansion.

Anyway, crap format is crap format. If it does a crap job of determining a region's 5 best teams to send to the WC, it will also do a crap job of determining a region's best 8.

19. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    So anybody knows when their Will be any news about qualifiers? When it Will start, how it Will be and so on.

And when the final format for the World cup Will be made

20. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Depends on your confederation. CONMEBOL will keep their current format, and they will start this year (likely in September, but the only "confirmation" we have is that they start this year)

CONCACAF Qualifiers start in June 2024 and will use a group format instead of the final 8.

Iran fan repped this.
  21. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    AFC preliminaries - using a deplorable format that begins with a 22-team KO first round - will start in October while UEFA's - with the teams drawn into 12 groups of 4 or 5 teams each - will not start until March 2025.

There are reports FIFA might decide the final competition format next Wednesday.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombian media is spreading rumors that Qualifying will not start until February so who knows?

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You mean March 2024? That makes sense. 5 FIFA windows per year ==> 10 matchdays in 2025 and 8 matchdays in 2024 (2 less since June 2024 is for Copa America). So, a March 2024 start would enable them to finish in Nov 2025.

r0adrunner and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. I meant March.

The post in the Colombian forum said February/March but March is the actual FIFA calendar month.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look who's back, from outer space...