FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, though I'm not sure if it helps or hurts them. They would have qualified pretty easily anyway giving all the spots CONCACAF gets for the 48-team WC.

The thing that will definitely help is the inevitable top seed they will receive for the final WC draw.

Cosmin10 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ukraine, Greece and Paraguay breathing a sigh of relief at the precedent :D

Gobernador Blanco and Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  3. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    I wonder what would morocco say if FIFA approaches them with following: you get the world cup but you can't participate o_O:rolleyes::D:ROFLMAO:

4. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    Have the fixtures for the South American World Cup qualifiers been announced yet? At one point I’m sure I read these were supposed to be starting on 25th March but I can’t find any fixtures.

5. Gobernador Blanco

Chicago Fire
    Mexico
    Jul 30, 2022
    Upper Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I haven’t seen anything either. My gusss is it’ll start this fall. That’s when the 2018 qualifiers started in October 2015. 2022 was delayed/condensed due to COVID but that also started in October 2020

Paul Calixte and Real Mardin repped this.
  6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1481 unclesox, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    I’m guessing the March start was speculated by those who believed CONMEBOL teams would be participating in the next edition of the UEFA Nations League (?)

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If the CONMEBOL bid wins for 2030, I guess WC qualifying in CONMEBOL would consist of a HEX- style format {Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia}, with top 3 qualifying automatically and 4th-place going to the playoff. Very similar to what CONCACAF used to have pre-2018.

8. Gobernador Blanco

Chicago Fire
    Mexico
    Jul 30, 2022
    Upper Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow. I hadn’t thought of that in the case that the CHUPAR wins the bid. If all 3 of the 2026 hosts automatically, i can’t imagine they would change that for the 4 host nations in 2030

Paul Calixte and BocaFan repped this.
  9. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is that plan dead? I don't think there will be time for it unless the qualifiers start in June at the latest.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it isn't, no one told UEFA: they already announced the format for 2024-25 Nations League with the added QF round, and there was no room in it for guest teams.

BocaFan and r0adrunner repped this.
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The four CHUPAR hosts qualifying automatically only leaves 2 more direct berths for Conmebol... I agree that the Hex is the most likely outcome, but with the top 2 qualifying directly and the next 2 going to the playoffs (Conmebol would get a 2nd playoff berth as the host confederation).

BocaFan repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh right. I was thinking that the host confederation gets an extra spot, but you're right - they only get an extra playoff spot.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    WC/Copa Qualifying news.

"In terms of qualification for the 2026 World Cup, with Canada, Mexico and the U.S. automatically qualifying as hosts, there will be an additional three spots as well as two intercontinental playoff positions for which CONCACAF teams will vie.

There will be three rounds of qualifying, including a final phase of 12 teams in which there will be three groups of four teams. The three group winners will qualify with the two best second place teams moving on to the intercontinental playoff."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/concaca...als-revamped-world-cupcopa-america-qualifying

Paul Calixte and r0adrunner repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Am not a big fan of the CAF-esque WC qualifying format they've introduced for this cycle. :thumbsdown:

r0adrunner repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Why not?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also, I am hearing the aforementioned WC intercontinental playoff tournament involving 6 teams will likely be played in one single location.

Miami probably should be the place in my opinion considering it will be November (weather) and easier for most teams to Fly back for most of the Confederations.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just don't like it when group winners qualify and 2nd place teams could be eliminated with no playoff or second chance. So, much boils down to the draw (and thus, the FIFA ranking) and which pot 1 team you end up with.

Maybe it doesn't matter so much in the current cycle given that the 3 best teams in CONCACAF are not involved in qualifying. But there could still be a big difference whether you draw Costa Rica as the pot 1 team in your group or Jamaica.

HomietheClown repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    As of right now I think Costa Rica, Honduras and El Salvador would be the seeds but it all depends on earlier round upsets and anything can happen when it comes to FIFA rankings.

That said, if those teams are separated it would be ideal for CONCACAF and FIFA to have the obvious two qualify for attendance.
    I know it is not supposed to be about stuff like that but my gut is saying that is part of the reason why they did this.

Honduras and El Salvador will bring people in droves for the inaugural qualifying playoffs and World Cup.

BocaFan repped this.
  20. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    According to the schedule released by Concacaf, it will likely be in March 2026.

Paul Calixte and HomietheClown repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm, I missed that.

Miami still is better than most Venues in March. Cannot think of any better.

r0adrunner repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see AFC sides - and our own Central American contingent - lobbying for California.

I agree, but I'd point the concern to the other end: with any pot 1 team being a difficult piñata to break, the bigger question is which pot 4 team is in your group. I'd be livid if the last team in my group were Guatemala, while the other sides got to play patticake with St. Vincent and Belize.

23. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but theres a big difference from Panama missing out vs a team like Egypt.

If you just went chalk on what the groups would be:
    A: Costa Rica, Curacao, Haiti, St. Kitts
    B: Panama, Honduras, Trinidad, Suriname
    C: Jamaica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Antigua

That drop off from the 3rd to 4th pot is very real. Again a lot can happen and upsets can really mess with things but we could get a pure Caribbean group out of it which would be a ton of fun to watch.

The other thing that will be very interesting to watch in CONCACAF specifically is how recruiting will work. Jamaica, Haiti, and Curacao may be able to get some legit dual nationals with the promise of World Cup play.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1499 HomietheClown, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    *Edit California can work, my bad. But there's issues with artificial turf in Los Angeles, while Santa Clara has been rated poorly for their grass from what I have heard.

Central Americans love Miami in general just as much as California. So I think it would mostly be just the Asian contingent clamoring for Cali.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Clara had terrible problems with the grass when the stadium opened, but they figured it out in time to host the Super Bowl in 2016. That's not really a problem anymore.

In March 2026 the host venues that normally have artificial turf will probably be in the process of installing grass for the summer and wouldn't be available. Does it have to be in the US? Why not Mexico?

The playoff is really two three-team tournaments, two matches each. It would be nice to at least split those into two locations.

Every Four Years repped this.