FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Agreed.

The more teams you allow into the World Cup, the more difficult the logistics become. The obvious answer is to use fewer stadiums, but more frequently (there's no reason a stadium can't host a match every 2-3 days, for example). That said, fewer stadiums decreases the opportunities for construction-related graft and corruption, which is a key factor in many bids.

But if FIFA wants 12 or more stadiums for each World Cup, you're probably limited to the USA or China as single-country hosts.

Even a multi-country African bid would be economically wasteful, since I'm not sure that there's a single country in Africa that has large enough league attendances to justify building more than one World-Cup sized/quality stadium. Pretty much every stadium built for World Cup 2010 outside of Johannesburg is now a slowly deteriorating white elephant.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a couple of them have deteriorated due to the cost of maintenance but most of the stadiums are used for rugby union which is their wealthiest sport.

Something like 8 of the 10 World Cup stadiums are part of their rugby union world cup bid.

AlbertCamus and BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I think for the 2010 WC the positives outweighed the negatives. The white elephants was the main negative of that WC, I would say. And they're not that "white" as you say. Though they are certainly elephants. ( I somewhat doubt they get more than 10 or 15k to attend those rugby union matches on average).

Starting with WC 2014 I think the negatives began outweighing the positives, peaking in 2022 where there are arguably only negatives. But in 2026 I think the trend will reverse itself again towards more positives.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...but can you imagine the howls if the field ends up less than pristine by the third game in a week?

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One issue is that club rugby union attendances have collapsed since 2014. Maybe that's because of the huge stadiums.

BocaFan repped this.
  6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably more to do with the way the laws of the game and their interpretation have changed. It's become a pretty boring sport over the last 20 years.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty boring before then. Between the great Welsh team of the 1970s and the professionalism of the 1990s the number of tryless internationals, especially in the 5 nations, was overwhelming. But people go to international games to get drunk so nobody cared.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We had a good period here in the south in the 90's when Super Rugby started with lots of flowing Rugby and tries but then the rules guys in the northern hemisphere didn't like that and turned the game back into a rolling maul where penalty kicks decided who won the close games. By the mid 2000's the game was one where the ball was always under contest (it's slogan here when competing with rugby league) but rarely seen by the spectators as it was usually stuck inside a mass of large bodies for most of the game. Then the referee would blow his whistle for something no one understood (including the players) and someone would take a kick at goal.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rugby league rules rule!

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA could move to federation wide World cups.

It also gets rid of the host country spot.

Have a UEFA world cup, followed by an Africa world cup, follow by a Conmebol WC, the UEFA again (other wise they would cry), then Asia, then Concacaf (US and friends really).

Only Oceania gets screwed.

11. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Nah, having it in a small group of neighboring countries is better for the fan experience and tournament atmosphere. If there are more than three hosts though, no automatic qualifications imo.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have to be UEFA, CONMEBOL, UEFA, CAF, UEFA, CONCACAF, UEFA, AFC.

Not that it's going to happen.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed. In UEFA's case, its just not necessary to have it confederation-wide. What would be the "pros" of that?
    AFC is simply too large and covers too many time zones even if you exclude Australia. And also not really necessary as its fairly easy to think of combinations of 2 to 4 countries that can host together with minimal need for new stadiums to be built. e.g. Japan-Korea (again), Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia-Australia, China and anyone. Again, what are the "pros" of having it AFC-wide over any of those 3 options??

Will find out in December 2022 when its more like 4 games in a week in a given stadium. :coffee:

Every Four Years and Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think every 3rd for UEFA. More like UEFA CONMEBOL CAF UEFA CONCACAF AFC. Continent wide wouldn't work for some due to distances time zones etc but restricting it to a region within a confederation would eg AFC have five regional organisations within it and hosting could be within each zone. Not sure how you could fit OFC in. If AFC was feeling kind maybe New Zealand could host a group if they held it in the south east region. Would probably need to be a 64 team cup before that happened.as there are already 12 nations in that region. Probably need to require hosting nations to qualify though.

15. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    Everyone not resident in the U.S. and Canada can book their tickets to Mexico in 2026. Even the athletes can't get into the U.S. for World's. Any bets on which team get's denied entry to the U.S. in 2026 after failing to apply in advance, thinking they wouldn't get out of the Mexico-based group?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mpionships-visa-trouble-athletes/10057519002/

P.S. The Canadians are currently no better at visa processing; an HIV conference is proving that.

16. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    this time there is one good thing for people from countries with usa visa requirement and they should think about that and use it well in advance. usa is usually issuing 10 years multiple entry visas, so everyone‘s got four years time to find the best way to get one. be it a business travel, sponsored visit, paid tourism round trip or anything else, and once you‘ve got your us visa you easilly get canadian one for transit into us AND to enter canada for as long as your us visa or passport is valid, whatever comes first.

I am aware most people start thinking about this when world cup is close but it is big advantage compared to many other visas that get issued for one entry or for shorter period of time (6 months or one year are common)! I am also aware there are countries whose people us government simply does not like to welcome, and these countries might well qualify for the world cup, but that‘s another problem, much bigger than just going to the game….

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory it would be groupings of countries.

Like say a North Africa WC with 5 countries hosting for CAF, or a East Africa WC.

A East Asia WC (China can probably hold it on their own if they want). A South Asia WC, an Arab World cup, a Stanistan WC for AFC.

South America could rotate 5 countries hosting each time they get it. (Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru and Ecuador) then (Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay).

Europe could do 4 or 5 groupings West, East, North, South and maybe 'center' WC.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What's the point though when surely its better for everyone to simply have an entire WC in the U.K. or Spain-Portugal or Germany-Netherlands, etc. ?

r0adrunner and Cosmin10 repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many stadiums are required for a bigger tournament (if you are not Qatar), it would give smaller countries a chance to maybe host a few games.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess. Depends how you define "small" but I just gave some examples of how what I would call small European countries (Portugal, Netherlands, Scotland, etc.) can co-host a WC fairly easily along with just 1 other (big) country. No need for a whole chunk of Europe to share hosting duties IMO.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential FWC 48 team hosts:

UEFA
    England 16 stadiums (with upgrades*)
    Germany 16

AFC
    China up to 40
    Japan 16

CONMEBOL
    Argentina/Uruguay 16 (with upgrades*)

CAF
    Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia up to 20

By upgrades I mean adding a maximum of 3,000 seats to make capacity up to 40k.

BocaFan repped this.
  22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  23. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Terrible. 11 teams - nearly a quarter of the AFC's membership - will be eliminated from the WC the best part of 3 years before the event having played only 2 matches.

24. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    It is indeed terrible, but when is this happening, please? I really want to follow the qualifiers for United 2026 from the start if at all possible.

25. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it doesn't justify this method, but CONCACAF used to eliminate some reasonably decent teams early in the cycle too.

But the bottom 11 in AFC are really bad teams, I don't see a big issue in this. Look at the current bottom 11 and their world ranking:

Nepal - 176
    Macau - 182
    Laos - 183
    Mongolia - 184
    Bhutan - 186
    Brunei Darussalam - 190
    Bangladesh - 192
    Pakistan - 196
    Timor-Leste - 199
    Guam - 205
    Sri Lanka - 207

even the next 11 above those teams that would participate in the 36 team round aren't very good:

Hong Kong
    Malaysia
    Kuwait
    Yemen
    Afghanistan
    Indonesia
    Maldives
    Chinese Taipei
    Myanmar
    Singapore
    Cambodia

I don't see this as that terrible. There is a reasonable path for even those bottom 11 to get into the 36 team WCQ tournament as those teams above them all look beatable. And there are other tournaments like the Asian Cup.

Every Four Years repped this.