United 2020 Postmortem and 2021 Preseason

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I'm not thrilled but I like it better than the current home strip. (Pending the shorts) At least it's not a copy of even worse Milan kits.

I think it will play better viewed as a whole team, but we'll see.

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than the purported solid maroon, but it bugs me that Adidas can't just leave stripes alone. Montreal, Dallas, SKC, and us all had great striped jerseys and Adidas just keeps effing with them until they're garbage. SKC went through a couple of really great designs, but they scrapped all those, too. Somebody doesn't get their fashion design cred, though, if they don't jazz it up a bit. Stripes are really not that hard, as shown by our inaugural jersey.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but the modern sports industry ethos is "change for change's sake," because you'll stop selling jerseys if they're always the same. Sooner or later everyone will have theirs and they won't need a new one, so we're just gonna have to ride through these times.

I also stopped blaming kit manufacturers, too, because they're all equally guilty. They all make a few beauties and a few dogs.

The one thing I wish is that they wouldn't change them out this often. Granted, if I win the PowerBall I might not care about that aspect of it, but for now...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's a lot of stuff they could do without altering the look as much as they did with the 2019 home shirt, and maybe still sell a lot of them. I can't call it. I mean, Boca Juniors has had the same look for decades and they still sell. They're a bit of a bigger club than we are, so there's that.

I wonder how many fans buy shirts (after the first one) based on how they look. I was never going to buy the most recent home shirt, but I still plan on getting a King Peach. I figure they'll be around for a few years more, on eBay and whatnot.

7. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I guess I'm one of the few who like the new "leaked" jersey. I think the stripes need to be thicker for viewing sake, but I like the understated look. That and its different compared to what other clubs have done.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've mellowed over it in the last few hours, and I like it now. I do wish it had been red with black stripes.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don’t mind it. I was expecting bigger things from Jahn and Cubo, and both turned out to be duds. It would be a lot to ask Josef to go from a career threatening injury back to bearing the pressure of playing every minute or this team collapses.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, center back, Josh Bauer, is a pretty good player.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He was at B'ham Legion. I wonder if they saw him when we played them last year?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hmm. While my usual notion is "More talent (added to the roster) is never a bad thing" MLS clubs have less wiggle room compared to, say, Arsenal or Bayern in stockpiling youth, so I'd be curious to see if such a signing is a precursor to another departure/sale.

15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't quite get the hate for Jahn. He was never brought in with the intention of starting a substantial number of games for the club. I always saw his role as a big body to hold up the ball late in games to hold a lead, or hoof it to in the box for a late equalizer. He had a role, he was cheap, and I though he could have done his job just fine. I never considered him more than a bit starter, if that. Especially with how bad the team was last year, anybody below Josef level quality would have suffered.

I'm late to the kit discussion, but I'll put in my two cents. My biggest complaint is how much the kits from the manufacturers look the same. It's less about club identity than kit manufacturer identity. This is magnified in MLS since everyone is Adidas. Every kit introduced last year had that stupid shoulder stripe. Its easier to tell who made a kit than who the kit represents, and it should be the other way around.

I'd keep the primary kit from 2017 and never touch it. But go nuts every year with a new secondary kit. Just make them interesting, and I'll pick them up every year.

16. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    1. Last years kit was the 25 anniversary MLS kit, they were supposed to look the same.
    2. If they kept the 2017 kit the teams would lose revenue because kits are a big seller. It is exactly why all teams in the world change their kits every year. The big European teams change three of them! Though I agree with your point, just make subtle changes instead of wholesale.

17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the MLS store, the maroon jersey is just a practice shirt. Was there ever an "official" release of that?

In other news, Austin's home kit is what ours should have looked like (except in the correct colors instead of green).

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I tend to agree. Even so, there are so many clubs in the world that no matter who does the design, it's going to look like some other club somewhere. AC Milan has probably done every version of vertical striping out there, and anything we do is going to look like something they've done before.

I'd have bought another shirt by now if they HAD made the home shirt more like the original. The reason I have only one shirt now is because all the releases have been ugly, more or less. The concrete and red from 2017 was the ugliest, IMO, followed by the 2019 home, followed by the King Peach. I like the gold and white, whether it's 25th Anniversary or not.

I just don't understand why Adidas can't say to each MLS club, "Here's a list of our patterns. Here's a list of our colors. Make your choice and send it back to us by (insert date here__________)" I don't see where that would cost Adidas or MLS a dime more.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely wish they would make the uniforms more original to each club. But I also wish they had more originality in the team names.

MLS branding is about as vanilla as you can get.

21. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, realistically, most of the famous teams in the world are pretty boringly named. "Manchester United FC," "Chelsea FC," "FC Barcelona," "FC Bayern Munich," "Juventus FC..." The list goes on. Half the teams in England are something-or-other "United." The only name I really can't stand in the U.S. is "Real" Salt Lake. There's nothing "royal" (or even Spanish) about Salt Lake City, Utah.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think plenty of MLS franchises roll with the nickname focus thing- you got New England, Columbus, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, Philly, LA, Chicago, Vancouver, Montreal, and Colorado. That's 11 teams, and at least three more have official/unofficial nicknames- us (5 Stripes), Minny (Loons) and Po'lando City (Lions).

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    KRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATZZZZZZZZZZZZZ IS... at the Academy as a Technical Instructor, per Roberson.
    Merlo has not yet confirmed the move :)

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-...rings-back-torres/AU4IODZO65AILM52QOKUUEDVYE/

Cubo has been re-signed. May mean Heinze is confident that he can get something out of him, I don't know.

There was this girl we called Cujo (tho not to her face) in ugrad school. She wasn't very nice, either, so there's that. She's probably got a husband and a family by now, tho, running around marking fire hydrants and shit

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It looks like Torres is on the supplemental roster, which costs us less money, or something.

Now I'm confused. Supplemental? Surely the guy can play somewhere other than here...