Union Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Zac has not yet lost the job 9 days before the opener. With wording like that, he's got nothing to worry about.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...rm-on-Keon-Daniels-future-with-the-Union.html

3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. phillyunion215

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while the team has addressed almost all major issues to the starting 11 looking at the roster the one spot i feel will be detrimental to use will be up top.

yes we have jacmac however he is a poacher.
    Casey is aging and (i doubt) will be able to stay fully healthy for the entire season
    the rest of the guys on the roster simply cant preform for 90 minutes for 34+ games (not like they see that time)

i would like the FO to look to adding a flat our striker during the summer window. someone who can knock one in from 20 yards and can be a critical finisher in the box. With the midfield i think we are going to field there isnt much room for a traditional hold up striker (thanks to multiple box to box center mids) that being said a striker who can take the ball and make a serious run at a defense (not the cruz run into defense and fall over type either)
    A player with that skill set should be able to work with the poaching jacmac yet relieve pressure from other offensive personal a la casey

UdiHrant repped this.
  5. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Three word answer -Hop En Oh. Mark my words.

6. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    :(

urchin repped this.
  7. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack - 12
    Casey - 10
    Seba - 3
    Cruz - 3
    Okugo - 3
    Hoppenot - 3
    Williams - 2
    Carroll - 2

Last year's multiple goal scorers. All still on the roster. All expected to see significant playing time. Add Maidana. Add Noguiera. Add Edu. You can point at formational deficiencies or personnel to run them. I'll point at output.

Yes, we still need Jack and Casey to carry the load, but that doesn't mean we won't score with our current roster. Let's see how it comes together. Maybe we will need to add a striker in the summer. Not sure we have the cap room to do so though.

8. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would prefer to see Wheeler get a lot more minutes if Casey goes out. In the very limited field time he got last year, he was much more impressive than Hoppenot. He deserves a run of starts to show what he can do.

9. urchin

urchin SoB

Apr 13, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]

billf repped this.
  10. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'll point at output too, the Union were 12th out of 19 in goals scored. Jack an Casey accounted for just over 50% of the goals. His point is valid, all of the eggs are in one big basket and if 25% of last years roster is sidelined, well that's a legit issue. Hopps three goals don't fill one wi confidence,esp when one was a weird cross that floated in. Another striker is a need.

As for cap room, well some of those MFers won't be with us by the weekend.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure if we looked at every team......most of their goals are scored by a handful of players (usually 2-3). Vancouver lost Camilo and his 22 goals, which was roughly half of their team total for league play. Next highest scorer was Kenny Miller with 8.

Sporting KC, RSL, and Portland look like exceptions to the rule. Although SKC scored only 5 more goals then the Union did. Leading Scorer was Bieler with 10, next was Kei with 7 and he was only around for maybe a third of their matches too.

Point is that you can say this same thing about most clubs across the globe (exceptions would be Man City, Madrid, FCB, etc). Look at Man United. When Rooney and Van Persie are out they struggle mightily to score. This is why goal scorers are so coveted and cost so much money. They are also very difficult to find, let alone keep.

12. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Look at Man United, right. Exactly. I was replying to a post saying we'll be ok (which was replying to a post saying we might could use an additional scoring threat). Your point about ManUtd bolsters mine, with one or both of their scoring options hurt (though Chicharito and Welbeck aint bad as backups go), they've tumbled down the table and face missing out on CL play next year. With Casey an injury possibility given his current fitness and not too distant history and Jack's Doug Henning-esque disappearance, the odds of the U faring well would be at serious risk. Do we have players who are nominally scorers? Yes. Would you feel confident that Wheeler/Hoppenot could carry the offensive load for a stretch of time? I don't. Could SLT move forward? Yes, but then we know what happens, rhymes with Looze plays 70 minutes down the side. Wouldn't a better solution be to move some of our excess midfielders for a forward? Especially with an eye to 2015, with Jack possibly gone and Casey another year older.

Anyway. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have guys like Edu/Maidana/Noguiera who could/should take long(er) distance shots on net it'll be a win-win situation; opposing teams focus on these midfield attackers which lets the likes of JMac/Le Toux/Casey be "forgotten" for through-balls and/or rebounds OR they focus on the forward corps and allow VinMoChacho to bomb some in.

</cautiously optimistic>

jaykoz3, Amscray and Tyr repped this.
  14. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Any ideas on what Williams MRI will be about ? Hack made comment that one was needed.

15. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    No idea, but I'm suddently reaally glad that the team made Fabihno the LB, so Gaddis can be the backup for both sides.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He left the TFC game with a non-contact injury early in the first half.

17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a right ankle injury or possibly a right knee injury. He slipped when he tried to cross a ball.

18. usfutbol12

usfutbol12 Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impression I got while watching the steam was that it was a muscle injury, most likely right quad. Depending on the severity, I'd say that's probably a good thing compared to something more serious but muscle injuries can also be easily tweaked leading to long set backs.

Also saw this later which kinda sorta confirms what my feeling was watching it live.

mattylip repped this.
  19. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. I was surprised to see Hack say yesterday that Ribeiro won't be available for the Portland game.

20. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, he looked OK walking off. I use Stu Holden's facial expression from his injury in qualifiers as a baseline for determining how serious an athlete thinks his injury is, and Williams was like a 2 out of 10 on the Holden scale.

21. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  22. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No cut announcements?

23. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the rumblings, I'd guess Keon is gone.

25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hopefully no one gets hurt against Montreal.