Union Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we got 4 pieces out of the promised "3 or 4 pieces." All
    From what I see and hear, the prevailing thought out there is that KC and NY are the superior teams in the East this season and how the rest of the teams finish will be based upon how well the teams gel, who suffers injuries and the other usual things that can help or sink a team. In theory, TFC, DCU and the Union have improved significantly over last season. NER seems to have a great young attacking core. HOU, CLB, CHI and MON may not have done as much but there are a lot of veterans on those teams and HOU particularly always seems to do the right things to finish strong.

When the preseason projections come out over the next 10 days, I suspect that SKC and NY will be at the top of most prognosticators' lists, then followed by TFC. I think that 4-10 will be a jumbled mess without any real consensus.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  2. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Um...that was me being positive...

"Nexus Cardholder:Member Since 2012"

BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Union will seriously contend for the title this year. Too many new pieces, I'm still not convinced that their back 5 will stand up against the best attackers in the league (Berry is very good, but he's not an immediate upgrade over Parke...left back is still a weakness, MacMath is still a young keeper). But I do think the Union will be in the running for the 3rd spot, and could conceivably make the final. It'll depend on how things work out in Toronto and New England. Not making the playoffs would be an abject failure.

LuckyStriker, derek750 and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  4. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it silly to say they are simply contenders for a playoff spot? They were contenders last year until the final weekend, and are considerably improved this season.

Not saying they are title contenders but playoffs easily

5. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I don't think there's much difference between "making the playoffs" and "MLS contenders" -- the playoffs certainly favor the higher seeds (who are more likely to win based on talent anyway) but are still basically a crapshoot. And the difference between the #3 seed and #1 seed in the playoffs setup isn't much.

Furthermore, this is MLS, the "strength" of teams can often fluctuate wildly from year to year based on injuries and how players gel -- the talent level between teams in the league just isn't that great, even looking at the top teams. I mean, year, RBNY and KC on paper should be better teams than Union, but they aren't so much better than some lucky (or unlucky) bounces here and there couldn't make the difference in the standings.

I feel like Union should be somewhere in the #4-6 range in the East, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they are far better or far worse than that. It's MLS. At the minimum, the team has addressed all their obvious holes and has pushed some weaker starters into supporting roles where they are better suited. That should be worth a couple of games in the standings, which would have been all they needed last season to get into the playoffs.

DaMunk repped this.
  6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I do think they've improved, certainly on paper. Will that translate tangibly into on-field results? Maybe. I think a good portion of the fanbase has been laboring under the impression (and maybe our CEO too), that we were just a few pieces away from winning it all. My baseline was "please for the love of God do SOMETHING/ANYTHING", and they met that. I just don't think as a team they're better than SKC /RBNY /TFC. What we will find out is if they have moved into that next tier and can challenge HOU (who let's face it has us outcoached by a landslide), and NER. I think they can hang with the new look DCU / CMB / MTL. But that's where we are, depending on a bounce or two not going our way (or the team packing it in in the last few weeks again) we could be 4th-8th.

7. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did do something. The roster certainly looks better on paper. There are still questions at LB, CB (although to a lesser extent after the Berry acquisition), and the ability of the forwards to finish chances. If Casey is injured and/or Jack fails to perform, this team is going to struggle mightily. I have doubts about the ever-shrinking "core" group of young players. While it is true the team narrowly missed a playoff berth last year, it also overperformed in the first half of the season, coasting on McInerney's excellent form to the top of the conference standings. The second half was a regression to the mean. Moreover, the players will always be constrained by the coaching, and Hack has shown himself to be quite limited in tactical acumen. Anyone who expects anything more than a fight for a low playoff berth followed by a quick exit will be quite disappointed.

8. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC and RBNY I'll give you. Although the pedigree (read, amount spent on) of the players they've brought in is higher than the Union's, TFC is another team who has gone through an overhaul more or less, and those player will take time to gel. I guess tomorrow should be a good litmus test, because it's not like TFC is looking like a juggernaut at the moment.

10. biniman90

biniman90 Member

Aug 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can finish anywhere from 1-6 in the East. I'd expect 3-5. How successful we are depends on how well we gel, coaching, and the quality of the new signings. I expect Maidana and Nogueira to be big pieces for us and successul, but it wouldn't be the first time in MLS (or this team) history that sure-fire moves don't work out.

When it comes down to it, this is Hack's team. Now is the time for him to prove us wrong.

Also, I think Toronto will make the playoffs, but I don't think they will be contending for the top spot this year. I think they are good but over-hyped.

12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this teams sets it's sites on the playoffs and playing well as they start. Do that and then ask why not us.

13. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to recycle this bad boy

[​IMG]

lopezzzz, billf and derek750 repped this.
  14. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Tyr Spot on, agree on all points.

15. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

If they can pass the ball down field to feet instead of to the chest or the knees, or worse, huff it up the field, and get a flow going while creating scoring chances out of the midfield, they can be interesting to watch.

I agree with you re: Toronto. I think Bradley is a terrific player for this level, but I'm not sure how much difference he alone would make to that team. Defoe, however can be TFC's Robbie Keane, but potentially better. Maybe they'll play a bunch of 3-2 games since their defense is still shaky.

16. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's still hard to believe they might be a whole lot better. Young players have to keep getting better and Jack has to learn how to score the back breaking goal. I think they got a chance at third. They have to take advantage of teams missing players during the World Cup.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the Revs about this.

18. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  19. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 5 east playoff teams from last year (NYRB, SKC, NER, MON, HOU) had relatively quiet offseasons compared to those who didnt:

DCU - Rebuilt backline and forward corps
    Chicago - Rebuilt backline
    Philly - Rebuilt midfield
    Columbus - Brand new central defense
    TFC - high profile acquisitions across the field

This is what you would expect, I suppose, teams that missed the playoffs investing and retooling.

I'll project this:

SKC and NYRB
    -----------------
    PHI, NER, MON, HOU, TFC, CHI
    -----------------
    Columbus and DCU

Nothing surprising really. Just going to be a really competitive eastern conference this year.

20. hasuprotoss

hasuprotoss Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amscray repped this.
  22. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    like father like son
    [​IMG]

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at it this way..............the main reasons to sub out a CB are: due to injury, or the need to get another attacking player on the field.

This is perfect for Wheeler, as it gives Hackworth more options for gamedays for the substitutes. Wheeler can fill in at CB in emergency cases but he's also a forward. This allows Hack to have an additional offensive player on the bench. Would you rather have White/Marquez on the bench and then have to choose between Wheeler/Pfeffer/Bone/Ribiero? Or would you rather have Wheeler AND Bone/Ribiero/Pfeffer on the bench?

Richard Saunders and mattylip repped this.
  24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. From what I can tell, the point of playing Wheeler at CB during preseason was not necessarily to turn him into a starter but to see what he has in the event of an emergency. There are only 6 field bench positions and if one can be filled by a guy who can sub into many different positions (like Lahoud for example), all the better. Also, the fact that Marquez was unavailable yesterday didn't hurt. (I'm not sure why White didn't play.)

25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union