Union Gear & Swag Catch-All [PART 5]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Layout looks like a winking pumpkin with a mouth full of Bimbo teeth. Half happy and half sad at the corners.

Maybe Bell's palsy on the right side?

2. DOOPist

DOOPist Member

May 17, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well, now we're just another navy blue team like SKC, Vancouver, NE, etc. I'm not arguing that the gold stripe was always well implemented, but it was a look that we owned. Any MLS fan could look at a game and know if the Union were playing at home.

Part of me wonders how much adidas was willing to make bespoke kits or elements for us vs someone like NYCFC, Seattle, Portland, etc who likely sells many more shirts.

This is McDermott making his mark on the team and it's identity. I'd expect him to trot out some market research about what fans wanted in the home shirt. (That's why the Sixers mascot is a blue dog. Market research.)

Looks like DCU, Portland, the U, etc. will all have some version of tonal hoops this season. Thanks adidas!

Union42 repped this.
  3. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad to see the gold stripe gone. I can't believe they would agree to get rid of it as it really set us apart jersey-wise and was something that would always connect back to the team's founding.

I guess generic teams get generic shirts, though.

cwelch999 repped this.
  4. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad they moved away from the center stripe which never seemed well-executed, but they could have done much better than this. I predict it will be paired with plain blue shorts and socks, and we will look exactly like half the other teams in MLS with solid navy or black kits.

Also, this image didn't come officially from the Union, just some unofficial twitter account. Any chance this just a training top or the Union just leaked a fake kit to mess with all the fans they assume are hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for the new kits?

5. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Could be....the picture that @LimeTree posted is just a mock-up of the shirt Accam is wearing when he arrived...the stripes on Accam's shirt seem to be gold, not a different tone of blue. Plus the gold on Accam's shirt match the background of the Union website right now, which could be a subtle hint at the new jersey.

It still seems like a strange way to tease/release the jersey though...there's been no tongue in cheek comments from the Union twitter account about the shirt he's wearing, but from the detective work I've done it looks like they had him change into that shirt and jacket after landing...there were pictures of him back in Chicago wearing a tan hoodie.

I'm still going to wait and see, I'm thinking it's probably the new shirt, but it could also just be a training top.

6. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a fine warm up.

7. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JT confirmed it.

aequitas repped this.
  8. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring. No trademark center stripe. Worst uniform since the nudes.

Phillyspur, buzzkiller23, Dills and 3 others repped this.
  9. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to be in the minority, but I really like it. I still love our traditional stripe, but there is only so much you can do with it. I don't mind a break, and the blue hoops and yellow accents are sharp.

Handsome Pete, drewuke and jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is indeed the new shirt.....@Tyr is no longer in the minority. IMO this is the sharpest looking shirt the Union have had. I completely understand the "Iconic Gold Center Stripe" and being unique in the league. Totally get that. Let's be honest.....it's never really been pulled off all that well in 8 years.....

That center stripe also limits what can be done for a kit as well. Honestly, this is what the Kit should have looked like in 2010 IMO.

I'll get one. New year. Slim possibility that the Ownership is actually trying, or at least looking as if they are trying. New Kit.

BTW....some of the new Adidas schwag looks nice, at least the stuff the players from other teams have been sporting on ESPN FC look good.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, so excited that the doors are open for a paisley patterned kit in 2020. Free from the shackles of a consistent identity! Hallelujah!

The Center stripe was always executed fine. I don’t understand any of the complaints.

aztec21bas, buzzkiller23 and Dills repped this.
  12. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the best USL Bethlehem Steel jersey ever

Phillyspur, LimeTree, BuddhaWake and 2 others repped this.
  13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in no way, shape, or form putting the Union at the same level as Barcelona, Celtic, Manchester United, Arsenal, the Argentine national team, et al ... but FFS, those teams' respective primary shirts are iconic symbols and instantly recognizable. Variations on a theme and all that, not every iteration of Celtic's green & white hoops are the same, but it's part of their BRAND, something the Union used to tout as a major selling point. Even domestically, a team like Atlanta United is banging their "five stripes" drum, and I'll bet it's a long time (if ever) that Arthur Blank approves of something different.

This stinks as lazy, unimaginative, boring, just pulling something off the rack and ironing on some patches. There are plenty of fan-made mockups out there that do a much better job. But it's all subjective. And, subjectively, I think it's a snoozer.

I'm not the biggest opponent of the sponsor - it could be a helluva lot worse - but IMO it's Bimbo's logo/wordmark that shackles a good design. It's still a sore subject with much of the fanbase. Make the sponsorship work with the design of the shirt ... don't concede on the design of the shirt so the sponsor "fits" better.

OwlSaver, cwelch999, aequitas and 7 others repped this.
  14. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best-of-both-worlds is already sitting in adidas's library. The Ajax home shirt has a center stripe that is just a little wider than ours traditionally had that accommodates the logo much better, plus it looks like a shirt with an actual pattern rather than a solid blue shirt that someone slapped a gold stripe on as an afterthought.

I can't get my phone to attach a picture, but it's easy to find on the google.

Attached Files:

thomas19064 and Dills repped this.
  15. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed here. I'm still waiting for a new sponsor to buy my first jersey (and children's). I still wish I got the logo-less back in '10.

16. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The price we have to pay just to get a non-centered crest. TBH, I'd have been more amenable to the hoops if they were out-and-out gold, as that would have given us a pallet cleanser without losing the both aspects of the identity. (As mentioned above, it looks like the stripes may be a muted gold under blue, but from far away whats the difference?) I actually thought the most recent home kit was damn near perfect.

But this one's just so plumb average. Shame that we'll be stuck with it for two years.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, but wait'll you see what they do with the 2019 away shirt!!!

:rolleyes:

thomas19064 repped this.
  18. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rep this ten times if I could. Spot on Dills!

It will be boring white with navy trim. MLS has apparently outlawed not having a white, which is ridiculous. We're never getting the light blue with yellow center stripe... ever!

Union42 repped this.
  19. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this true? I've heard conspiracy theories, but many clubs don't have a white jersey (Portland, NYCFC, Atl, Cbus, Colorado, Houston), not all of whom are the league's favorite children. Yet this doesn't explain why we can't have a yellow and sky blue secondary jersey (from the SOB/Phila city flag colors) when there is clearly demand for one, instead of the plain white high school jerseys we keep getting.

20. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Portland is getting white away kits this year and ATL had white-ish aways last year and from the leaks I've seen there new aways this year will be white. I know that's not everyone, but those are a few more going with the white aways.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is true and I'm of the opinion that the league should let clubs do what they please...it's getting in the way of organic identity and culture growth when you try to mandate white away jerseys, try to force Minnesota United to change their name because a richer owner wants "United" for himself, and block certain transfers (Edu to the Union originally)

Union42 and cwelch999 repped this.
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    955915376524713984 is not a valid tweet id

22. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has this account ever had a legit scoop?

buzzkiller23, thomas19064 and Tyr repped this.
  23. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Seems like a total BS account to me...(and I don't mean BigSoccer)
    955851010077011973 is not a valid tweet id

955850732724477953 is not a valid tweet id

955873358444466176 is not a valid tweet id

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  24. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Keegan Rosenberry: The Flasher
    956210943545004033 is not a valid tweet id

(was anyone there? I know they probably put a gag order on you if you were...but BigSoccer is anonymous-ish. Can you confirm/deny any of the mock-ups or draw one in Microsoft Paint? Signed, Impatient Union Fan)

buzzkiller23 and Dills repped this.
  25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States