Union 103

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Zak, Jan 15, 2007.

1. krs-two

krs-two Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Columbus
    I will have a small grill at the tailgate as well....will probably be bringing burgers, along with some other side items, and of course beer.

2. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better bring some hot chocolate as well. I'm hoping the forecast goes up a couple of degrees. Wouldn't be a problem if it was between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. start time. But game starts at 7 p.m. That means I won't get home until 12:30 at night. Hopefully the chance of snow goes away, yeah so much for global warming. I have to have that snow get out of the forecast. My dad is coming with me because I can't drive yet. I don't get my license back until April 16th. :cool: Abridged version, I got caught on my boat last summer doing bad things. So I got to depend on my dad for just this game. And, there is no way I can wait another 10 days for my Crewsmas. He likes soccer as well and started me in it when I was like 4. And, he goes to about two or three games a year with me. But, he isn't as hardcore as I am by any means. And, if it starts snowing there is no way. I don't understand why it can't be just 70 like it's been for the last week and a half.

It's kind of dumb for MLS to play the first week up North. Even at night in the beginning of April it's not going to be above 45 at night. Are they doing this in Columbus and Chicago as one of many tests towards a winter schedule?

If there is a chance of snow storms that might rule me out of attending this one. It wouldn't if I was driving. But, this sucks. Oh well if it says its 45 back home I will tell him it's 55 in Columbus. Sometimes it's 10 degrees warmer down there. Just praying to the soccer gods that the warm front expected like 3 days after comes on Saturday and that my dad won't give a shit if it's cold out.

3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix hot chocolate with goldschlager and it's all good...

4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are we holding the tailgate? I had heard mention of having a space on the southwest corner of the paved lot. Is this still true or an option? Or are we having it under the trees?

I'd like something that advertises who we are and try and recruit people to 103 if possible.

5. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    My understanding was the tailgate will be in the paved lot. I'm a bit skeptical about lugging all the goods from the grass lots.

As for what people are bringing. We really should get an idea of how much of a crowd to expect before too many people commit to bringing brats, dogs, burgers, etc. I'll be bringing some sodas for the non Alcoholic bunch(if any), as well as utensils, paper plates, napkins, and a pasta salad to add to the goodies.

Someone care to bring some garbage bags/cups??

6. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Someone also bring: 1. A bonfire 2. Some bearskins or other such cold prevention devices 3. Wooden huts like what people in michigan use to go ice fishing and 4. Anything else to help keep out the arctic blast that has become a staple for crew home openers.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all of those come in a simple bottled package known as: 151

8. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my season tickets last Thursday and they say 107. :-( Although I called that Brad guy the day after I initially asked for tickets. Because I told the first guy I dealt with that I wanted to be in 103 like three times and he put me in 107 anyways. And, Brad said I was switched to 103. Called Brad twice after I got my season tickets. Left two messages. And emailed both Brad and my first ticket guy. No response yet. Still need to get a ticket for my dad as well for Saturday's game. What the hell is going on there? Are they that busy?

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all went on a retreat to drink the "other" kind of Kool-Aid

10. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so where is the official tailgate for 103!? Can't wait for the season to start!!!!!!

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A winter schedule is bad for many reasons. NFL, NCAA football, NHL,NBA and college basketball, and various other sports have their seasons during the winter. Indoors. It would take one hell of a soccer fan to go outside to watch a game. Add to that a winter tailgate in places like NE, NY, Columbus, Chicago, etc. and it would be impossible.

Tailgates - I've seen "in the VIP lot" or "by the drainage ditch" so many times, I would be completely shocked to see it anywhere else.

12. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called Brad again and Rusty. Got no answers. So, I called the main office. They said I would have to ship back my 107 tickets back with priority mail. And, hopefully they get them back on Friday or at the latest early Saturday. Then I pick up my 103 tickets at will call along with my dad's 103 ticket. So hopefully that works out. It would of been alot easier if my regular ticket reps would of put in that detail a week ago.

Don't like shipping season tickets back before opening day or not having the tickets in my hand. But, I guess I should have faith in will call. :eek:

13. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK seriously, where the heck is Brad at? I've tried calling him as well about a different matter and got no answer. Crewfighter, overnight your tickets (2nd day at USPS) but send them out today. Will call has always worked fine for me in the past, if that helps you feel any better... just have your ID with you.

As for the tailgate, my impression was we'd be in the corner of the paved lot, but I haven't heard anything to confirm this. I don't want to just set up camp there and then have the parking security come yell at us since we don't have the right passes to be in that lot or something.

14. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll need to set up some people as the tailgate crew. I know it will be difficult tailgating weather on Saturday.

My sense is that many of the founding members of 103 will be going the TK route pregame.

15. krs-two

krs-two Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Columbus
    Shame to hear that. I realize that it's certainly not ideal weather, but I'm really looking forward to the tailgate. Call me crazy, but tailgating just adds to the whole gameday experience for me. Besides, I've tailgated in far worse weather for Steeler games.

Anyways, I'll be there probably by 4:00, if not a little bit earlier. Afterall, it is Crewsmas and you've got to do the tailgate right. I'm just wondering if a shirtless Santa Wittler may show up again this year!!

16. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just be on the lookout for these imposters

[​IMG]

Especially that kwanzaa bot, don't let him hand out a booklet to you

[​IMG]

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a set spot for tailgating?

And how come we can't sell enough tickets for the group rate? Come on folks. This sort of stuff is going to turn me off if it continues to happen.

18. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was expecting to have three people tag along w/ me from Cincy, but two cancelled on accunt of "Weather."

SUCKS.

I am really considering tailgating under the trees. I don't get why we wouldn't. Its an established spot. It's shady, it's not on concrete and we can all park around there with no questions asked.

19. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehh. I just did regular mail. I told them I had to have this back in Columbus by Friday or Saturday at noon games not till 7. It took like two days for my tickets to get to me in the mail I figure it will take 2 days for the Crew to get them back.

They better sort it out. It's starting to get slightly annoying. I talked to Brad eight days ago and he made it sound like I was in 103 no problem and if my dad was coming with me just call him up and I can get a seat right beside him. When I got my season tickets Thursday still in 107. I called him last Friday and called the first ticket guy I talked to. Got neither, sent them emails, and called them both earlier today. Not trying to be annoying but they need to get back from there "20 quick tips for marketing ticket sales" national ticket sales conference and get back into the office.

So today I just call the regular office. Finally get someone. I was just like, "hey give me a extra ticket in 107 and then he said nope filled up the closest your going to get is if he sits 15 rows back." Not like 107 is really going to be packed on Saturday. And then I gave him the whole spiel about 103 to 107 to 103 to 107 and he told me to ship the tickets back and hopefully they are there for me in willcall. I'm sure they have me in their computer so they will figure it out. Hopefully.

Surprisingly my dad is still all for it. I think it's because it's a chance to get away from mom and on the way back we always stop at a bar close to the border and get wasted. Should be an interesting day.

20. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus is expecting cold and snowy weather leading up to game day. I'm expecting the grass lot to be it's usual frightful mess on Saturday.

Zak seemed dead set on having the tailgate in the VIP lot and using a tent for shade. What happened there?

Now I read about a pre-game bash at Tommy Keegan's? How will this change things, and what is the latest word on Crew Brew, which I assumed Brook was bringing down?

I did see this little tidbit in the Crew News email:
    Crew Pre-Game Party at Tommy Keegan's
    The new supporters group in section 103 is putting on a "Crewsmas Eve" party on Friday, April 6th from 6-9pm at Tommy Keegans in the Brewery District. Crew GM Mark McCullers and Head Coach Sigi Schmid are scheduled to appear. We'll have Crew highlights running all Happy Hour long. Come out and paint the town Black and Gold.

21. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    The parking situation is going to be an interesting one, and I really think if things with the group get further along then parking passes of some sort will be needed. In any case I'd strongly recommend we all commit to the paved lot plan for the tailgate on Opening Day. This waivering back and forth over the tailgate spot is only going to confuse things more just 2 days out. If in fact the turnout is paltry, whether it be from the Tommy Keegan's plan or by people just not tailgating then the issue of the spot can be debated again later.

So is everyone okay with the paved lot in front of CCS on the SW Corner? See you all there.:D

22. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with the paved lot. How early do we have to get there to beat the parking attendants?

Also, if we are going with the paved lot, perhaps once the tailgate gets established, we can swing a deal with the office for a discount on parking passes to the preferred parking that is directly across the road from the paved lot. That way, we're close to where we'd need to set up, have parking that won't be a mudpit, and it is more cost beneficial for everyone (Crew don't give up lots of premium parking, just mid-grade parking to the folks that organize the tailgates, and those folks don't have to pay so much for parking, etc).

23. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't a bad thought, to try and get discount passes into the south preferred lot once things really get started. From the north side of that lot to the south side of the VIP lot isn't a long way to move stuff.

As it stands right now, a spot in the VIP lot is $10, a spot in either preferred lot is $8, and general parking is $7. If we're able to secure discounted parking into the preferred lot, then we can do away the idea of having a load/unload zone on the east-west road dividing the two lots.

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looked at thecrew.com - still, the only really have anything about 1 supporters group - when you click on supporter's groups on the fans page, it links you to a v-armonline.com site that is no longer there. yay. someone get on that to have it link to crewunion.com, it shouldn't be THAT hard.

(and I don't know why they got rid of the legion04 link...)

edit: crap, now i see the legion04 link. weird. I don't know what page I was on that didn't show it, but when you clicked on the supporter's club link it takes you to a dead v-army page...

25. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fear of internet preditors