Uniform updates?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by socal lurker, Mar 5, 2020.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s really not been that frequent all things considered. And this most recent change was desperately needed. The new uniforms are an astronomic leap forward in comfort.

RefIADad repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Agree. the change to modern fabric was huge--I think the current black is cooler on a hot day than the old gold was.

RefIADad and voiceoflg repped this.
  3. Brian M

Brian M New Member

None
    United States
    Mar 17, 2020
    Been a referee for 7 years. I have worn my blue jersey maybe three times. Black jersey, same. It’s always yellow , green , or red(most rare of three). It’s all related to team colors and referees only having yellow and/or green. It’s rare for me to see any orange teams in state or the ones that come out of state for GLC. Same with purple. I would love a bright orange or purple jersey. We’d get to wear those more often as well. Just my thoughts.

4. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have loved to see an OSI grey (like Savi) but I am worried it might just look like a really worn out black. One thing I have found though is that the new NISOA shirts are noticeably lighter than the new USSF shirts. So wherever we’re going in comfort, it seems to be getting better. Although, my brother did tell me he thought it looked like someone ran over my arms with a tractor on my college shirts.

5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that blue, red, and black are the least used shirts. Blue and red are the least used because those are more popular colors for teams to use. Black doesn't get worn as much because who wants to wear a black shirt on a hot summer day. I am not sure if a purple shirt would get use, especially with the abundance of team's with blue jerseys. Purple is just too similar to blue. Years ago, I did a game with one blue team against a purple team. It was pretty hard keeping track of the game with the similar jerseys!

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    On fields with spectators on the touchline, black is also the hardest for the R to pick out the AR at a glance, as it blends in more with spectators. I don't like using black unless fans are up in bleachers (or at the one tournament I do that makes the parents all stay on the non-AR half of the touchline!).

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah and try picking out your ARs or dual partner in black on some poorly lit HS stadium pitches on a dark night. The old red and blue weren't so great for that either. That's part of the reason it used to make me so crazy that they wouldn't let us wear the green; it was the least bad alternative to yellow in that respect.

Rufusabc repped this.
  8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I wear black when soloing. Makes me feel important. :x3:

i have worn all 5 colors once at a tournament where it rained buckets off and on.

I usually don’t care, but the higher level you are doing, you have to take care against the ‘keepers kits. Lot’s of orange out there, and the dominant color of a big local club is green.

voiceoflg and Law5 repped this.
  9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I read this as "I have worn all 5 colors at once at a tournament where it rained buckets off and on," thinking "Dang, musta been really cold too."

roby and Law5 repped this.
  10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    great one. It was actually unbelievably hot and humid.

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wore two different color jerseys in a DIII college game once during a heavy downpour. In the first half, we wore orange but were soaked by halftime. Since it had stopped raining and we didn’t conflict with either team, we switched to dry yellow for the second half.

IASocFan and swoot repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope OSI keeps this style for a while. I actually like it. It's probably my second-favorite uniform set behind the Nike set. I just wish we had pink and light gray instead of red and yellow or green. I'm also OK with the sock style. Since I know those of us at the grassroots level can't wear colored socks, the only sock style I'd prefer over the current style is just solid black with no white whatsoever (If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of simplicity).

fischietto repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually saw the same thing in an Argentina First Division match I saw back in 2000. It was a really warm day, and the crew came out in long-sleeved green jerseys with the black shoulders. For the second half, they came out in short-sleeved yellow.

14. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I think it would be nice to have navy shorts/socks like one of the older adidas kits had (2010-2014 timeframe I think?)

can you tell I’m getting bored ?!

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then all those people that like to wear black leggings when it gets below 75 F will have to find Navy ones. :sneaky:

swoot repped this.
  16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm gonna put my yellow jersey on and go run around in the yard and blow my whistle. No socks.

[/cabinfever]

SccrDon, Kit, fischietto and 2 others repped this.
  17. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always thought it would look good to have the USSF logo colored in on the New Jersey’s. It would fit well with the updated fluorescent and bright colors IMO. The 1 and 2 stripe socks are fine, the 3 stripe aren’t awful but are definitely my least favorite. I think a plain black like adidas or even just a plain black with the OSI logo would look nice.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please at least wear shorts, though. :)

Kit, roby, Gary V and 3 others repped this.
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Huh. I was thinking the other way would be better to encourage social distancing ... :barefoot:

IASocFan and RefIADad repped this.
  20. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    I have often wondered why white isn't in the offering. White shirt, white shorts would contrast a lot with some of the color arrangements I've seen among teams on the field.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #46 RefIADad, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    That's where my lighter gray idea comes into play. My son's basketball team has worn gray as its non-white color the last two seasons. They have worn the gray 90% of the time. Their gray is really close to the color shown below, but maybe a bit darker. They've worn gray against basically every other color, including white and black uniforms.

We could wear a color like this Ohio State jersey in a lot of different situations. I know some teams are starting to move to gray instead of white for a light-colored jersey, but if we kept yellow and black we'd likely avoid a lot of conflicts since I don't see a lot of gray vs black matchups.

[​IMG]

22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Don't forget your mask! :eek:

[​IMG]

23. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I really wish we had a neon color (as we do for HS in NJ)

we could cut down to neon, black, and I guess we’d still need a third.

24. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Sorry if this has been mentioned ... but EPL circa 2012 had a referee kit this color I think

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan repped this.