Uniform updates?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by socal lurker, Mar 5, 2020.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Curious if anyone has heard any rumblings about plans for the next style change.

I like what we have now and would love to have them leave well enough alone. Is the best guess they will be revised in 2021?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming we're talking about OSI. I haven't heard anything but then again I'm not at the level where I'd be hearing the rumors.

3. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most recent one for OSI was 2016, and the one before that was 2008, so I assume we’ll have these for 8-10 years.

SA14mars and frankieboylampard repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2008 revamp was really just a tweak, too. It was an important cosmetic tweak that was definitely noticeable. But in the end it was pinstripes to wider stripes. Not exactly revolutionary.

I actually would expect it is quite a while until you see a new revamp for a number of factors. First, OSI said it spent a lot of time listening to referee input on the current iteration. For them to listen and then junk something a few years later without much justification could backfire.

Second, the design is relatively simple and straightforward so barring some random desire for something more complicated, I’m not sure where they would go right now. This sort of dovetails with where Adidas has been since 2014–simple styles are in (Nike, too). We are in an era of simplicity, relatively speaking. This isn’t the 1990s or 2000s.

Third, remember OSI had MLS for awhile in the 2000s decade. Today, where are people seeing their kits? There’s no place to really advertise the brand in a major way and make a new kit seem cool or desirable (like OSI did, say; with the introduction of blue and then green, which was the start of the revamp).

The latest change from OSI was sellable because it was beneficial to referees from the perspective that the fabric is better. OSI sort of started using more modern technology for its product. Until there is some major upgrade in performance wear that OSI can cost-effectively rollout, I just don’t see a reason for a change from anyone’s perspective. OSI seems more focused right now on increasing its sales of other products.

IASocFan and GearRef repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Oh please. If I have to buy more jerseys I think I'll retire.

But a new sock design ...

6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    USSF referee uniforms are not up to OSI. Certainly, they and, probably, the National Referee Committee, can have input but the decision is made by the USSF National Board of Directors.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the earliest mention I saw of the last uniform update was in the minutes of a Ussf AGM so that’s probably the first place us lesser beings will see mention.

8. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Yes! I still have some with the white tops. They may need the help of a rubber band to stay up, but they look great!

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll trade you my smiley socks. Only worn once.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Jesus. I hope not. We still have some clowns showing up in old shirts.

Yes, I chastise them for not updating.

11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have one crusty old ref who periodically wears an old yellow on solo adult matches. He ramps up the look by not tucking it in. Every other ref in the area yells at him to tuck it in. I’m pretty sure he’s doing it to get a rise out of us.

djmtxref repped this.
  12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Old? How old? Solid orange?

In the days of the solid black shirts, with white collars and cuffs, they would age into brown. I worked with one guy who's shirt had gone past brown into almost silver.

13. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    "But, honey, it's just getting comfortable. "

voiceoflg repped this.
  14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the older red would age into a sort of salmon color. And the gold practically became translucent.

15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In New York, we use the NISOA uniform for high school soccer. A couple years ago when the old grid uniforms were still in use, I did a dual system game with a partner who had taken the high school class the same time that I did in 1999. However, you could tell that he only bought one referee jersey and never replaced it. First, it was a long sleeve jersey on a hot day, and he just pushed up his sleeves. Also, the checkered pattern had really started to fade. The yellow parts of the jersey were a noticeably dull and the parts that were supposed to be black were actually brown.

This did convince me of one thing. While I am not advocating frequent changes in the styles of referee jerseys, people should get new ones every so often to maintain a "professional" appearance. The jerseys are not designed to last forever.

IASocFan repped this.
  16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Queue comment saying that: “it doesn’t matter how I look if I call the game people want.” :rolleyes:

IASocFan repped this.
  17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Of course, player uniforms are a wear item also. I don't remember the change, but when we made a change to the high school player uniforms, we got complaints that we were forcing them to spend all that money to buy new uniforms. (Sound familiar?) I reminded the schools that uniforms are a wear item and nobody wants to wear the socks that somebody else wore last year, even if they were cleaned. That seemed to put a stop to the complaining. I might note that I get inquiries from schools about whether this particular new uniform is high school legal just about every month of the year.

Nike, Adidas, et al. have either a two year or three year cycle for uniforms. (Nike is two, Adidas is three, I don't know about the others.) It forces the clubs to change uniforms that often as well, because you can't get another one of the old style uniforms for the new kid who just joined the team this year. And don't get me started on warm ups. So we're actually lucky that we don't have that short a cycle for uniforms.

18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, which makes it all the more annoying when it’s the guy wearing a uniform from 20 years ago that complains about when the new ones come out.

Law5 repped this.
  19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah, just the past two different styles, pinstripes, and thicker stripes.

1. Why would you want to wear those old styles when the new ones are much more comfortable and breathable.

2. Its embarrassing to be on a crew when a team comes from out of our region and one of our members (especially if they are the CR) are wearing the old shirts. You've already lost the benefit of the doubt.

20. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone noticed in MLS games this year that the referee socks are matching their jerseys?

GearRef repped this.
  21. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was discussed briefly in the MLS Week 1 thread. Adidas didn’t make a new kit for 2020, and as MassRef pointed out it was a result of them losing the contract with UEFA, so they will probably be going on a 4 year cycle now. PRO/MLS most likely wanted to change something about the referee kits so this was the best option. Much better than what Ligue 1 used to do: shirt, shorts and socks ALL the same color! Looked pretty ridiculous.

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But that is the traditional look . . . in black . . .

23. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    For me, heaven will be a ref uniform that never fades, and a perpetually full pot of coffee.

Both all black, all the time.

JeffG repped this.
  24. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And what's the hottest temperature you've reffed in? :thumbsdown:

25. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not mind when we got rid of the all-black uniforms back in the early 2000s for this very reason. Running around a field on a hot summer day in black was not fun. Of course, I didn't think that we would be changing styles so frequently.