Unified Pacific Islands team?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by wufc, May 27, 2007.

1. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, I'm a rugby newbie, I just got into this sport and I'm hoping to watch the World Cup for the first time this summer. So I'm not sure if this idea has been tossed around and shot down.

I just learned of the Pacific Islanders rugby union squad that has played in friendly tournaments, and although they've pretty much lost every single international match, the scores are very respectable. I just think that Tonga, Fiji, and Samoa are going to find it harder to compete against the big boys as rugby becomes bigger worldwide, as they are already minnows in the World Cups. I was just thinking that if the Pacific Islands entered as one team, it could be a very competitive team that would help those nations. Plus, you might gain added talent from nations like the Cook Islands and Papau New Guinea.

I mean, where would be Caribbean nations be without the West Indies cricket team? Many of the sport's legends would likely have been lost if those nations competed on their own. Plus, their team pretty much pushed the sport of cricket worldwide, especially in the 70s-80s. I don't know, this is just a floating thought that I had.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Tonga, Fiji and Samoa would be a lot stronger if all their eligible players elected to play for them.

3. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    The Pacific Island team is kinda like the British and Irish Lions team.

And the players just prefere playing for their home island than a collective group.

4. toulousain

toulousain Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Toulouse, France
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    These national teams have a strong rugby history and rivalry. It would be a pity if they disappeared.

5. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Spot on, they have a great rivalry and hate each others guys in a friendly way.:D

I don't think any of their respective national governing bodies would agree to it...