Unified Football Team?

Discussion in 'Korea' started by cosmicbutthairs, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    JoGuk Tong il

Whats your thoughts? Good idea bad idea?

I personally think its a good idea for 2010. Its just too damn of a short notice. :D

2. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Too late for 2006.
    But 2010 maybe. Then again hopefully by then they won't be sending spies over, cutting holes in the DMZ fence, etc.

3. meron

meron New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    ny
    I'm not for it. That's like holding friendly sports events or partnerships with Sudan.

4. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
  5. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    I dunno... how do you work it? 50% of the squad are South Korean, 50% North Korean?

Or would it end up like the fabled "British" team where all but two players (Ryan Giggs and Neil Lennon) would be English - ie a Korean team would be mostly South Korean... the North wouldn't like that too much ;)

6. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    No unified teams ...

Wish for both Koreas to advance to double your pleasure :)

7. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    That would be something. How much chances folks here give to NK? Not much known for this team...maybe that's the biggest strength for now.

8. huang88

huang88 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    NO!! NEVER EVER DEVER will that happen...North Korea will be jealous about our player better than theirs and it will create tension.

9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I personally don't think it's a bad idea only under the following circumstances:

1. The North/South won't pressure the coaches or complain about the number of players chosen from each side to be on the final eleven/squad.

2. Political neutrality from the Korean conservatives and liberals/progressives - meaning they should shut the hell up about the issue.

Other than that I think this could create positive competition and a chance for the players to reinforce their mindset. And about the issue of which country is better - we can only compare players under only one set of standards and critiques - meaning an evaluation of a player and the useage of that player is up to the coach, not the fans. We don't know anything about North Korean football and if you claim you do, then you're a friggen liar.

10. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    The key is that their best came to the K-League and never even made the bench.
    I don't think this will ever find political neutrality simply because of how controversial it is.
    Also, why add more fuel to Kim Jong-il's propaganda machine?

Whenever we interact with the state, whenever we engage in dialogue or play a football match we are communicating with Kim Jong-il, not the North Korean people.

11. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    i for one dont want it to see a unified team

no real reason, just don't want to see them noths play together and if we ever lose, they will bitch and moan and blame us.

although it would be interesting to see some south korean players to be cut and see how they take it and if it would motivate them to become better

12. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Personally I think it's a stupid, rotten idea that furthers Kim Dae-jung's nation wide brainwashing.

13. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
  14. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't agree, as NK's not as good as good as SK; and since the unified team will feature 50:50 in terms of players selected from both countries it would mean the weakened strength of the team, in terms of both the quality of the players and team-work.

Besides, if we do get a unified team then there's no need for both NK and SK to participate in the final qualifying rounds, which mean that there'll be place available for another country in the final 8 - and I'm guessing that country is most likely to be China.

15. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    I seriously doubt that a unified Korea team will be fielded, even if both sides qualify for Germany. When the spokesperson of the KFA stated that they'd look into once an official proposal is submitted, it a polite method of saying, "uh...no." Granted, a unified team is great for inter-Korean relations, but bad for the up comming world cup. If the two Korean teams become one after both qualify, that creates a new spot. Who does it go to? One could say, that everyone behind the lower ranked Korea would move up one spot. So, whoever that team is gets to go to the finals in Germany by default? That's crap. And who's to say that another team, from another footballing body isn't more deserving of the spot, say another African, European, or South American team? And more qualification games would, presumably, be needed to be played to statisfy fans on gets to go.

Plus, I'd love to see the two Koreas both in Germany. There, South Korea can show the world that reaching the quarters weren't a fluke, that they are a side with talent. And North Korea can do their own thing. Who knows...World Cup '66 again? Maybe the Italians, or another giant of football, can go down to another Korean team. In my opinion, that would be f***king incredible. It is my humble opinion, that successful world cup campaigns of both sides would do just as well as an unified team in bringing the two Koreas together.

16. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    If the NK players played on the same team with the SK players there would probably be tons of NK monitors making sure that their players aren't talking to the SK players about anything except how great Kim Jong Il is

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I don't see the advantage for SK. NK doesn't exactly add much to the team.

18. meron

meron New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    ny
    This is just another political chesspiece for quasi-communists and NK spy pawns entrenched in SK politics and society at large.

Millions of koreans starved to death, killed, totured, living miserable lives oppressed, repressed by a despotic, nuclear regime and made to be the top delinquent nation in the world and we want to field a soccer team with them???

wtf???

19. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    This is a shame! Politicians are trying to use soccer to their means. Let's face it. NK & Korea have been two separate nations over 50 years. Other than the fact that we are both Koreans, there is very little common thing between NK and Korea now. Kim dynasty made sure of that.

20. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    rkim and meron, I agree with both of you.
    I think it's criminal how nicely the majority of the Korean public nowadays sees Kim Jong-il. And how they just dismiss his faults as the North Koreans are "just" starving. It is ridiculous.
    This is what I mean when I say forget about all this focusing energy against America, we got bigger and more immidiate problems right at home to deal with. It's what I tell Europeans too.
    America, as any other country will continue to make mistakes.
    The same applies to us. What's more important? The fact that a lot of American kids have lousy geographical knowledge? Or that we're treating a mass murderer as a celebrity and that this attitude could give us a severe disadvantage if a war were to ever erupt?

Forget North Korea.
    Brothers don't cut holes in the DMZ fence.
    Brothers don't send over commandos to kill our people.
    Brothers don't send gunboats over to shoot up our own guys because we're doing well in the World Cup.

Personally, I was pissed that the Taegukgi was not flying in the opening ceremony of the Olympics. F*** that white flag with a blue map of the Korean peninsular on it.

21. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    What? If that's true, they know nothing about Kim JJong Il.

This guy is another version of Saddam Hussein (or Uday Hussain, his son). The only difference betwee Kim & Hussain is that Kim's dyansty was a lot smarter in brainwashing North Koreans.

They also played USA, Korea, and Japan like a puppet with threat of military conflict they can cause. I truely think they are bluffing like Saddam was and it is about time we call that bluff. No dictator who enjoys all the freaking luxary there is available in the world wants to lose their power.

I get the sense that too many younger Korean generations are naive about what North Korea is about and are being played by Korean politicians who often uses Unification theme to gain/remain in political power.

Ok, I ranted enough. I am typically a mild manner person whose philsophy is live and let live. But NK political BS gets to me. I've lost two uncles in Korean war: they were 14 & 16 year volunteer SK soliders who were killed by NKs. Damn shame.

22. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    yes, Rkim, it's our politicians who use the whole thing (because it sounds nice) to stay in power.
    And our younger generation's stupidity and ignorance that's helping them.
    But bulls*** doesn't last forever. Once the truth is realized (hopefull not too late) there's going to be some serious conflict.
    Kim Dae-jung should have died on that boat years ago.

23. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    In early 1980s, I've attended one of Kim DJ's crony's talk at Berkeley. Base on what the crony described Kim DJ as, I felt he was too old fashioned, egotistic, and selfish to lead Korea in 20th century. I was right.

Anyway, I do my best to ignore Korean politics because it depresses me to see their ruining/hindering Korea's progress.

24. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Nice game of patty cake. By the way, I don't agree with the statement that North Korea sent its "best" and could not make it in the K-League. The North Korean in question is a Jaeil Kyopo whose affiliation was with the pro-NK group, thus had NK passport.

The future of Korea will/should be decided by the citizens of both sides, thankfully, not at the whims of just you two.

25. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    The future of Korea doesn't just rest in what Koreans think. Of course what the North Korean people think will never be a real factor. Their leaders thoughts are "their thoughts."
    It will involve (whether we like it or not), China, America and to a lesser extent, Japan as well as us.