Uncg 4 - Jack 2

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by UNCGSOCCER, Aug 26, 2006.

1. UNCGSOCCER

UNCGSOCCER New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Uncg won their home opener against Jacksonville but the game was a lot closer than the actual score. UNCG was down All-American Randi Patterson due to a red card recieved in the last years NCAA tournament game and up until the last 15 minutes his absense showed. UNCG went 2-1 down on a questionable PK call 5 minutes into the second half......from then on, UNCG dominated play and eventually tied up the score on a PK scored by Mike Richardson with 15 minutes left on the clock. Greensboro finished the game off with a goal from Henning Jonasson and Mike Fitzgerald, making it his second of the match. Overall Jacksonville was a bit better than I anticipated but even at that the game should not have been that close. UNCG's Yokull Elizabetarson is as technically sound as any player in college ball and proved to be the difference maker in the midfield. Hopefully we can get another win against stetson on sunday......go G!

2. futbolisgood

futbolisgood New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    The Spartans showed a great deal of character to come from behind in the final minutes as they did last night. As mentioned before, they should never have been in the position in the first place, but they did do a good job of fighting back to safely win the match.

I thought that the first 20 minutes or so were brilliantly played by UNCG. They had several chances that should have been put away, including an amazing effort off of a free kick by Jokull Elisabetarson that hit off the post. If they had put any of these three or four chances away, would have been a stroll in the park from there. But, as they have tended to do over the last couple of years, they let Jacksonville hang around and eventually paid for it.

I thought Richardson had one heck of a game out left, certainly the man of the match. I'll agree that Jokull may well be one of the most composed players on the ball I've seen in quite some time. His vision is miles ahead of the rest and his skill on the ball is pretty special, as well. Stetson on Sunday afternoon, we'll see how that one goes. Should be another win for the Spartans.

By the way...anyone know what's going on with sophomore Thomas Campbell? As a constant member of the first 11 last year, he didn't play against Duke last week or last night. Is he injured?...grade issues? Just seeing if anyone knew, as he would certainly be a key component to their success this season.

3. futbolisgood

futbolisgood New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    And also, to UNCGSOCCER, not trying to be an ass here, but try not to include the scores in your posts. Its a small chance that anyone will be watching the games on tv, but there's still a chance. I'm new at this too, but I'm fairly certain its a "rule" for BigSoccer to not include the scoreline (or any indicators of the score) in the post's title. Just trying to help out a fellow Spartan, as I'm sure we are hard to come by on this site.

4. Skin

Skin New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    There are at least 3 :)

Last night's game could have gone either way. Glad we got a win!

5. UNCGSOCCER

UNCGSOCCER New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    My mistake on the scoreline....I saw other titles with scores so I assumed it was a normal thing......anyways back to soccer......Thomas Campbell has been sidelined and ruled ineligible due to a mistake made with his schooling....from what I understand he should be back on the field next week. UNCG could most certainly use Campbell on the right mid because in my opinion thats our weakest position.

I thought Mike Richardson had an excellent game and stepped up big on the PK.....also right back DJ McCurry had a notible performance as the defense looked better than they did against DUKE but still not as solid as they need to be. Mike Fitzgarald and Henning Jonasson also did a great job of holding the ball up and finding feet.....and with the addition of Randi Patterson against Stetson it can only get better!