UNC v. Maryland [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Caravaggio, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Caravaggio

Caravaggio New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    UNC 1:0 UMD

Ashe 69' -- Maryland players claimed offside, but I was no where near the play to say for sure. However, the goal came from a good sequence between Watson, Storey, and Ashe. They gave UMd fits when they manged to put the passes together.

It was a pretty even match. Thompson put one off the crossbar with a free kick with about 15 minutes left, but that really was UMd's best chance to equalize.

UNC remains unbeaten at home.

2. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    So my 2-1(OT) prediction for a Heels win was not too far off...this was a great game. Both teams showed that they have great quality. From the beginning Maryland made it evident that they don't have a weak player on the field. With a 3-5-2 alignment, they were able to win balls in the midfield consistently, but didn't do much going forward. Played a lot of kick and run after it. They did have a great sequence in the box about halfway into the 1st half and could have easily scored had it not been for UNC frosh keeper Hughes(who had a monster game in nets...why didn't Ford Williams play?) Yet, at the end of the 1st half UNC's quick forwards began to wreak havoc on the 3 Maryland defenders. Every time Storey touched the ball he was dangerous, playing several great balls, including one to Watson in the 1st half that resulted in a left footed shot that Palmer did well to save. At half, Maryland looked to be the more complete team, but UNC had the more dangerous chances. Interesting note--UNC made no subs in the 1st half while Terps made 2 or 3.

The 2nd half started at a slower pace for the first few minutes. About halfway through the 2nd, UNC began to cause some fits again, with Storey at the crux of every attack. Storey made a run down the left side, beating Stammler and another defender with speed, got off a good left footed shot that was headed for the corner before Palmer made a great save, and an even better save on Watson's goal-line follow up. Goal came with about 20 left, as Storey "megged" a defender with a pass at midfield to Watson. Watson carried the ball foward to the top of the box when all of a sudden Storey storms up from behind, takes the ball, plays ball to Ashe in the box to split the D, and Ashe clinically finishes past MD goalkeeper. A great goal that was completely seamless. Looked almost like a 3 man weave...MD fans and Goodson argued for offsides--it was close but looked to be even. Thompson put an incredible free kick from 25' right onto the cross bar...Hughes had no chance at saving it. Other than that, MD had few chances in the last few minutes as UNC smartly cleared and saved the lead.

A few notes:

--UNC back four of McGinty, Porter, Merritt, and Fumo were solid, and let few attacks get through. Smart move by Elmar to put the experience in the back and let the kids get goals.

--Michael Harrington has enough moves for the whole team, and then some. He is pure magic on the ball and can make people miss even in tight situations... a pleasure to watch.

--Note to Clarence Goodson: quit diving and betraying the spirit of the game. He jumped up in the air grabbing his ankle and screaming on a Storey tackle right after the goal...when the ref didn't make any move toward the card he got up without any limp at all. Then, he gets tackled by Watson, jumps up at Watson is walking away and pushes Watson in the back, causing ref to give both players yellow cards. Goodson--you're too good of a player to resort to these cheap antics.

--Marcus Storey proved to all the doubters(and there are plenty) that he is one special player. Today's game was proof that you don't have to score goals to make an impact on the field. His playmaking a passing have improved IMMMENSELY since freshman year, and his speed is unbelievable. Watson, Ashe and Storey are beginning to develop the chemistry needed for future success.

--Sumed is a special player, though he got lost at times during the 2nd half. Also, Stammler did well in the back.

--A big win for UNC, improving to 2-1 in the ACC. Like him or hate him, Elmar has done a great job of getting the most out of this extremely young team. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the year and tournament time goes. Maryland will be a force in the postseason, as they just have too much talent on the field for most teams.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Maryland was the better team for most of the match, but give credit where credit is due...and UNC picks up a well deserved win. I thought the Terps were unlucky not be leading 2-0 at the half, with several good chances they could not convert in the half. Maryland owned the midfield in the half, and the game for that matter, but possession doesn't always translate to goals.

On Ashe's goal, UNC countered and for the only time in the game, they got 3 or 4 guys going forward, and they basically ran past Maryland's defense. Nice goal by Ashe...well struck...Palmer had no chance....upper 90.

Carolina really has speed up front with Ashe, Storey and Watson. All those guys made some really good runs today, stretching out the Terps defense, and frankly, I think Maryland tired in the second half. It seemed like the Terps were a bit flat starting the second half. UNC grabbed the momentum and their fast guys really turned the game around. It seemed like Maryland couldn't believe the game was still tied 0-0, had a momentary lapse in concentration, and then Carolina pounced on them.

You have to credit UNC's back four in this match...they really played well. Fumo had a nice game at left back.
    Merritt and Porter played well also. UNC did a nice job of not letting Thompson turn when he got the ball with his back to the goal. Garrey was having a nice game, but had to leave in the second half due to an injury.

4. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Well this sucks, although I guess it's not too surprising an outcome. Sounds like it was a good game from both sides, which is all you can really ask for. Hopefully we can get a rematch in the ACC tournament, when the teams will be on a neutral (or more meutral) field. Oh well, if there was a time to lose a game, its now rather than in the tournament when it really matters. I wouldn't want to be Georgetown right now, since I think Maryland will come out with a chip on their shoulders Wednesday.

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Maryland was not the same team today, as they were against Duke. In the Duke game, Maryland just throttled the Devils and dominated for 70 of the 90 minutes.

Today, Maryland dominated the opening half, but then they seemed to go into a "lull" in the second half. Momentum swings happen all the time in soccer, and Carolina took advantage of it. You have to really like UNC's speed up top...however, Maryland could have done a much better job holding possession in the second half. If they held the ball they way they did in the first 45 minutes, the Terps certainly would have won the match.

6. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    a hearty congratulations to UNC-CH on their surprising win against UMD. The ACC table gets more interesting each week and the folks that like to bash Bolowich will be quiet until the next game. For the folks at UMD, this defeat is probably the inspiration that the team needs to take them deeper into the NCAAs, as I believe they are still one of the strongest teams in the country, if not the strongest. Consider it only a hiccup and a little dent in your pride. I do believe you will come back stronger (but show some pity on UVA) 8^}

7. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Goodsen's dives

Cantona24 You are right on here. I have seen too many of those theatrical dives. I am only surprised more people don't comment. Like i said in the pre game post, Sandon was going to report after watching the tape of the UCLA game where Goodsen did the exact same things you saw. Where is Terp Fan?

8. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Besides the one sequence in the box I described in the report, and one shot by Sumed, Maryland had no other chances in the first half. They were the better team for the first 20 minutes, but the end of the 1st half saw two even teams.

UNC showed grit and determination...a real character test for them. It will be even more interesting to see how Maryland reacts to the loss...my guess is they will refocus and win out the rest of the games on their schedule.

9. packman5

packman5 New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    i'll certainly second that! we see the same behavior over & over again. what a hot-headed, low-class punk! embarrasses his teammates, and himself, and doesn't even know it!

10. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    packman5,
    your comments are uncalled for and way over the top. Clarence Goodson is not any of the things that you say he is; he does not have a record of collecting yellow & red cards, and he doesn't resort to dirty play like some players I could name, starting with McKinley of UCLA who kicked him in the nuts last year in the Final Four.

11. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Is Ashe going to come out after his freshman year? From what i heard, he could be the next DMB.

12. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Concerning the comments about Goodson...I think during yesterday's match he was frustrated, when he shoved the Carolina player....but there really wasn't much to it. I think people are blowing it out of proportion. Did he do a little acting job after getting fouled at one point? Sure...but so what...I see some of the best academy award performances in the pros all the time.

I saw some serious acting out of the UNC players also, but that's just part of the game.

Maybe the most shocking event of all, after UNC scored, Elmar the Ego actually got off the bench, and CLAPPED!
    A real display of emotion!! Stop the presses.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a very good win for UNC and also reaffirms that the ACC is more balanced than some had suggested it was this year.

This also shows Maryland that as good as they are, one good team can knock them off their game and they need to bring it in every night and for 90 minutes. If they want to be holding a trophy in December, they can't afford games like this.

I'm happy to see Storey do well. I've been one of his supporters for some time so its nice to see him make an impact in a big game.

As for Goodson, he is animated but I don't think he's a dirty player. I do think that he is tough to miss, what with him being 6-4, with long red hair and his bandana so I think we watch him a lot and we notice the crap he does. But, I don't think its any more than the crap other players do. I actually think that for being a big player and a central defender, he commits a fairly low number of fouls.

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    and also....

Well lots of people had lots of thoughts on the game yesterday, some fair, some totally lacking any fact base and quite a few through either red or blue glasses. Here's my take.

I thought UMD played a good Carolina team that was fired up to play the #1 team at home. Carolina played well and to their abilities. They are quick, little and weak. UMd allowed them the use their quick without punishing them for being little and weak. Maryland allowed them to turn and face too many times when they should have been up their butts and pushing them off the ball more often.
    There were a number of calls that were questionable but I assume my red glasses could have been out of focus. The takedown of Garey at the six looked like a PK and the UNC goal looked offsides but neither were called so that's that.
    I was amzed at how many balls were called shots. It seemed every cross was called a shot, balls that were blocked at the shooters foot were shots and long clearances that the GK's fair caught were also shots. I think each team probably had maybe three real chances to score in this game.

Speaking of scoring opportunities, yesterday was just a continuation of Maryland's woes on attack. They have played four rank opponents and have only scored 3 goals, fortunately they have only conceded one. In fact UMD has been involved in 6 one goals games this season so we haven't exactly been killing everyone.

I think a few of the comments about Goodson are a little unfair and not too balanced. The "dive" was on the sideline, if it was a dive, and there no advantage to either team. Storey took a dive in the box that he was carded for and I don't hear any of the blue people throwing rocks at him. If you're going to talk about Goodson don't froget to mention he totally dominanted the air in this game if we are going to be balanced in these game assessments. Those who think he's dirty player need to see a few more UMD games. I know his coach would love him to be more physical with that whole 165 pounds soaking wet.

I think Scotty Buete said it best, we will file this and remember it for future games. It's only October so there's still a long season ahead.

I think we will see a change in one or two attacking positions for the Georgetown game. I know Sasho wasn't happy with the play up top.

Last, although there were 3000 plus at the game there wasn't much atmosphere. I don't say that to knock Carolina, I think the stadium set up which is much like Wake and UVA has the fans too far from the action and everyone in one location. It would be nice to have more seating like UMD where it's 360 degrees around the pitch. I wonder it the players knew we were there?

15. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    My knock on Goodson had nothing to do with him being a quality player or not...he is excellent in the air and is also dangerous going forward. Yet, his dive on the sidelines, while not a deciding factor in the game, represented nothing good and was classless. Storey came in hard and didn't even touch Goodson...yet Clarence somehow jumped 2 feet in the air, twisting in agony, grabbing his ankle and screaming as if he had broken his leg. It would have been one thing if Storey had given him a good knock, but it wasn't even close. Just because a lot of professional players embellish stuff, it doesn't make it right, especially when there was no apparent reason(other than frustration, for Goodson to fake).

In regards to the missed PK call...you're on the money. It should have been a penalty, but the ref didn't call it...I guess it was UNC's lucky day.

16. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Sandon and Goodson

Here is an example of Sandon's BS that he expects everyone will buy because he is a prolific poster; "I actually think for being a big player and a central defender, he commits a fairly low number of fouls". Goodson just sat out a game due to yellow card accumulation. He repeatedly fouls, hacks, crys, and acts. Sandon thinks because he is 6'3", he is more noticeable. You guys eat this crap up because he pretends to know something. He called me out in an earlier post, and that was another mistake this "punk" made. Sandon would look worse than Don Zimmer coming at me, But you can be sure he does not have the nads that Zimmer does. Why dosen't anyone else call this "punk" when he makes up crap on every other post?