UNC - Trip to Texas [R] Sept. 13, 15

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks, U-90!

Thanks, U-90. Good report. You could consider switching jobs to become a sportswriter.

No mention of Annie Felts. Was she on the field? And was EB playing on the back line? Any comments on Lori Chalupny? She must have been tearing it up. The box at the Texas site that PJB linked only had four subs for us. Is that correct?

Thanks.

2. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas

3. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas

4. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks you guys

SDM, I would REALLY like to get rid of that Newbie thing after my name!! Thanks for the encouragement.

It has been great reading posts by GoatBoy and Upper 90 on this match, since the articles tend to be very one dimensional. Upper90, in particular, I enjoyed the way you set the mood before you launch into your recap...too bad they started without you! hehe

I was wondering about Fletcher's absence, but you say it was medical, and it sounds like you have reliable sources. Hope it's nothing serious, since she adds so much in the back (which, btw, I would not describe as "thin" given the considerable development by Watley, in particular, and the addition of Ball--even without Steadman and Fletcher). Hope Susan Bush was able to play--I forgot to check the box score to see if she got any minutes. It must be nervewracking in muddy conditions to decide whether or not to risk yet another season-ending injury...but Texas IS her stomping ground, after all.

Take care guys! Any of you going to be at Duke this weekend? I'll be there!

5. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    A big part of it was the UNC midfield did a good job of tracking back to defend (at top speed). Sara Randolph was one of the big reasons Kelly Wilson was stymied. As soon as Kelly received the ball, there would be nowhere to go with it.

It wasn't quite the sea of burnt orange I had hoped for, but I was impressed that so many people hung around in the rain when it looked probable that the game would be called off.

I will post my game report in the Longhorns thread shortly.

6. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    My recap

Defense:

On friday night the backline of Gaston, Reddick, and Ball absolutly dominated Texas A&M. The only real scoring chances where late in the game when Leslie played temporary keeper and head the ball out of a sure goal, and Carmen's big mistake which allowed the goal.

On sunday, it was a completly different back line. Leslie played the worst game of her career allowing two goals, and Carmen played a signicant amount in the back and was beaten several time and had to use her speed and Reddick to recover.

Midfield:

On Friday, Maggie didn't start which I believe is a major mistake. Other than that and the lack of Jordan Walker in the mid field nothing else really stood out to me.

On Sunday, pretty much the same deal except Maggie was back.

Forward:

Both games, Tarpley is the real deal. Ramsy and Ball played real well up front and really dominated at times.

Overall I think Anson has a lot of work to do in several areas...

The freshman need to stop just playing the ball to nowhere. Yes it would be great to switch or go up the line but if no one is making that run, it stops the attack.

The starting back line of Reddick, Gaston, Ball has one goal allowed in 4 games when they are all in. The line of Reddick, Gaston, Watley has 5 goals in 4 games. I am thinking that there is really no choice on the long term starters in the back.

7. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Thanks for the write-ups!!

8. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Re: My recap

Something else to factor in when trying to anticipate our strongest back line is the return of Kendall Fletcher, another freshman and a regular defender on that U-19 team. I must say that I'm shocked to hear that Leslie Gaston had a bad game. I'll have to see it to believe it. Maybe she was injured or ill.

Thanks for that interesting and helpful post.

9. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Fletcher's health may be a long term concern. From what I hear.

10. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    You wrote: On sunday, it was a completly different back line. Leslie played the worst game of her career allowing two goals, and Carmen played a signicant amount in the back and was beaten several time and had to use her speed and Reddick to recover.

I disagree on your comments for the following reasons. While I missed the first goal ( see my rainsoaked taco quest posted above) I saw the second. While it was not clear to me if Ali called Leslie off the ball or if she was trying to dummy the ball or just flat out missed it, what was clear to me is that the ball bounced over the head of a 6 foot keeper and rolled into the back of the net. She therefore was off her line and either called Leslie off or should have ( else she should have been on her line). I lay that goal on the keeper.

Now Carmen drew the assignment of marking Kelly Wilson much of the afternoon. What a nightmare. She is very very fast and was a starter on the u-19 nats for a reason. Carmen did get beat some, but if she hadn't she could stake claim that somebody should be giving her an opportunity with the u-21s. Her speed helped her recover and I will point you to Goatboy's comments, she bottled Kelly up rather well sometime with help from Sara Randolph. i think you did not see EB there for a reason. EB is slow and would have struggled to do much with Kelly.

11. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    The goal was mainly and miss communication between the keeper and Leslie. The keeper was caught in no man's land where she was helpless to stop it. Overall a bad play by everyone involved.

Kelly Wilson's speed didn't really impress me, of course that could be because Whatly is just as fast and it wasn't evident.

Overall I feel comfortable to say that Whatly will hold her own during the ACC tournament, when Reddick is with the National Team.