UNC Thread 2004-2005

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Heeligan2, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    We were asked to start a new thread because our old one has exceeded the maximum recommended length.

2. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Just a quick quote from the UNC website:

Carolina started Kendall Fletcher, Amy Steadman and Jessica Maxwell on defense and Aly Winget played all 90 minutes in goal and recorded one save. The UNC defense did not allow a shot in the second half of play.

Emphasis on the last sentence of course. Trooper if you are right and that s/b a ranked team, wow. And these three have played together rarely previously. Amy was hurt and Kendall sat some and pulled a lot of d mid duty last year. Maxwell has been away in China and missed virtually all preseason. Just think when they get used to each other.

And my apology for missing the new and improved thread initially!

3. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Who were the UNC fans seating on the east side of the field? Did Neb. give a head count for the game, never have stands been on both sides of pitch. And were the Neb fans rude to you?

4. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Well I listened from the comfort of my living room thanks to the wonders of internet radio broadcasts. I had to call the Huskers radio guy and tell him the internet broadcast was hooked up but had no sound but he scrambled around for a second and then it came in loud and clear. No rudeness allowed in my living room and no cheering for anyone not in Carolina blue either!!!

Head count per radio announcer was 3600 +/-. Less than 2002 with Heels but they did acknowledge bringing in more stands for this game.

5. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Re: UNC Thread 2004

Nikki Baker had 3 or 4 chances to shoot the ball in the 2nd half. She's just the type of forward that likes to dribble the ball into the goal.

6. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Does anybody know if the team has chosen its captain or captains for the new season yet?

I've been wondering what the new uniform numbers would be, but I've found the answer to that over on the TarHeelBlue site. 2004 team roster.

I noticed that Robyn Gayle is on the roster and will be wearing #55 whenever she makes her first appearance.

7. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Anne Felts has been named captain for this year. I believe the team may elect another captain once everyone is back and gets their vote(s) counted. Hooray for Feltsie.

8. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Just wanted to note, if you have a dish or live in Florida and can pick up Sunshine Network, the UNC-Florida match will be televised live next Friday night at 7pm.

9. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004

Thanks Upper90, with Feltsie hurt, KW, carried the load and did just what the team needed.

10. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks, U90, and congratulations to The Feltser. I'm sure that all the numerous members of the AFFC are as delighted as I am to learn this. A stellar player and a wonderful young woman.

:) :) :)

11. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Thanks for starting a new thread, Heeligan2. The preceeding UNC thread was:
    UNC Thread 2004

12. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Here is Cornbread's game review from the old thread:

13. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    We will be playing Cal (also known as UC-Berkeley) at 11am CT this morning. I went over to look at their website to see what I could learn. They weren't in the NCAAs last year but have high hopes of getting back this year. We know they're good enough to beat Creighton, 3-0, but that's not very helpful info to me. Is anyone else here knowledgeable about these teams?

Cal soccer page.

14. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal has a very young team this year-no seniors. Lots of potential once they settle in to playing together. 3 midfielders and goalie with youth national team experience. It is their youth and inexperience at the college level that will be hard for them to overcome this year. They had a very good recruiting class this year and I've heard next years class will be good as well. The future looks bright.

15. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  16. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You beat me to this by minutes. Obviously both of us were hanging on the relevant soccer pages. Two goals for Jaime, two for Kacey according to the Cal site; three for Jaime, one for Kacey on the UNC site. I want to hear MORE!

Here's the box score from the Cal site.

17. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Aly gave up one goal and Lancaster the second. Can't wait to see the team next Friday!

18. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  19. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    This was a very interesting game to watch. UNC scores early, Gilbert, then the game slowed and at the 16min Anson inserts #1, and the energy level increased yet the score did'nt. Several players appeared to run out of gas, and the fouls on Lori continue, with no cards same crew as Fri. Cal held on to half time to be 1-0. Gilbert strikes again in the 2nd,early, yet the confusion in the back increased thus Cal got a goal and MO. They started to take control of the game pushing #'s up and getting shots. On a counter Lori finds Gilbert who gets dragged down in the box, thus KW drills the PK. Then Anson starts subing, everywhere. Maxwell is hurt so Kendall goes to center and I still can't figure out who was playing what. KW was on the back line and one of the Freshmen, Airel I think, lost or looked at a ball off a corner that was headed in, and Anson goes back to Aly in the goal. The mid was gone and balls were being launched with no purpose. But maybe this game will sort out the line-up for comming games. Gilbert is all 1v1 and dose'nt yet understand passing, plus will need to get fit to last, and play more "D". I still trying to figure out what really happened in this game

20. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks, Cornbread. Wouldn't it be great if Dorrance would have a press conference after every game and somebody like TarHeelBlue would pass his remarks on to the public? Or even better, if they gave him a TV show like the football and basketball coaches have and he could show film and tell us what's happening.

Ah yes, dream on.

21. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Nebraska Tourney

Well, I just got in from Lincoln. They had internet there, but it was pricey, so I waited to make a few comments after everyone else weighed in.

The Tarheels did dominate Nebraska, Tropper Bari has it right. With that sea of red in the stands, it is alittle easy to look thru rose colored glasses if you are a Husker fan. Nebraska came out with a 4 forward front and tried the pressure defense the first half. They also had a brisk Nebraska breeze at their backs. The tarheels passed beautifully and the Huskers just ran themselves into the ground chasing the ball. UNC was very unlucky with 3 shots off the post and a Kacey White rocket that was a back save. It hit the defender in the legs knocking head over "Heels" and somehow didn't go in. Lori was fabulous, really playing well, her speed was awesome. I was also impressed by Ariel Harris, who did a great job filling in on defense. Very fast and quite composed. Jaime Gilbert is a little rough around the edges, but reminds me of a certain Train. It was great to see Laura Winslow back, she played well at outside midfield. Amy Steadman made a triumphant return, playing well on the back line. I was nervous about this game as Nebraska is always tough and had a great crowd there. The changes in defense worried me too but 1 SOG and 3 shots overall spoke for themselves.

Today the team looked tired. Jaime Gilbert was the story with 3 goals, the first on a race to the ball against the keeper which she won and chipped in under/over the diving keeper. The third was a gorgeous cross by Annie Morrell, incurving, right to her head and in. She also set up the PK by being hauled down in the box. She really reminded me of Train today.

Overall, it was a good start, two victories and the defense did its job. There were a lot of wasted chances on offense, but youth up top will do that. Watch out, Tarps and Heather are back tomorrow night, and the walking wounded are "Heeling".

See you Heeligans next weekend.

22. Dostoyevsky

Dostoyevsky New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Omnipresent
    Re: UNC Thread 2004

That will come in handy when they do away with sudden victory overtime and bring back the NASL shootout in college soccer.

23. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    By the way, the time for Friday's game against Florida has apparently been changed to 7:30. Doesn't matter much for the early birds....should be another incredible season. Thanks for the commentary on the first two games in Neb.

24. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That's right. It's at 7:30 because FoxSportsSouth is televising it.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Tarpley and O'Reilly back in Chapel Hill? If so, will they get 20-30 minutes of pt on Friday or get a week or so of rest/integration into the team? My guess would be that they wouldn't play Friday but that is a blind guess.