UNC Tar Heels Post-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Heeligan2, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Let's talk about this:

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks, Heeligan2, and thanks to jbs1 who is definitely our man for provocative questions.

Here’s my own contribution to the matter of things going wrong on a team that coulda been, shouldda been, another championship team, or so we fans can't help believing.

We missed Alyssa Ramsey, first and foremost. Her height, strength, skills, and consistent serving on corner kicks were terrible losses to our team or any other team at any time. And the Train could finish! (She was never the national POY but I’d like to retire her number anyway.)

The second thing I’d identify is another loss, the loss of those three great defenders, Cat Reddick, Maggie Tomecka, and Carmen Watley. Now believe me, I really love our new back line, they’re great, but with this trio to blend in with Jess and Kendall, we could have gone unscored upon, I'd bet you anything. Things were never quite settled back there on the defensive end of the field this season, except for #4 and #24.

For all the individual brilliance among the players I’ve just named, there is also the matter of experience. Of course I know that seniors will graduate every year and our job as fans is just to get over it, but our inexperience showed often enough both on the front line and with our back four.

Of course, I’m always happier when I am considering things going right rather than things going wrong. And I thought this 2003 team was just as good as its record suggests – 20-1-2. And besides, just wait until NEXT YEAR!

3. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i thought our two biggest problems (if you can call anything about this team a big problem) were our height and our finishing. we consistently spotted our opponents with three or four inches, which was tough, especially in midfield (though lori played like she was about 6'6"). if you look at last year's totals, we only allowed two or three more goals over the course of the season, but we scored dozens less. that was the big difference. it hurt quite a bit that tarp was out for so much of the season, but i think next year we'll be fine. jaime has such a sweet shot and as soon as she refines her play up top she'll be ridiculous instead of just great. also libby up front seemed to be working pretty well, so it'll be fun to hopefully see her up there all year next year. the only positions where we lose starters are up top and at left mid, so i think next year's team will be one of the best ever, particularly with the addition of some of the new recruits.

4. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    I agree with all that and would just add that we didn't quite jell as a team with the injuries and national team play changing our lineups. Height (lack of) certainly contributed to our low percentage of converting corner kicks. Finally, I always wonder about why we take so many long shots that seem like just easy lobs to the goalie, turning over possession.

Oh, and speaking of turning over possession, those offsides problems really need to be fixed. We did better in the NCAA tournament in that regard, but the 15 offsides in the game against Virginia (I think) still amaze me.

We have much to look forward to next year! Dorrance works with his team all year round so they should continue to develop and jell as a unit. When is our first Spring exhibition game!? ;)

5. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    With the entire NCAA wanting UNC out of the Final-4, and every school dreaming of the day they can beat UNC, not to mention going to any and every extreme to win, the swagger is alive and well in Chapel Hill. After reading some of the articles about how teams prepare for the Tarheels it's clear only a true "Dynasty", commands that kind of attention. Expect the NCAA to stack the deck again but with a far different result. AD has some things to workout in the mid more so than the back line. But most of all the girls will just need to stay focus and finish. Another 27-0-0 season is just ahead. The kids talk about playing on the edge, and after watching ND and UCLA, my hat is off to Anson and crew for giving us the excitement women's soccer needs. Shot out in championship games reminds me of all the intentional walks to Barry Bonds, not what I paid for. The trolls will be in full effect from now till August 26th. So go HEELS #19 is just a year away.

6. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Can't believe I'm going to stoop to this level or dignify this with a response, but it's too much fun, I can't resist . . .

Not every school has to dream. It happened this season, deal with it. In fact, it usually does happen at least once a year. That's why the 2003 season was so special for the Heels.

? ? ? What are you talking about?

Stack the deck against who? Didn't happen to UNC this season. They were the unfortunate team who had to play against a wrongly seeded Santa Clara team. If the NCAA wanted to stack the deck against UNC, they would have seen teams like VCU and Duke (as Virginia did) in the first two rounds, not Campbell and William and Mary.

To me is sounds as if Cornbread really fears the Broncos. Thats the only conclusion based on his reference to facing Campbell, William & Mary, and Santa Clara all at HOME as having the deck stacked against you!

7. echo7

echo7 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    SW Michigan
    Is the "Dynasty" in decline? After winning 13 of the first 14 Championships, UNC has won only 5 of the last 10. Two of the last three finals did not include UNC.
    Just food for thought.

I think parity is here.

8. beenaround

beenaround New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Its all in your definition of parity.Didn't UNC go though another unbeaten season?The cold hard facts are they didn't finish their chances,which were many.It happens,but never to UNC in a game that really counted.Can you say Kara Lang???????or Ashland Harris??? A healty Tarp ........I like their chances.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    USSOCCR, you are right. UNC still had to beat everyone to be champs again no matter what round. I like North Carolina and I don't want to trash the team or their fans but Carolina fans, some of you guys need to learn how to give other teams their props. I personally would have liked to see UNC in the final four but I also thought the games last weekend were great. I also heard some fans in the stands say it was actually refreshing not to see UNC in the Final Four.
    Cornbread1 obviously feels that UNC should always be the star of the show and everyone else is just fluff, to be beat up on by the Tarheels. Or maybe UNC should just be given a BYE all the way up to the finals. UNC will win again and they will be beaten again by teams that are better then they are that day.
    I wish people would stop insinuating that the Final Four had been cheapened in some way by North Carolina not being there. The weekend at SAS soccer field was great, the four teams that made it were good and any of them could have beaten UNC on any given day. Give them their due!

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2004 NCAA Womens National Soccer Champs.

10. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    So a NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal game against Santa Clara is not a game that really counts???

I can, and I know their real names (Ashlyn Harris, not Ashland). The Heels will be good next year, and for many years to come they will still carry the bullseye as the team to beat.
    Many of the posters on this thread are intelligent and know the game of soccer, and in particular the women's college game, really well and are capable of good analysis. There are a few however, well, let's just say that their Tar Heel Blue glasses are so darkly tinted that reality appears very distorted.

11. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    And if you were'nt on a UNC thread, were would you be ...nowhere. Talk about me it's ok I'm old and country and have no clue about soccer, but 18 National Championships burns you up and a whole lot of others, and as long it dose I'll keep bumping your head with the truth. The only team that is worth talking about, and causes the most upset people is Tarheels and I love it. All you smart people can't play a flat back three... sounds like I know soccer hold it let me ask my ten year old how many titles Santa Clara has...Dad one, oh is that a school where you will want to go they don't even have a football team...no Dad they play it safe and I like the Edge, plus Mia is my favorite #9. And as any true fan I find only the good in every game and care less about the remarks of the fans of the other team. In all of college soccer there is no experience like the Tarheel team. It's the greatest show in college today, and I love throwing it up in some folks face. My ten year old said "don't feed the trolls Dad", this food will make a belly hurt. Will anybody want to bet against the "Dynasty" call me.

12. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va

are you serious? listen to yourself. only five of the last ten? how many schools have won five in the history of the ncaa championships? and youre saying that because we've only won five in the last ten years parity is here? hahaha, that makes me laugh out loud. how many teams finished the regular season undefeated? are you kidding me? as long as anson is here, the dynasty will live on

13. echo7

echo7 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    SW Michigan
    Actually the only thing that matters is the present. Who are The National Champions. Wait, let me ask my eleven year old... Dad The Fightin' Irish from Notre Dame. :p

14. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    It scares me that you have children.

15. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Re: Woofin'

This thread was started, I think, for those of us who are interested in thinking about how UNC played this past season, how it might have played, how we may be able to play in the future with personnel we have or new ones coming in, etc.

I don't think it was started to continue the woofin' about UNC or other teams. If people want to woof, maybe they could thake it somewhere else. To be sure they had a place, I started a "UNC Woofin" thread. That should be a good place for it. But please don't do it here.

16. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, I've been outta town for a little while, so catchin' up takes some time. And if you know me you know I like a little dustup with the UNC folks myself. (Just ask Klee!) Most of the time it's all in good fun, but this time, whoa - you've made me more than a little angry with this one Cornbread - "The only team that is worth talking about, and causes the most upset people is Tarheels and I love it." Tell me please it was all in fun! 'Cause if not you just made yourself look awful bad! Your cute little country bumkin persona falls flat. You wanna play some flat back three, get yourself some bifocals first. It's obvious you can't see the forest for the trees.

17. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    well done mia. you are a hero to us all