UNC Tar Heels 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Ronald Rocha

Ronald Rocha New Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Oct 14, 2017
    I had to laugh when on a late free kick he forgot to step off the 10 paces leaving the UCLA wall with a look of great confusion and requiring Wubbon-Moy to pace it off for him.

2. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Like I said earlier, DAMN SHAME!

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too, I've never seen anything like it. It was hysterical.

Heeligan2 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Hysterical indeed! And what is even more remarkable are some of its details. The ref indeed got distracted after he spotted the ball, and then trotted off to his position to monitor the scrum. Noting this unusual ref behavior, Wubben-Moy immediately commenced to resolutely pace off the 10 yards and then invited the UCLA wall of two to come a yard closer as she had determined that they were 11 yards from the ball. There seemed to be some good will and conversation at this point which was right after UCLA had tied the game. I thoroughly enjoyed this interaction while I was laughing.

cpthomas and HeadSpun repped this.
  5. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Agree that UCLA looked like the better team for much of the game, especially in the second half as the scoreboard showed (2-1 UCLA in that half).
    There were times in the second half when unc looked sort of casual in their play. No urgency. Maybe some were playing for a draw .
    I predicted some weeks back on this forum that they would win the title. I still think they can. But their second half play vs UCLA will not beat Stanford.
    I was surprised that Georgetown beat duke so handily. Still, I think unc wil beat them and then turn the early season OT loss to Stanford around the other way in the final.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  6. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UCLA had a free kick from basically the same spot a bit later and the ref walked that off. Weird.

I have not seen (maybe I missed it) discussion about the 3 possible pk’s Unc could have had in the first half. AK getting clobbered ....understand the defender got ball but is there some point even so where the contact can be so excessive as to still merit a foul? Then the two hand balls. Second looked worst than first. Having no replays available made this hard.

7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #357 Soccerhunter, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    First let me clearly say that the observations below are just that -observations. Mud slinging and whining are not appropriate. UCLA and UNC deserve praise for a good game played hard. Sportsmanship on both sides was evident.

1. When good teams play hard there are bound to be incidents that fans of one side or the other will see as egregious. Smile! It is part of the sport. (Note that Anson sat calmly in his chair right though the whole game, only standing up to confer with assistant coaches or players or to praise players coming off when subbed out.) Fans (and on some teams, assistant coaches) are the ones who get exercised about foul calls or non calls.)

2. The referee was pretty consistent with his "non calls" in the box. In retrospect he clearly was NOT going to award a PK perhaps unless knives and guns were used in the box and resulted in death.:eek: Some refs are like that --they do not want to risk being accused of influencing the outcome of the game. That most other referees would have called the three events that fans here are questioning is simply irrelevant. Sure, everyone would like all refereeing be exactly the same, flawless, and consistent. But until robot referees are invented and perfected, we get humans and they are part of the game.

3. The take down of Alex in the box was the first indication of how this referee was going to call sliding tackles from behind. (See the game video by WWC_movement at 18:35.) Yes, IMO it is true that 9 out of 10 refs would have probably whistled a foul and some would pull out a red card besides because, if it was a foul at all, it clearly met all of the (4) requirements of a classic DOGSO (Law 12) situation for everyone to see.. but this ref would demonstrate consistently for the rest of the game that he did not consider this even to be a foul. He clearly was of the school of thought that if you get the ball, legs are just collateral damage. Sooo... with this said, please note that none of the UNC players argued or complained to the ref and the benches across the field were quiet as far as I could hear (at least after the fan shouting died down.) This is to say that the players and coaching staff have a better understanding of the referee factor than the we fans do. (An understatement!;))

4. Non calls on handballs (in the box or otherwise) can be explained by a judgment of the referee that the handling was not intentional. Fans clearly think otherwise by having become accustomed to other refs that call handballs essentially any time the ball contacts the forearm or hand. But remember, the ref has to decide that the handling was intentional to call a foul. That said look at the first handball in the box at 35:00 on WWC's video and you see a shot coming from Rachel Jones with a slight upward trajectory clearly flagged down by Mace's extended left forearm but it bounced back to Rachel for another try at her cross. Although I did not see a signal to play on, the ref could have treated this as an advantage call, was unintentional, or it fell under his policy of "NO PKs in an important game."

5. The second handball in the box a minute and a half later (see 36:37 on WWC's video) was on a similar play where Rachel Dowart kicks a cross from the left toward the goal and as the ball passes out of view of the camera behind Rodriquez's waist, it dramatically changes its direction by 90 degrees and bounces down to the ground and up field where Rachel races to intercept it. The ref was in a better position to see this than we fans, but here again, there was a no call and it may be that the ref's decision was once again based on the same three factors as mentioned above: unintentional in his judgement, call the advantage rule, or his policy of "NO PKs in an important game."

So I personally accept that this was an unusual referee who calls these kinds of things very differently that we fans are used to. He sees things differently than many other referees, but that's part of soccer. The only thing that really surprises me is that since these incidents were early in the game, seemingly so obvious, and well in the box, with the referee well positioned to see them that I wonder if the UCLA staff did such an excellent job of scouting for this match that it included the predilections of the referee!:) (The UNC players did not catch on to the sliding-tackle-with-legs thing until late in the game when I saw one such tackle and a no call.) Is this an accepted west coast interpretation (or some other reason) and I am ignorant?

Remember, I am not complaining or impugning anyone (especially players and coaching staffs) ....just noting what can be seen and puzzling over the differences in referee interpretation of the rules as a possible response to uncchamps.

uncchamps2012, jbs01 and HeadSpun repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game on my computer, and it was a great game. I'm a complete neutral in terms of favoritism, I wanted both teams to win. I can understand some fans being unhappy about some of the calls, but I didn't see anything I thought was seriously different than what I've seen before. Some refs call things, some don't.

In terms of the quality of the game for a neutral fan to watch, I loved it. It was a true contrast in attacking styles. UCLA had a "control the ball in the attacking third, look for ways to get passes close in for shots." (I thought Ashley Sanchez was a critical part of their being able to play this way.) UNC clearly had the game plan of getting crosses into the box every time they remotely had a chance to get a cross, with plenty of players crashing the box constantly knowing that a cross was coming and creating havoc. It was a contrast of styles, each pretty well executed.

It was a shame it had to go to PKs, since that's pretty much a 50-50 proposition. Both are terrific and College Cup level teams.

HeadSpun, McSkillz and Heeligan2 repped this.
  9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a thread of gifs up on the Kimball tackle & all the subsequent shots for PK. Dorwart's cross went off the rump of the defender.

1066531455000608769 is not a valid tweet id

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Glad you have the advantage of slow motion and a clean hi def picture. On that 2nd "handball" I couldn't call it one way or the other other than to note that from what I could see that the fuzzy blob seemed to disappear at about waist level and then reappear after making a 90 degree angle turn and down. Your gif is excellent. (Glad it worked after all your button pushing.)

11. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Thanks a lot for this very thoughtful and informative post. Just one question- advantage. Are you saying that the ref could decide having the ball in the box is a greater advantage than a pk? Really?

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's always an interesting conversation about officials in big games. Where is the line between being too much of an influence and that of trying so hard to avoid being an influence that you ... become an influence.

for the most part I think the analysis of many on here that this official wanted to avoid making big calls is correct. However, he made an incredible number of bizarre calls & stopped play for no reason, including a moment right after UNC scored their first goal. While a UCLA direct ball was still trickling out of bounds for a UNC goal kick, the official aggressively ran up to Leshnak in what I could only assume was a warning not to waste time.

In probably one of the more bizarre stoppages, the official stopped a throw in to demand Hallie Mace exit by crossing the field instead of walking around & behind the goal. I don't know the rule about this being allowed or not, but I've never seen an official not allow it before.

Plenty of signals from this official that he wanted to avoid influencing the game, but also plenty of signals that he wanted everybody to know he was large, in charge, and not to be tested...

The only good thing I have to say about this official is that he was indeed willing to go to his pocket to give yellows. The UNC vs VT was a far more physical and testy affair than UNC vs UCLA, but that quarterfinal game actually ended with zero yellow cards issued which was utterly ridiculous.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Strange request to be posting on Big Soccer, but I am at wits end for tickets for Friday's games in Cary. Anyone with extras?

I got frustrated a month ago when they were off line on the day tried and tried to phone and only got recordings. I then got overly busy and had it in the back of my mind, but assumed, since they have never been sold out before there would still be a few tickets. But Murphy is alive and well and they have been sold out since Sunday and this time I've reached them on the phone and they confirm that there are none to be had with all 10,000 seats sold. ....

14. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Try the USYS National League teams. When my daughters participated in the USYS National League we would attend the Women's College Cup but could only go to the Semi Finals as we traveled on Sunday. So there may be tickets from them that are available and since the tickets are sold for ALL games then you should be able to at least attend the Final. I clicked on the U18 girls schedule and see that many teams are in Raleigh, Wilson etc for this weekend.

https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/2018-19-national-league-18u-girls-preview/

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the tip, Brian. I'm at work now but will explore this avenue tomorrow and let you know if I find and success..

16. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I missed out on tickets as well. With my luck I tried to get tickets Monday afternoon, missing the sell out by a few hours... I should have bought tickets immediately after UNC's win on Saturday.

I want to believe the College Cup sold-out for the right reasons, but I can't help but wonder at it given UNC could barely draw 900 fans for the game vs UCLA. This is not because of Koko booth stadium. They can continue to fill in the game with sitting areas to the side & standing room at the fence. Previously, the ACC championship weekend that featured UNC in both games never saw much more than 2000 tickets sold.

I'm worried NCFC & the Town of Cary have stuffed the seats one way or another with a lot of out of town folks leaving local fans out of luck.

17. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I keep seeing this as the ball hitting her gluteus maximus.

18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what I mean by "rump"

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heeligan2 repped this.
  20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Hey man, you are awesome, I appreciate all your commentary. Great fan. But I don’t get this idea that something untoward has happened with tickets. Of course they want to sell tickets and fill the stands. It’s nothing against adults vs families. I bought my tickets within minutes of he leshnak save to win it. If one of the four in my group doesn’t come , I’m emailing it you, gratis. But really, there’s nothing wrong here with them selling the tickets however they could. There’s nothing wrong with them filling the stands with players and families if that’s who buys the tickets first. And this is from someone who has watched many games alone in the stands including 2009 college cup in college station where unc beat Stanford in the final ( wouldn’t that be great on Sunday?). I used to buy college cup tickets as soon as they were available .You are a tremendous fan . Don’t get me wrong. I just see this one differently .

6peternorth9 repped this.
  21. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    when desperate enough, go stand outside the entrance 45 minutes or so before start, have a sign that says something like "need tickets," and i think you'll have a good chance of getting in. If you have a friend, get him/her to take the parking area and wander and call out your message.

Not the most dignified strategy, but i have had success doing such before and i would put your odds at better than 50-50!

Heeligan2 repped this.
  22. psublue

psublue New Member

FC Massachusetts
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Regarding talk on here of what Penn St. recruits were on this year's US U17WNT...Jordan Canniff, Payton Linnehan & Julia Dohle all were. Kate Wiesner who is ranked the #1 player for the 2019 Class tore her ACL or she would have gone to Uruguay also. According to TDS, Penn St. has the #1 ranked class for '19, with five players in the top 22 nationally. Nittany Lions will be loaded for next season with 7 starters back from their NCAA D1 Quarterfinals squad, 15 letter winners + will get Ally Schlegel back who had to take a medical redshirt after tearing her ACL before this season started. Schlegel was ranked as the #10 player by TDS in the 2018 class. Will be a RS Freshman next season.

23. psublue

psublue New Member

FC Massachusetts
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018

24. psublue

psublue New Member

FC Massachusetts
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    You understand that Penn State pulls in recruits from all over the world also...current Penn State frosh Kiim Dubs is from Zurich Switzerland, graduating senior Alina Ortega-Jurado is from Germany, Laura Friegang who turned Pro after her sophomore season (in Europe) was also from Germany. Raquel Rodriguez who was on the PSU 2015 NCAA National Championship team and won the MAC Hermann Trophy is from Costa Rica and on and on.....

25. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #375 WWC_Movement, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Watch Kealia Ohai and Crystal Dunn against Pitt in 2013 on YouTube.
    Just a little warm-up for the College Cup match against Georgetown.

And Ohai was highly buzzed in this photo.
    Have a few beers with her and ask her what happened, she'll tell you all about it.

[​IMG] .

UNC vs. Pitt: