UNC (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by cantona24, Sep 15, 2003.

1. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    So, I'll admit it. I was a little hesitant to talk big during the summer months and during the preseason about how my Tarheels would do this year. The prospect of ALL those freshmen combined with losing Pause, Stokes, Crawford, Testo, Kneipper, Gell, etc...I just didn't know if they would get results. Many on these boards have ripped into UNC in the past, especially Elmar for being an underachiever with the talent that he gets.

I'm not ready to proclaim dominance or even to say that we won't be 6th in the ACC (Clemson was 5th last year and was a pretty darn good team.) But here's to all those haters out there who said Carolina would tumble this year---5-0-1, and getting better as the year progresses.

The win over VCU today was, I think, a foreshadowing of things to come. UNC doesn't have the offensive firepower of the last couple years. The young guns from the U17's are very good, though some seem to be having a little trouble adjusting to the physical nature of the D-1 game(esp. Ashe). Yet, the Heels grinded and grinded, created a few chances, and then made the most of a free kick in OT to win. Another win, another good result...

For all the talk on the Furman boards about Allison's talent or lack thereof, Elmar has made some moves in the last couple of years that seem to be really smart. He has converted Tim Merritt, an attacking center mid, to a center back(a la Logan Pause a year ago.) Oh, I know Merritt played as a wing back a year ago, but he was a dangerous attacker coming through the youth ranks and is dangerous when he comes up for set pieces(Michigan game winner). One of the other backs is senior Sean McGinty, a former youth national teamer as a forward. You throw in Grant POrter and you have 3 guys from the 2001 championship team solidifying the back. By keeping the experience there, you gain stability and let the young guns have their way up top. Their mistakes there don't hurt as much and the brilliance that they are capable of is greatly rewarded.

As a final side note, Marcus Storey is answering critics left and right. He was magical on Friday night against Michigan. Today vs. VCU he seemed to get knocked up a bit, and was almost invisible for much of the 2nd half. Then the OT came and Marcus took over the game. Two nutmegs in a 2 minute span led to chances for UNC. IN all fairness, the one he pulled in the corner and then crosssed to Watson should have been finished and ended the game. But the 2nd one led to the attack that the free kick came from, and the rest is history. He has 5 goals, against teams like St. Johns, UConn, VCU...not exactly the walkovers that he used to score against. It remains to be seen how many he can put in against the ACC, but even without scoring he an absolutely take over the game. The kid can flat out fly, and has an incredible sense of flair. He's worth the price of admission(what other cliches can I throw in there?)

Well, it's been enough ranting for me for right now. Here's to a win in C-ville!!

2. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    ranting.....

for those that take the more conservative path in life, ranting is normally reserved for days when results are final for some time. In this case, that would be around mid-Dec. However, C, your info is appreciated, as well as the opportunity to take pot shots at you should UNC-CH stumble in the next few weeks.

It does appear that your defense is keeping the oppositions attackers away from pouring shots at a keeper that tends to get beat on chip shots and lower placed shots.

3. SurfsUp

SurfsUp New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    UNC brought in 16 players this season (14 freshmen and 2 transfers) I have seen a lot about the U17 National players Ashe, Harrington and Watson. How is the rest of this class contributing to the program so far?

4. how bout them heels

I have been a Tarheel fan and supporter of Elmar, guess that is a rare combo on this board, but was guilty as charged in figuring this would be a dreadful year for the heels. Guarded optimism at this time. I have gone on record that I felt Elmar was much better in the role of the hunter instead of the hunted. Let's see how they handled this impressive start and high national ranking.

5. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    UNC's new players

Here's a rundown through the first six matches of all sixteen new guys:

Michael Fortier - has not played
    Blake Beach - a few minutes in the NH 3-0 win
    Jamie Watson - came off bench in first two matches, started last four; 16 shots, 2 goals, 2 assists
    Justin Sorsabal - started first two matches, came off bench in third, hasn't played since
    Michael Harrington - started all six matches; 8 shots, 1 assist
    Lee Superville - has not played
    Wes Shull - started all six matches; 8 shots
    Andrew Rhea - started all six matches; 6 shots, 1 goal
    Corey Ashe - came off bench in five of six matches; 4 shots, 1 goal, 1 assist
    Casey Shandley - has not played
    David Boole - started first two matches, came off bench last four; 1 shot
    Bradley Darby - came off bench in UConn match
    Bryan O'Neal - has not played
    Justin Hughes - started first two matches; 1 goal against, 1 shutout, 9 saves
    Chris Showers - has not played
    Ted Odgers - came off bench first two matches, started last four; 3 shots, 1 goal

And here's my editorial comment on the non-nats who have made contributions so far:

Hughes - came up hughes (pun intended) while Williams was with the U20's and got the early key wins against St. Johns and UConn
    Shull - has been an iron man so far, starting all six matches and hasn't been off the field much (if at all)
    Sorsabal - looked solid in the back, but came off early in the second half of the UConn match and hasn't played much since
    Rhea - significant contributor in the midfield; has good speed and gets forward well; game winner against VCU
    Odgers - probably the biggest surprise of the new guys; has played very solid in the back; not great speed but positions himself well; ripped a goal from 25-30 against NH
    Boole - started up top until Watson got integrated into the system; contributes quality relief for either Storey or Watson

We'll see how the year progresses ... we're about a third of the way through the regular season, and they have yet to go on the road in an ACC match ... but the early reports are positive ... big match in C'ville this coming Saturday.

6. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    Re: UNC's new players

Wes - We from the Charlotte Soccer Club community are so proud and not surprised. This is a kid that has continually improved and plays a position that requires supporting talent to really show.

Justin - I thought Juice was making a statement of commitment to a good education vs a soccer career when he went to UNC 1 year behind Ford. Still not sure. Have reservations about both at the pro level, but I know there are top level D1 programs that can use Justin if he wants to transfer rather than sit behind Ford.

7. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information collegesoccerfan#1 it's much appreciated especially on the non nats. I played with Rhea at the community college he went to before UNC and its cool to see people talk about someone I know on bigsoccer.

8. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I had hoped my ranting and raving would bring out some of the infamous UNC haters that seem to lurk in the dark corners of the Men's College and Amateur Board.

For the poster who said I should wait until late December, when it really counts, to rant and rave...I agree. Though, a couple years ago when us UNC fans had every reason to gloat, there were some here who tried to displace the Carolina success and say it was luck. The program seems to be stable, and has established itself as a power, in the ACC and nationally. Yet, I know it can turn around the other way just as quickly...but while it is going strong, I'll enjoy the stay.

9. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Everyone knows that Bolowich is a soccer god and the greatest coach to ever coach soccer on the planet, and naturally he will win his second national championship this season!

In fact, I'm predicting that the Heels go undefeated this season.

10. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Oh, how great it is to have you back on the UNC boards, LDB. I was wondering if you had gone on to hate other teams.

While Elmar is indeed quite a coach, I don't think he's quite made it to deity status yet. And an undefeated season would be smashing...though I'm sure you could find some fault...the tie against Vermont being a good one thus far.

Anyways, I'm glad you're back and looking forward to some great verbal clashes as the season progresses. Go Heels!

11. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Just took a little hiatus. Unlike many BS posters, I do have to work for a living.

Hey, I'm just stating the obvious...Bolowich is pure genius, especially when it comes to recruiting. I'm sure the school has NOTHING to do with attracting good players. I mean REALLY, who would want to go to UNC, with one of the most beautiful college campuses in America, great looking co-eds, Franklin street, and the ACC. No, none of that has anything to do with it....it's simply Bolowich's extreme talent in getting these kids to attend Carolina. (except for his 2002 recruiting class which was abysmal. Guess Elmar was spending too much time on Franklin street himself that year.)

You can also see the pure genius in his coaching every game. What a tactician! Tell you what....if I was Sir Alex Ferguson, I'd be looking over my shoulder to make sure Bolowich wasn't there. I know he's german, but I think pretty certain he would take the Man U job, don't you?

I don't care about the Vermont game....just chalk that up to eating too many pancakes that morning with all that tasty, natural, vermont syrup.

The Heels will breeze through this ACC season. UVA is going down big on Sunday. I look for a 3-0 shutout. Maryland doesn't stand a chance. This Carolina team will go down in the record books like the 1974 Indiana basketball team....undefeated, and national champions.

Then next year, UNC can opt out of the ACC and join MLS. They can play in the SAS stadium, since there is no longer a WUSA in existence.

GO HEELS!

12. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Elmar rant

Welcome back Luv,
    Sounds like a good script for a Jim Rome call!

BTW, take it easy on that 2002 class! :)

13. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I should have specified...the 2002 class, with one exception.

I could be back on hiatus soon.

LDB

14. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    LDB...

Don't go on hiatus..without Fixxxer offering his vitriol, there's hardly any fun in writing on the boards right now.

15. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Well that's probably the nicest thing anyone has said about me....

Don't worry, I'm here. I'm just waiting on Jenagrantfan to make her comeback...

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I remember her - she was the one, among many, who told me I was wrong when I kept talking up Matt Crawford.

Funny, it sure looked like that was Crawford playing in MLS last night, while lots of the other players who got more ink have yet to play in the leauge and some, aren't even on an MLS roster.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crawford's a stud. He's got a great future IMHO.

18. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Yeah, she was the one that said UNC didn't have a target man up top. That was when Kneipper was there....Maybe we were too hard on her and ran her off...

19. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Crawford is overrated IMO...then again....all Carolina players are overrated IMO.

What's amazing to me...is that these UNC players manage to develop their game, while playing for Bolowich. That's a feat in itself.

20. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    ouch...

c24, i'm sure it was sweet, but it sure was short. ouch!!

21. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I knew it wouldn't last forever...and UNC hasn't won at UVa since the 70's. It's a long season, but the beginning has been better than anyone could have imagined. I'm not proclaiming that this year will end in a title, but UNC lost at UVa in 2001 as well.