UNC -- "Nike Classic" [R] Sept. 6,8

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Sep 5, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    To be absolutely consistent, I dislike it when the Duke fans do similar sorts of things. The "go to hell, Carolina" cheer at the end of a Duke-NC State basketball game totally annoys me. I can handle individual "fanatics" dispersed throughout the crowd--it happens at all events and is part of the atmosphere that makes rivalries so intense. I often like to sit within a crowd of opposing fans just to listen to them during the game. And, I enjoy creative group cheering in the course of the match.
    But denigrating "cheering" against someone you're not even playing seems silly when balanced against UNC's embarassment of riches that they can put on the field. And, I suppose that's the point. When Duke plays at UNC this year, I expect a lot of aggressive cheering and sometimes even the negative, spiteful stuff--it will be in the context of the match, enhances the rivalry, and will be fine. UNC is absolutely awesome and I expect a lot of lopsided contests this year. Kudos to the PA announcer for recognizing what was going on, saying something, and having it actually work.

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Embarrassment of riches

And then there's Lindsay Tarpley, another striker, as well. I think she's going to start. In fact, I'll bet you a beer she does. She was the captain and star of our U-19 NT. If we start Tarpley, Susan, and the Train, we could have three All-Americans on our front line.

As if all this were not enough, there's more on the way, you know. Four more of the nation's best young players have already given verbal commitments to show up next fall. Playmaking midfielder Libby Guess from Georgia and speed-demon defender Jessie Maxwell from Texas are coming and they would be a great haul, but we're also bringing in two of the best young players in the WORLD, National Team striker Heather O'Reilly of New Jersey and three-time Parade All-American Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris of Florida. And we shouldn't forget that NT vet and North Carolina native Amy Steadman will be coming back from her ACL repair.

3. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    N&O coverage

Here's the link to an article on one of this morning's local sports pages. There's a good picture of Annie Morrell brushing aside two Husky defenders who had hopes of denying her a shot on goal.

4. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    OK next up the Texas trip! First A&M on Friday and then UT on Sunday. I cant wait to see first hand this year's edition. Booked my shuttle for Sunday match. I try to report from Houston if I can find an internet connection if not it will have to wait until I return Sunday night.

UT stayed within one of Stanford and beat Cal. they also gave the Tarheels a tough outing last year before falling 1-0. It should be a great match.

5. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Hey, Upper, will you be at the A&M game Friday? I won't be able to make it, but I'll need a report!

I will be there Sunday. I'll be the one in burnt orange!

6. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Sorry Friday conflicts with the schedule but I may be able to get a report from an Aggie or two.

Burnt orange? you and the rest of the crowd!

7. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    apparently the scoring was changed and it is now credited to Jaime Carstensen (unassisted)