UNC News & Notes 777

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Heeligan2, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbbig_al

bbbig_al New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Heather and Nandi

Oh geez, I thought I was only goating a little bit about O'Reilly's nutmeg of Pryce, and then they go and make me feel bad about it when I hit the wrong button and accidentally found the Bruin/UNC thread. Darn those beautiful girls. Check out the note from BruinSpirit https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21929&goto=nextoldest
    and the subsequent link to the great pic of Heather and Nandi.

2. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Just watched the tape of the game. The first goal looked like goalie misjudgment as well.

Our team looked really great. Really great.

Heeligans -- at half time there was a brief shot of GoCourage's two big Train signs!

Also, after the third goal, there was a nice shot of Maggie's three friends cheering.

3. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    :D b-b-big al

Big Al: LOL! Thanks for the posts up above. Good posts.

No, we don't want to seem like we're enjoying the defeats of our opponents!

:D

4. Kicks2515

Kicks2515 New Member

Jan 5, 2001
    are their any pics of the game besides the yahoo ones? My TV is broken so until Monday when I get the tapes from the person taping for me I am lost so it would be great to see some pics!!

5. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Some pictures from the game are here:

http://www.nc-soccer.com/carolina2003/2003-12-05/

Asthetically one of my favorites (the elements of UNC soccer...):

http://www.nc-soccer.com/carolina2003/2003-12-05/23AE3957.jpg

A couple that match the AP photos ...

Heather O and Chalup...

http://www.nc-soccer.com/carolina2003/2003-12-05/23AE3902.jpg

Fletches' goal...

http://www.nc-soccer.com/carolina2003/2003-12-05/23AE3437.jpg

6. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    I second the nomination of Maggie as POTG.

7. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
  8. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TarHeelBlue: excellent coverage!

Nobody has posted this yet and it is worth checking out. Not only is there the usual recap and box score, but there is a play-by-play, a page of quotes from AD and some of the players, and some pretty good pictures too. I guess we have Dave Lohse to thank for putting all this online.

TarHeelBlue

Next to a video tape of the game and GoCourage's photos, I appreciate a play-by-play the most as a way of reminding myself of how we did it.

9. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Sizing up UConn

I'm posting this here rather than the Final four site, just because I think it's more interest to TarHeel fans than the general soccer fans.

UConn is 15-5-3, but is on a roll. In the tournament, they beat ranked Michigan 32nd and FSU 6th. During the season they beat Portland and Boston College, tied Washington, had a weak tie with Wake Forest early in the season, loses to Notre Dame, WV and Villanova, and weak losses to Miami and Hartford. The only two common opponents with UNC are WFU who we beat 6-0 and Washington; they tied both.

In the Albyn Jones, the 12/1/03 ratings are available. UNC has a powerrating of 2310 (1st) and UConn 1834 (18th).

It boils down to who wants it more in the national championship; watching the team yesterday, I think I know which team that is.

GoCourage's picture are great,even got me in there!
    See you famous Heeligans there!

10. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Don't be confused.

Those are great articles about the Heeligans and Train! Go Train!

The following is a little good-natured nit-picking regarding the Herald-Sun article and, especially, the caption on the front page.
    I love the headline.

The article says of Train,

"Her 69 assists are second in school history."

and...

"The MVP of the 2001 ACC Tournament ranks fifth in NCAA career assists and needs three more to tie Mia Hamm's career record (72)."

That's accurate but potentially misleading.

The caption under Train's picture on the front page is considerably more misleading...

"Alyssa Ramsey ranks fifth in NCAA career assists with 69 and is three away from Mia Hamm's record."
    Bzzt! Hold on a minute.

What Mia Hamm record?
    Her NCAA record?
    (the record mentioned in the first part of the sentence)

Certainly not!!

The caption doesn't actually say that Hamm has the NCAA record, but it certainly could be interpreted that way.

Don't be confused.

The NCAA Division I women's soccer record for career assists is:

129 Holly Manthei, Notre Dame, 1994-97

Mia Hamm's record of 72 is second.
    It's a UNC record but far from the NCAA record.

11. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Manthei's record

129 assists in four years? That is amazing! That should be included in lists of sports records that will probably never be broken, like Cy Young's total of over 500 victories in baseball and Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points in an NBA basketball game. I'm impressed! Not even Lindsay Tarpley will break that!

:)

12. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Stats don't mean much to me. The cream rose to the top and appeared with the NATS or in the WUSA. THe proof is in the pudding.

13. bbbig_al

bbbig_al New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    She'll be coming round the mountain

Here's a slo mo pic for Kicks 2515, who is without TV this weekend:
    I was sitting around the ten-yard line at the UCLA end when the first goal was scored. Train was serving the from corner on the opposite side of the field. Although the TV replays are from a similar camera angle, they don’t begin to show what a wickedly inswinging ball that really was. [Toot, toot :) ] I had thought she was going to score directly on similar previous corner kicks. The ball was so far out into the field that it pulled both the goalie and Nandi Pryce out too far, the wind then helping it swerve behind them both on the way to Kendall Fletcher’s waiting lap on the far post. She had run a great stunt to get there almost all alone. Fletch, obviously having studied Cat’s infamous “body” goal for the National Team on TV, along with all the rest of the civilized world, pushed it forward in a way that we shall have to start calling the Carolina Girl swing, scoring with perhaps even a little more gusto! (Sorry parents, but they’re you’rrrre girls! )
    But in the end it was the assist that made that goal. Again.

14. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Thanks Klee

I would never have seen this if you had not posted the link:

We thought we would go to four if we started to lose control of the match."

"Maxwell is a hell of a player and we wanted to get her back on the field. Getting her back on the field was also a part of that consideration"

Now you have to know what that means to me! Thanks again.

Oh yeah dispite being separated by a whole field, due to where NC State assigned the seats, I could hear the Heeligans!

15. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    canadian signing

hey guys-

i know it's busy times for UNC w/the finals tomorrow, but i just thought i would update and say that the rumblings of UNC signing a canadian recruit was correct, although it's not kara lang (well, at least not at this point)...u19er robyn gayle will be heading down to chapel hill.

not sure if this is old news or not, but thought i would post.

very versatile player, as i've seen her play lots in the summer.

elaine

16. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    canadian signing

Thanks, Elaine. You're great. I don't know much about Robyn at this point except that she's a defender from Mississauga, Ontario, and was a member of the Canadian U-19 team that lost to the US in the gold medal match of the FIFA U19 Women's World Championships in 2002. Kara Lang was also on that team and they were teammates on the Oakville SC up there in Ontario. This is great news. With Cat, Maggie, and Carmen all graduating, we need some defenders for sure! Anybody else know anything about our new recruit?

Here's a small picture of her.

Welcome, Robyn!!!

17. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    I hope that Robyn is fast! We need to replace the Carm somehow.

18. hbs3

hbs3 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    HOW GREAT ARE THE TAR HEELS

THE TAR HEEL'S ARE PERFECT!!!!!!! 27 AND 0. IT JUST DON'T GET NO BETTER!!!!!!
    WAY TO GO NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!

19. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    A HAPPY DAY AT SAS STADIUM

A wonderful day to be a Tar Heel fan. Our team looked great today, as they have been looking for weeks. No doubt as to who is the best team in the NCAA this year!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE HEELS!!!

20. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Many, Many Congrats to the Heels and their die-hard fans! :D Well done on an INCREDIBLE year- much deserved, long-fought :)!

A favor- is there anyone out there who would be so kind as to make a copy of the semis and final? Due to the snow on Friday, N VA was without decent ESPN2 ability (basically none) and today I had to work.... *sad-sad face*

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to all of your great stories.. next year I'll head down in person! *BIG grin!*

21. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Hats off to the seniors: Tomecka (5), Ramsey (12), Walker (16), Watley (26), and Reddick (31). We will miss you!!!! Thanks for the memories!!!!

22. Breakers_rule

Breakers_rule New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    In my house.
    Thanks to the Heeligans for allowing me to have a Train sign during the game. I was hoping for a closer game, but truth be told. I was very happy today, I enjoyed the match. i just felt bad for UConn.

23. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Our Team

Congratulations to the 2003 Tar Heels. You are solid gold!

We will miss Jordan, Mags, Carm, Cat, and -- of course -- the TRAIN!

Thank you to the entire team and to the coaches for a wonderful season. It has been loads of fun.

24. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC