UNC news and notes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    What a disaster! Where do we start? I'll start with the 2002 schedule (which is a bear).

Schedule Direct link not available.

2. southernsoccer

southernsoccer New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    NC All Star Game

I saw a story on signees Griffin, Black, and Hardman playing in the NC All-Star game last weekend. Anyone see the game that could rate their performance?

3. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    2002 recruits

Here's the story from Tar Heel Blue that gives some details on all eight of our recruits. It was posted back in February, soon after signing day.

2002 recruits

4. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    2003 recruits -- Jessie Maxwell

Hey, what do you know, I beat FearM9 with a link!

Here's an article in the Dallas paper on Jessica Maxwell, an AA defender in the class of 2003 who has given a verbal to UNC:

Link

5. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    from the schedule:

woohoo! we're playin Carolina this year! We'll probably get creamed, but it will be a great experience!

6. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Heels picked #1 in ACC for 2002 season

The Tar Heels were selected preseason favorites for the 2002 ACC Women's Soccer season in a poll completed by the league's eight coaches. The Tar Heels received 62 of a possible 64 points.

Link

The article talks a little about the returning starters, last season's results, etc., for UNC and their main competition (UVa and Clemson) but leaves the reader hungry for more. The result of the coaches' voting is interesting, but it's just another poll.

7. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    I'm seeing it, but I'm having trouble believing it. Guilford in the Nike "Classic" playing UNC, then Duke? Yes, Guilford (Div 3) is showing UNC on their schedule also. But, the Duke schedule shows Wofford in the Nike classic and the Wofford schedule shows them at Elon on the second day of the Nike classic.
    There's got to be a sad story in there somewhere, because if it's Guilford, it can't be good for any of the teams. Could it be that no one wants to come to UNC for a friendly match against UNC on Friday then Duke on Sunday? I can't believe this is a harbinger of the future where schools avoid tough matches to get the record they need for the NCAAs!!--there has to be a simpler explanation.

8. *Crazy_Chastain*

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, I dont know. One of my teammates told me about it out of the blue one day. I was really surprised, but kind of excited lol. Its probably us playin Duke on the 2nd day, they may have just messed it up. But if so, we'll have 3 matches in 3 days, and that will not be fun! We are going to be soooo tired!

Maybe it is that nobody wants to come and face the tougher competition. But I know that my coach used to coach at the jr. college that kind of feeds UNC, so he probably has an "in" with them and got us into the tourney. Either way, I'm excited to be playin them and I think it will be fun, even if we end up losin like 20-0.

9. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    A UNC-Guilford or Duke-Guilford game will be fun for you during warmups, the Saturday lunch for the players, and the first 5 minutes of the games. I can absolutely appreciate your excitement and it will produce a fond memory you'll never forget.

The UNC schedule has a home schedule of:
    Guilford
    Washington
    Virginia
    Duke
    Maryland
    If you add 2 games in Durham (Fl International, Marquette) and 1 in Cary (NC State) and call those "home" games, then the home schedule is acceptable in terms of number of games. But, it would have been nice to see a Top 20 team in the Nike Classic.

I truly don't believe that UNC started planning their schedule with the intent to put Guilford there.

10. *Crazy_Chastain*

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

No, Richmond was there and pulled out.

11. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Thanks for the info. I thought I saw Richmond in the schedule at one point. Richmond is now playing that weekend in a "tournament" at James Madison with games against Penn and Tulane, instead of UNC and Duke.

12. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    U-19 features Tar Heels

The roster for the U-19 NT is dotted with current and future Tar Heels.

Link

The current players are all incoming freshmen: Chalupny, Fletcher, Steadman, and Tarpley. Still in high school but announcing for UNC: Harris and O'Reilly.

Note the brief comments on all of these players near the end of the article.

13. Magick2do

Magick2do New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    is it only Duke, Guilford, Washington, and North Carolina in the (Carolina Nike Classic)?

14. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC classic

That's right. Guilford and Washington are invited to come for weekend of soccer, first playing either Duke or UNC on Friday evening, and then switching for Sunday afternoon games. There will be a similar format for the Duke Classic on Sept.20 and 22. Marquette and Florida International will come in and play either Duke or UNC on Friday evening and switch for the Sunday afternoon games. So fans of both teams will enjoy seeing their teams play, just not against each other. One difference will be the advertising. UNC's is the "Nike Classic" and Duke's is the "Adidas Classic."

15. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    I am totlly flabbergasted that UNC has a DIII school on their schedule, no offense to Guilford, or to DIII soccer. I'm a big fan of DIII soccer, and I know how good it can be. But the truth is, there aern't 20 teams in Division I that can play with UNC, and there isn't a DIII team in the world that can play with a top-20 DI team.

For UNC to have a DIII team on their schedule is bizarre. I notice they also have a Conference USA team, Marquette, which won't be able to play with UNC, either. Being a big fan of a C-USA team, I'm glad to see it. It'll be good to have a C-USA team get clobbered by UNC. A few years back, St. Louis U. scared Duke half to death and almost upset them.

But back to the DI vs. DIII thing again. I have seen those games. A year or so ago I saw a top DI men's team play a DIII team. The reason? - they had a player who had a red card suspension, and they needed a game for him to sit out. The game was a ridiculous - played entirely on one end of the field except on kick-offs.

There are DIII teams that are better than DI teams, no doubt about it. But the best teams in DIII cannot play with ranked DI teams - I have no doubt about that, either.

I saw Washington U. women play Illinois in Illinois' first year, at a time when WU was a ranked DIII team - and WU stunned Illinois by taking an early lead. Illinois came back, and won in overtime if I remember correctly. Who expected otherwise?

More power to Guilford. They'll get to see one of the best teams in the country close up. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers

16. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    UNC has a lot of walk-ons and bench players, since Anson has a no-cut policy. Perhaps they saw this as a game in which to give all of them a chance to play. They work hard all year like the rest of the starters and this is a chance to reward them. I cannot imagine he would send his first unit out against the likes of Guilford.

17. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    I'm not "buying" that as an explanation or rationalization. I suspect Richmond pulled out (for whatever reason, and maybe Wofford did too as they are listed on the Duke site for the Nike classic), and no Div 1 school was willing to jump in this late. The UNC "Walk-ons" are competitive with and probably would beat 80-90% of the Div 1 teams in the country.

18. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Academic honors for our players

The Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll was announced Friday, with ten members of our soccer team on it. The Honor Roll includes students who participated in a varsity-level sport and registered a grade point average of 3.0 or better for the full 2001-02 academic year.

Here they are:

Susie Ball, Leigh Blomgren, Jennie Branam, Kris DePlatchett (graduated), Leslie Gaston, Mary McDowell, Sara Randolph, Jordan Walker, Amy Whittier (graduated), and Laura Winslow. Congratulations, you guys!

Link . The article points out that KD was on the honor roll for four straight years!

19. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    yeah, i was a little shocked as well about the DIII school in the schedule, but hey i'm sure it will be a great game anyway..

.. i just can't wait for the season to start!

20. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    2002 Roster

I didn't see this posted before and I guess I don't check the UNC site often enough. The 2002 roster is available.

9 freshpeople listed with Winget getting added in with the 'outstanding' 8 (I'm coining the term now... :)... she red-shirted last season...

The only other addition that I saw was #20 Erin Carroll, a NC native, who played this spring during the exhibition matches.

Can anyone explain to me why UNC lists the weights on the roster? Is this a not-so-subtle psychological ploy to help fitness levels? Anyone?

http://tarheelblue.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/unc-w-soccer-mtt.html

21. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Listing weights

Listing height and weight is common in most teams media guides. The numbers seem to be fudged in many cases to make players look taller etc.

UNC posts the current fitness results at the Finley practice field for all the players to see. They know where they stand. Weights are an issue when it comes to eating disorders in female athletes, but listing them in media guides probably has little effect on that.

22. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Re: 2002 Roster

I have no idea as to the real reason the weights are listed. They seem to always list weight for guys, so why treat the women any different, maybe? Anyway, I doubt it's for the Tarheel's fitness benefit (embarrass them into losing wieght or some such silly thing). Maybe it's just to intimidate the heck out of opponents. "We're THIS BIG and we're coming to get you!" :D

Seriously, though, I don't know that the weights are necessarily all that accurate anyway. I'd actually guess they're scaled down (at least for some players), since women do tend to be sensitive about their weight (societal pressures and all that--we associate higher weights with being "fat" rather than being very muscular). For instance, they've got Jordan Walker listed at 5'5" and 135, but last year they listed Danni Borgman at 5'5" and 145. Um...If Danni Borgman who is broad-framed and solid muscle (she's very strong and incredibly fit--she should have no shame about her weight. She's done a LOT of work to be that strong) really weighs only 10 lbs more than Jordan Walker, I'll eat a Tarheels T-shirt. Something's fudged there, or Walker got (way) bigger and stronger this year. No way is Maggie Tomecka only 145 lbs at 5'11" and her build. And if the 6' tall frosh (Aly Wingett) is really only 155 lbs, she is one really stick-skinny kid--please feed her some steak or something!

23. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Rosters...

Since I'm feeling defiant... and Austin Powers style humor is back in style... Defy me! Find another womens college soccer program that lists the weights of players along with the heights... ;-)

You can skip all the ACC and Big Ten schools (since I checked them), along with some of the more popular schools that I have in my favorite links (Santa Clara, UCLA, UF, SDST, ND, Portland, Saint Marys...)...

That's great to treat guys and girls the same, but I (and I am a guy and stuck in my female stereotype world...) thought there were issues with women, weight, and self-image. Given the huge emphasis that the program puts on fitnesse (I've heard it opined that they win by running teams into the ground without actually playing soccer... not my opinion... but...), no one else had second thoughts about why the weights are listed? Maybe I think too much.

24. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Re: Rosters...

No, I didn't, really, and I already said why--the weights are very clearly fudged in some instances. (Maggie Tomecka--hello! NO WAY 145 lbs! She'd look like a skeleton if she was that light, and clearly she's actually very strong) If they're going to list bogus (lighter) weights anyway, how is that remotely motivating unless you're having a prize for the heaviest athlete? Just my opinion. Lighter weight doesn't equal greater fitness (we're back to my Borgman example). Besides, the UNC coaching staff doesn't put the weights in the media guide or on the web, the sports information people do. ;)

I wonder how many athletes even look at their media bios...

25. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    Re: Rosters...

well.. i think that ussoccer.com used to list the weights of the national teamers...i will check and see if they still do

i just checked..they no longer do.. the hunt continues