UNC Basketball Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Fulhamfc3, Dec 4, 2004.

1. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    How the hell did that UVa team beat Arizona?

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell has Pete Gillen not been fired yet? I half expected it at halftime. There was a team that has quit on its coach. Could be an ugly next 3 weeks or so in Charlottesville.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's our first win at the University Hall since 1999.

The half time score was ridiculous. I almost prefer when UVA plays us tough on the road and we lose. Almost. But I hate blowouts because there are few lessons to be learned whatever the result.

4. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    UNC had like a 42 point lead on the road. I mean that just shouldnt happen especially against a team like Virginia. They are not the best team but, they usually do ok against good teams.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really. That's got to be one of the most gutless performances by an ACC team I can remember. Still, I can't help but hope that Terry Holland was out there somewhere suffering.

6. GROVESHSCOACH

GROVESHSCOACH New Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Detroit, Michigan
    So when is the UNC NC STATE game this year? Are they playing twice or just once like the NC STATE DUKE game?

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Thursday night in Chapel Hill, 2/22 in Raleigh

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duke and UNC on the telly right now. I am listening to Woody and Mick since that anti Carolina, pro Duke bastard , Billy Packer is doing the game.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I gave in and spent the $9.99 so I could listen to Woody's commentary via net streaming. Well worth it, I think.

Tonight's result? It is what it is.

So at this point, this is a three horse race and all three teams should be even at 8-2 after tomorrow. But I think we are still in the driver's seat despite losing the tiebreaker to both Duke and WF. Let's look at the remaining schedule.

UNC:
    2/13 @ UConn
    2/16 Virginia
    2/19 Clemson
    2/22 NC State
    2/27 Maryland
    3/3 Florida State
    3/6 Duke

Duke
    2/12 @ Maryland
    2/17 Va Tech
    2/20 Wake Forest
    2/23 Ga Tech
    2/26 St. John's
    3/3 Miami
    3/6 UNC

WF
    2/10 NC State
    2/12 Florida State
    2/20 @ Duke
    2/23 Longwood
    2/27 Virginia
    3/2 Ga Tech
    3/6 NC State

We should win every ACC game up to the final weekend. Now, Maryland and NC State are road trips that have given us trouble in the past, but we, again, should win the next 5 conference games.

Which is where we get to the importance of Duke @ WF on 2/20. Here, not playing WF again helps and hurts us. It helps us because no matter who wins, one of the two will drop one game behind. It hurts us that if Wake Forest beats Duke, we won't catch them unless they get upset. Wake is more prone to an upset than us or Duke, but a Wake win makes things more difficult nonetheless.

A Duke win would be good, as we will be tied going into the final weekend and whoever wins in Chapel Hill wins the title.

But we'll just have to see how the chips fall. We will have a better idea after 2/20.

10. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNC and UVa battle it out tonight. It is retro 80's night in Chapel Hill. They should play in Carmicheal if they really wanted to be retro.

UVa has won three straight. Marvin Williams is out with a sprained toe, and most of the rest of the team has the flu. Not a good omen.

11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the onset of Rashad McCants' intestinal problems coincided with his mother's breast cancer diagnosis.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Sean May is already having a good weekend. He drops a career high 32 points and he's named first team All America. Doesn't that mean he can get his name raised to the rafter?

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I don't know what the criterion is for that.

When May first got to Chapel Hill I thought he had the makings of a really good college player who'd end up being a journeyman NBA player if he managed to catch on at all. This year has pretty much turned that opinion around. He's much better at freeing up his shot and physically he's so much improved he seems like a different player altogether. The differences in quickness and floor speed from last year to this are pretty wild.

15. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I do believe, yes.

Cannot wait for this afternoon's Duke-UNC game. I decided not to sell my ticket. I figured it was worth it to me more to be there in person than to make a grand in cash.

I hope McCants can contribute some playing time...even if it isn't much.

16. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me gutless. I'm going to record the game and I'll only watch it once I find out we've won. (I won't be around a TV to see the end live anyway, since I'll be coaching a soccer game beginning at 5.)

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this didn't work out so well. I'd changed my mind and told everybody to avoid telling me the result but on my way out of the indoor soccer facility a friend happened to congratulate me on the Heels' big win. Okay, fine. Then, once I got home, my new digital recording device stopped recording with about a minute thirty left to go in the game, during which time period I gather something pretty significant happened. I was...um...pretty upset about that.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know if it will be on ESPNC's Instant Classic?

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta disagree with Coach Williams allowing the players to cut down the nets yesterday. Seems like a dumb move to me. The only nets I want cut down are the NCAA Tournement Finals nets.

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally forgot about that possibility. Now that's damned hopeful. Has anyone ever told you what a handsome man you are?

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry, had to post my new avatar.

Oh... did I mention...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --Despite my deep hate of Carolina, congrats to all you guys. My elitist view of ACC basketball at least makes this somewhat palatable.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I would've said the same thing if Clemson had won.