UNC 2023

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 8, 2022.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've finished rewatching the game today and I came away thoroughly confused as to what formation UNC was using. A 3 back continues to be used and I do NOT understand that. It just doesn't suite this team at all and it has been exposed multiple times on counter attacks. It's theory craft 101 that the 3 back is weak against counter attacks and you shouldn't use it if you like to possess and push numbers forward.

I see no obvious benefit in persistently using it with plenty of cons against. Maycee Bell and Emerson Elgin just get pulled too far from center while sustaining possession. It puts too much pressure (or too much incentive) on Bell to push forward and become involved in the attack. It removes Emily Moxley and the threat of her glorious diagonals and crosses from the flanks.

In recent years it seemed like UNC was more than just gradually moving away from the back three and I was encouraged by it. It was both a sign of a more sophisticated decision making process and also a desire to push numbers forward intelligently and with possession in mind. This year both the three back and the experiment with the box four in midfield felt like novelty for novelty's sake with no obvious benefit and plenty of cons against. They've fixed the issues mostly in midfield and gone generally in the direction I like, but it feels like we've gotten a shadow of what should have been the best back line in the country this year.

There's been a reliable blueprint for success that has existed for nearly twenty years when you play the way UNC wants to play. When you have a team as good as UNC who play at their best when committing numbers forward both in a high press and in patient build up.

It's Arsène Wenger's Arsenal from the 2000's. It's the 4231. It's a target forward with two speedy wingers and a triangle of highly capable midfielders who combine well and overlap through the middle with intelligence. It's a 4 back with outside backs that pick and choose the right moments to get forward. It's exactly what UNC has in spades and exactly what we see from UNC when they are at their best.

Heeldoc, Soccerhunter and Heeligan2 repped this.
  2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I deleted this because I originally thought I was posting it here and didn't realize it was the FSU thread, and it didn't strike me as something that was appropriate to post there.

in response to a @Bosco post about folks being upset that UNC and Anson Dorrance over hype their players:

It's not about what is being said, it's about who is saying it.

This is the same fan base and general anti-UNC tag alongs that ignore all the praise he had for Jaelin Howell during her career at FSU but instead make up nonsense about something he said during a game. That's right, the one moment during a game where he complains to the ref in way that was clearly in reference to her overly physical play and had nothing to do with her appearance. As if it makes any sense for Anson to randomly say a girl looks like a rhino during the middle of a contested game.

With all the things that Anson Dorrance has said and done in his career that are an actual concern and worth criticizing, there shouldn't be a need to make things up to further complain about. They have their ammo to hate Anson with, why start reaching for more in a way that just makes them look silly?

That's what haters do, and haters gonna hate.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They needed a result like this and it was nice to get it, but gosh darn it that three back needs to be thrown in the fire and burned to ashes.

You can make the argument that the "competitive" stage of this game was between kickoff and Tori Dellaperuta's goal to make it 2-0. In that stretch the 3 back looked extremely vulnerable and gave up two really good chances that a better team capitalizes on. I don't understand why Anson and Damon insist on using the three back. It's giving no obvious benefits and seems to be holding back our best players up the spine. We scored in spite of it tonight on two corners and on two brilliant individual movements from Dellaperuta and Sentnor.

I'm a little confused at what they have Moxley doing. She was in all the right spots in the final third for this game, wide and putting in a lot of crosses from those wide areas ... but she was *not* part of the three back and instead looked like she was sort of "egressing" out wide from a more central position like the six or along a three front as play moved forward. Another game to watch and maybe compare to the FSU game which I'm still putting together a thread of gifs for.

In general a lot of convoluted movement in midfield with this team right now that seems unnecessary.

Tori Dellaperuta was excellent when she came on and seemed to push this team out of a little slumber they had fallen in after Shores early goal. Otherwise it's hard to say who any other MVP's might been.

4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    UNC 4, NCSU 0.

Was thinking that we'd like to go down to see the match up at NCSU, but figured that tickets probably would not be available. (Good choice as the they were sold out.) So given that I cant see it on line, I reverted to the Live Stats website.

The score is what one would imagine, given the W-L this season for each team. And while I am typically loath to second guess the coaching staff's decisions on how to play the bench, I note that 26 UNC players got on to the field and one did not --that being keeper Nona Reason. Nona is an excellent keeper who at the time of her commitment to UNC was pegged by TDS (for what that is worth) as the third best in the nation for her class, and given that she had an excellent summer and was voted top keeper in the summer U23 league she participated in. I am worried that she will seek better pastures if she doesn't geat a little playing time.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It was strange with Nona. She was up on the sideline with the coaches. The coaches were looking at something on paper and then told Nona she could not go in. It almost looked like they were counting something. Is there a max number of players you can play in a game? It looked to me like they were figuring out if they had room to use one more sub.

Separately, I don't know how she doesn't leave after this season. She is clearly behind Allen, who is the same age as her. She will be sitting for most of her career if she stays.

6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how they counted attendance or declared a sell out seeing as it was free to attend. Maybe had someone standing at the gate with a clicker? They announced during the game that it was an all time attendance record for a NC State soccer game. With the decision to have the game be free I was torn between saying "good for them" and "what idiot thought that was a good idea?"

7. Stargell77

Stargell77 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 4, 2023

8. Stargell77

Stargell77 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 4, 2023
    Ding ding ding

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking this might be the first week UNC does not win an ACC player of the week award.

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    When was the last time UNC was undefeated after 13 games? (Answers from memory only , play fair :) )

11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not the championship season in 2012 that's for sure. I remember they even lost an exhibition that year.

12. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a function of the the single game week and the opponent I suppose. I suspected anything short of a hat trick wasn't going to move the needle considering the quality of the opposition.

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #464 Soccerhunter, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Well Dang. Without cheating, I have no clue.

Random negative guess would be 2001 when I remember that a game mid-season with the UNC Alumni against the varsity team produced a loss for the varsity. Or not some year before that when we beat the Mexican National team. (It's only that these two events stick out in my mind.) I could guess the last year of the early 1990s three year undefeated run, but then there was a couple more undefeated years after that but I cant remember the years. So the best answer I can give is somewhere in the early 2000s???

15. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Players, parents, recruits, alumnae and donors,

If you were indifferent to which team won or you liked a goal fest, our match with Florida State was a game for you. Last year we beat them in the regular season at FSU (that gave us the # 1 seed in the ACC going into the ACC Tournament); lost to them in the ACC Final; and beat them in the NCAA Semi Final to allow us to advance to the NCAA Championship game where, honestly, we gave up a late goal to allow UCLA to tie us, LIKE THIS FSU GAME TYING GOAL!!!

The game was certainly a classic but we leave the game taking away so many positive things: we certainly have the potential to score goals. In addition to Ally Sentnor, who like Avery Patterson making her goal scoring run through the SEC, is scoring and assisting in this first 1/3rd of the ACC season. Two wonderful performances from two “gamechangers” Maddie Dahlein and Kate Faasse, who along with Sentnor put us up 3-2. We also had a lopsided possessional percentage which rarely happened against FSU while Mark Kerkorian was there, even when we beat them.

The resume we are building right now will help us in the post season. The most critical piece? Our RPI …. with Penn State’s tie we jump back up to # 1 in the RPI. We would love to finish the season in the top four in the RPI because that should (if we keep winning) allow us to host all the way the College Cup (soccer’s final four). Last year we were a # 2 seed (# 5 overall) and we had to go to Notre Dame (a very difficult place to play in late November) since they were the # 4 seed. Fortunately we won (2-0) and that took us back to the College Cup.

If I could recommend things for you to look at below, ALWAYS look at Chris Ducar’s highlights. Since this was our LATIN Heritage celebration game you will enjoy the music and “the call” on Ally Sentnor’s goooooooooooaaaaaaaaallllllll!!!

Another thing I am incredibly proud of is our ascension up the US News And World Report academic ranking …. so cool … playing for a university in a beautiful part of the country at a high level while getting one of the best collegiate educations in the world!!

All the best from where? Yes, Paradise!!

Anson

babranski, UNCleNutsy and whatagoodball repped this.
  16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A Pirates fan!

Welcome aboard!

Stargell77 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  17. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    We Are Family.

Stargell77, Heeligan2 and Val1 repped this.
  18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Oh yes! Me too. First attended at Forbes Field in 1956 and instantly became a big Roberto Clemente fan first because of his amazing athleticism...he wowed me with his unique overhand throw from near the right field fence perfectly to the catcher at knee level (no hops) to snuff out a runner. Stargell came later.....

OK. Back to women's soccer!

Stargell77, Val1 and Heeligan2 repped this.
  19. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    well the important difference is that FSU’s late goal was actually a goal. UCLA’s was not.

babranski repped this.
  20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    2005 was the last year UNC was undefeated after 13 games. I had to go through the schedules year by year until I found it!!!!
    2006 was a notable year though when they lost the first game in OT to an excellent Texas A & M team , then won 27 in a row

21. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    That 2012 season started dismally with a loss at Portland and the loss early in that match of senior starter Megan Brigman, one of the best athletes on the team. But once Dunn, Ohai, and Heaberlin returned from their U20 World Cup win and some key injuries healed, the Heels started winning.

22. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    UNC certainly looked good, dominated Miami — except for a couple of minutes in the second half when the substitutes got disorganized — but could only score one goal. The Miami goalkeeper was effective but don’t know that she had to make any extraordinary saves. Carolina ball and player movement was fun to watch, seemed to be able to do what they wanted. But could score only one goal.

Shore and Meza work nicely together in midfield.

Any idea why Dahlien doesn’t get more minutes?

And here’s a real peeve one of you needs to do something about. The UNC website write-up of game once again, as it has done repeatedly this season, says Carolina “remains one of the lone undefeated teams.” What does that even mean? How can you be one of the lone teams? Those of you who have connections please contact the writer and get this fixed. This is important, get to it.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Bosco, one of my pet peeves is when writers for some of these websites use the word "apart" instead of "a part". Hellooooo!

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably students in the appropriate degree and not a professional. I've been plenty grumpy over the years about how the school covers the program. Arguably one of if not the most decorated sports program of all time, any sport, at any level, any where in the world.

Regardless of what is *said* about it, the *actions* say quite plainly that it remains just a side project for the school, just as it started out as.

25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, how perspective matters. I was at that 2012 early season game. From where I sit, the season started brilliantly.;)

Soccerhunter and uncchamps2012 repped this.