UNC 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Nov 13, 2021.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Clear browser history.

2) I would say try a different browser to whatever your using. Firefox, Chrome, Windows Explorer or whatever it's called now.

3) Windows users should frequently clear the "big 3" of temporary file folders: temp, %temp%, and prefetch. Close every open window and running program you can and then right click on the windows icon, click "Run". Type the folder name, and when the folder opens, select every file by hitting ctrl+A, then hit delete. Some files might need Authorization, some files require you to skip them because they're being used at the moment for some reason... go ahead and do so. The point is to clear up the clutter in each folder. Not only does this help sometimes with browsing issues, but it can clear up a ton of space on your hard drive if you haven't done it in a while.

cpthomas repped this.
  2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spring Scrimmage #2 Saturday, 2/26 at 1pm against the NC Courage at WakeMed Soccer Park. Closed to the Public.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    So thanks again for the good information.

I am now able to log on to sidearm sports (which in case you haven't checked have locked up about 70 percent of DI schools, maybe 50% of DII shcools, and a much smaller percentage of DIII schools --also a good number of high schools and various athletic or recreation organizations (typically related to municipalities it seems)

My son advised me to cancel the prohibition of cross-site cookies, social media trackers, content trackers, fingerprinters, and internet beacons. (Don't as me to define these!) So I reset these setting and, BINGO, I am now fully on all of the Sidearm related sports venues. I am nervous of what all this tracking does in the internet to my detriment, but at least now I can see what various university websites are saying a bout their teams and after 20 years of being an old fart on the internet, I for the first time see lots of pop-up ads which are truly annoying (and whose presence will never yield any purchasing from me.)

Cheers!

blissett repped this.
  4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Any information/observations about the scrimmage?

5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fan of both the NC Courage and UNC, I was very happy to have been able to go and watch the game today. The rare circumstances that these two teams scrimmage in create games in which I'm very familiar with and rooting for all the players on the field. One end of the field I'm ooohing and whispering to my self "so close, Bella!" when Bella Sember curls a FK up and over Casey Murphy. I grin and clapped and did little fist pumps when Debinha on the other side of the field beats Marz Josephson with a similar FK.

I had difficulty in identifying only one new player on either team: for the NC Courage, a box midfielder in a position I would assume would otherwise be taken by Havana Solaun or Denise O'Sullivan. Her teammates were calling her "Leah" or something like that, and between that and her appearance my best guess was CDP Haleigh Stackpole. Let me know if I'm wrong.

The NC Courage started with Casey Murphy in goal and had CDP Marisa Bova come in for the second half.

Defenders were Kaleigh Kurtz and Abby Erceg centering Merrit Mathias and Carson Pickett. I only remember Kiki Pickett coming on later in the game when it started to become hard keeping track of who was who and where. I don't remember Katie Bowen playing, and I'm lamenting after the fact that I didn't check. That seems like a big miss on my part, right up there with me leaving my collapsing chair at the field. (derp)

Midfield starters were Meredith Speck, Debinha, Ryan Williams, and I think Haleigh Stackpole. Later on Brianna Pinto (yea!) and Frankie Tagliaferri got some minutes, the former more than the latter.

The real interesting choices from Sean Nahas of the NC Courage was for the front runners. Taylor Smith and ... Jaelene Daniels. That's right, the unrepentant bigot that is the Courage's former outside back is now playing as a forward, during the preseason at least. Her performance left little to be desired, but I'll admit my impression of anything she does will forever be colored. Taylor Smith, on the other hand, was at the center of nearly everything the Courage did and looked much improved from last season. She seems to have worked hard to build strength and speed and stamina in the off-season. Ordonez swapped with Ryan Williams and moved forward at the half, and Ratcliffe (who scored almost right away) came in at around the 70 minute mark. There was a flurry of later subs that included Jordan Baucom. I'm sure there were others that came on for NC, but that's all that I was able to spot and identify.

It was an unusual game maybe for Carolina and their fans to watch in the department of depth. The Courage not only used their best available 11, but they switched nearly all of them out during the game. Carolina had a limited roster in comparison, utilizing only 5 subs. It was an improvement from last week in their scrimmage against WFU, but certainly no where near the line-change they are capable of at full strength. Furthermore the game was played in the standard 45/45 format as opposed to the 30/30/30 format last week that afforded both teams more rest.

Marz Josephson started in goal, and Emmie Allen got the nod in a much more active second half. Josephson got a little banged up about 15 minutes in, but after some uncertainty she toughed it out and finished the half. Emmie Allen was much busier in the second half as you would expect, and she made several athletic and outstanding saves. This included a spectacular mid-air volley attempt by Debinha on a back post cross that Allen got over and made herself big for.

UNC got their English stars back from an intl break, and Emily Murphy and Ruby Grant both played significant minutes with the later starting alongside Bella Sember and Isabel Cox up top.

The midfield for UNC saw Tori Hansen anchoring Lauren Wrigley and Aleigh Gambone. They were regularly spelled by Riley Quinlan, Makenna Dominguez, and newly available Kai Hayes. I had an awkward moment where I locked eyes with Hayes on the sideline while I was staring at her unabashedly trying to figure out who she was while in warm-ups. She probably thought I was a total creeper. In my defense, the Tar Heels wore their Friday night blacks, but had to use white pennies because of a color clash. I think they were all in their right numbers (pauses to scowl at Riley Quinlan), but you couldn't see them easily through the penny.

There was a twist at some point where Tori Hansen actually dropped back on defense and Maggie Pierce moved forward into midfield. I vaguely remember something similar happening last week against WFU. The battle in the air between Tori Hansen and Abby Erceg on NC Courage set pieces this afternoon was epic, and Hansen in general was a defensive monster in this game. I don't think I'm being a homer when I say I think Hansen won that battle. She neutralized Erceg in the air.

The defense was the same as last week for UNC. Emerson Elgin starting instead of Paige Tolentino, but Tolentino shined when she came in. Abby Allen and Maggie Pierce at CB (later Hansen), and Emily Moxley held down the right.

Emily Moxley suffered an unknown and frightening upper body injury/medical emergency late in the game that required attending by EMS. No one seemed to notice what happened and I'm uncertain what the extent of her situation is or if she had to go to the hospital or not, but it certainly sucked the color out of the game late when it happened. Several UNC players notably distressed and watching from both the field and the bench during the run of play as the EMS personal tended to Emily.

I think the most disappointing part of this whole game was the officiating. Last week we saw ticky tack calls let go, dangerous play enforced tightly, and a degree of understanding that this was a scrimmage and player safety came first. A DOGSO play that wasn't necessarily dangerous saw the official warn the WFU keeper that it would have been a red in the regular season. I found myself greatly appreciating the way he called that game last week, and it stands in grand contrast to miss stick up her ass who handled the game today.

There was a point in the game that UNC's Lauren Wrigley took a hand or elbow to the mouth from Taylor Smith that, in real time, looked inadvertent. Wrigley was clearly reeling from the impact, pulling off her glove and checking her lip for blood. The official, who was standing *right there*, looked at Wrigley with a contemptuous vibe, and then walked away without stopping play. You *always* whistle to stop playing for a potential head or face injury, especially so during a preseason game. Add this to a plethora of questionable calls and confusing offside decisions by both AR's. It just made for a very frustrating experience for both teams I think. This was an official with an ego who wanted to let everybody know she was there and still in charge, preseason be damned.

I thought the game started somewhat evenly, with NC Courage's quality not as apparent as you would expect early on. Debinha was a monster for NC of course, but there were a couple of Tar Heels who made some outstanding tackles on her in midfield. Gambone and Pierce made two memorable tackles on the Brazilian star that should bring a lot of pride for them and their own, and all Tar Heel fans.

Both teams had good attacking sequences leading to dangerous FK's in the first 10 minutes or so, with Bella Sember curling her effort over the bar while Debinha on the other side being lethal with her chance. A bit of a shady call leading to the Debinha FK, with Moxley getting beat but Taylor Smith going down heavily with minimal contact after a heavy touch. 1-0 NCC in the first 10 or 15 minutes of play.

The chances for the NC Courage got more and more frequent, while the chances for UNC got fewer and far in between. There was a wonderful and gritty possession sequence for UNC around the 25 minute that lead to a really good forray into the NCC 18. It felt like everybody on the team touched the ball during the push up field, but it ended with a solid defensive play that shielded Elgin from a slip pass to the endline. I think it was Mathias.

UNC started the second half with a impressive sequence of passing into the final third with a give and go with Gambone and Wrigley, after the former nicked the ball away in midfield. Gambone struck a wonderful diagonal ball along the ground back against the grain into the 18. There were several Tar Heels there and I couldn't see who got the touch through the bodies, but they scuffed the chance and it was an easy grab for Bova.

While Debinha was the star for NC, I thought the player who really shined during this game for UNC was Tori Hansen. She was just absolutely monstrous in the air for the Tar Heels, and she made multiple critical defensive interceptions. She laid herself out to block a driven ball into the 18 late in the game and appeared to go down awkwardly, but she was able to get up and finish the game. No, I'm not just saying this just because, Dane.

Isabel Cox was obviously a handful for the NC Courage defense, but it was also obvious that Erceg and Kurtz were leagues above what she's used to dealing with in trying to post up and drive endline on.

Aside from one final push from NC Courage ending in a sensational tip over the bar by Emmie Allen, the game lost a lot of color when Emily Moxley went down about 70 minutes in. It felt like at that point both teams were sort of content to coast along. Ratcliffe hit a wonderful little chip over Emmie Allen to make it 2-0 soon after Moxley had to come out. I was so distracted with Moxley that I didn't even notice Ratcliffe had come on.

I have a lot more to say but at this point I'm going to have to limit it to questions people might really want answered instead of making this any longer than it already is.

NC has 2 more pre-season games before the season vs Duke and Clemson, while UNC has 3 more games on the spring schedule. The Tar Heels visit the NWSL's Spirit, then host UGA, and finally visit Duke in early April. Not sure I'll be able to go up to see the Spirit game.

Heeligan2, Klingo3034 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three Tar Heels set to start for the USWNT in game #2 of the U20 WCQ's. The graphic doesn't show wear but against the quality of opponents they're facing it probably doesn't matter. They'll get there chances at some point in the game. Go Avery, go Talia, go Emily!

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 babranski, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Patterson and Colton sitting very high, either as forwards or attacking midfielders, while DellaPeruta is sitting low and central, at the six. A lot of movement up top so it's hard for me to pinpoint who is where there, but Talia DellaPeruta is definitely shielding the back line as a play-making 6.

Patterson has 3 goals in the first 24 minutes.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #108 Soccerhunter, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    I see that at full time the final score was 7-0. Patterson with 4 (all in the first half) and exiced in the second half after supplying an assist. DellaPeruta also exited at that time. Missimo, Mason, and Kitahata scored in the second half. Colton played 90 minutes with one assist in the second half. It looks like the US will not be really tested until they come up against Canada and maybe Mexico...but nothing new there. In these circumstances complacency may be the challenge.

babranski repped this.
  9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Keeping jup with the Heels three U20 players..none of the UNC players started today. However all three got in in the second half with Talia DellaPeruta and Emily Colton scoring a goal each in another 7-0 rout. The round of 16 knock-out stage starts on Friday and the champion will be crowned on Saturday the 12th.

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Very sad to hear of the death of Stanford GK Katie Meyer. She was the one who made the saves to deny UNC the title in 2019.

babranski and Soccerhunter repped this.
  11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The latest U20 concacaf USA result is a 14-0 slaughter. Colton with 2 goals and 2 assists. Patterson and DellaPeruta a goal each. Might also note that Canada vs Cayman Islands picked up a 13-0 win. (Tom, 4 goals for Olivia Smith.) Mexico blasted Curacao 9-0 and Puerto Rico hammered St Kitts 7-0 (reversing the score of their previous game where they lost to US by 0-7.

A week from now we will get to see some competitive soccer when the US, Canada, and Mexico will finally be facinf each other.

Tom81 repped this.
  12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Today's games in the CONCACAF U20 women's qualification tournament have now narrowed it down to the three top seeds and (suprise!) Puerto Rico. The semifinals will be Canada vs Mexico and US vs Puerto Rico.

PR was seeded 13th but has won all of their games except when playing the US team in the group stage. Canada, Mexico, and the US all predictably have a 5-0 record at this point. Canada and the US have not conceded a goal while Mexico has only conceded one. Canada's Olivia Smith and US' Andrea Kitahaha are tied with 7 goals in the tournament to date.

As to the three Tarheel players, only the team captain Talia DellaPeruta played the full game. Avery Patterson come in with 17 minutes to go (and scored a goal) and Emily Colton was subbed in within a few minutes of the final whistle. I can't figure out whether there was a need, or if he coach was just getting first timers another cap.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi, @Soccerhunter, it's always a pleasure to read you on these boards. :)

Probably what I am going to ask is very well known info, so I am sorry to bother you about it, but since I read that Talia DellPeruta is an UNC player, this is probably the best place to ask my question: is she in any way related with Tori DellaPeruta, who came playing in Italy and recently debuted for U-19 Italy NT?

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Indeed. Tori is Tallia's little sister. She will be joining with Talia this fall at UNC.

It has confused me that Tori hasn't had a look at a USYNT U-15 or U17 camp when in fact she is a very good player.

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, it looks like Italy NT made up for this overlooked talent. :)

Soccerhunter repped this.
  16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    In the U20 CONCACAF tournament, all three UNC players started the semifinal match with Puerto Rico. Another 7-0 win for the USA with a birth in the U20 world cup secured. Team captain Talia DellaPeruta scored the first goal half way into the first period and was rested for most of the second half. Avery Patterson picked up two assists near the end of the game, and Emily Colton was statistically quiet for her 90 minutes.

The final match will be on Saturday afternoon against Mexico who defeated Canada 1-0 in the other semifinal match.

In looking at the line up and the subbing patterns, it would appear that coach Tracey Kevins kept players in for the full 90 in the semi-final who will likely not be starters in the final and rested players who will likely start on Saturday. ... But we shall see.

Switching subjects, does anyone know how the scrimmage with the Washington Spirit went on last Saturday? (I note that 2023 UNC commit Jaedyn Shaw is listed on the preseason roster. The longer this goes on, the less likely she will be matriculating in 2023.)

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, the CONCACAF 2022 U20 Women's World Cup Qualifier is over with the US coming out on top defeating Mexico 2-0, although statistically the game was essentially statistically even. Compared to the blowouts for every other game, the US team had only a 12 to 10 advantage in shots and a 2 shot on goal advantage over Mexico, and had two less corner kicks than the El Tri.

I was right a bout the coaching decisions in the previous game. Talia DellPeruta, the UNC player subbed out early after the halftime break in the semifinal, started and scored a goal as the designated penalty kicker. Duke's Michelle Cooper scored early accounting for the 2-0 line. Emily Colton made it into the game about half way through the second half. Avery Patterson never got off the bench.

Michelle Cooper's 8 goals was the most in the tournament, edging out Canada's Olivia Smith and Stanford player Andrea Kitahaha with 7 each. Not that they were officially counting them, but UNC's Colton was top in the tournament with 5 assists
    followed by Avery Patterson with 4.

Interesting to note that Kevins called up 9 of the players she had on the U17 team in 2020 (just before COVID cancaled everything) and of those 9, 6 of them starred in the final game at the CONCACAF U20s

blissett repped this.
  18. jonesjones

jonesjones New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 2, 2022
    Curious to those who have seen the preseason matches - was Sam Meza playing during the games you've seen? I saw some posts on instagram a few weeks ago that seemed to hint that she was leaving/going somewhere(players posting they were going to miss her). Could have just been for a vacation or something but I've been curious ever since.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    her birthday is listed as November 7, 2001 (age 20 years, 4 months) on Wikipedia, making her ineligible for a u20 competition.

20. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Sam is playing in Italy during the spring.

jonesjones repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Where? I live in Italy and I am curious to know.

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Andrea Kitahata didn't play in the last 3 games for some reason. Whether it was injury or something else.

blissett repped this.
  23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Kitahaha's absence is indeed a mystery. She was not on the roster at all for the last 3 games. I assumed it was an injury, but it certainly was not publicly publicized at all, especially when considering that US Soccer publicized several times that forward Sally Menti was ruled out of the tournament due to a broken wrist suffered in the first game.

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final spring scrimmage yesterday against Duke on their practice fields. A 3-0 UNC win feels both flattering and not for the Blue Devils. The Tar Heels enjoyed a tremendous advantage in the number of chances created. Ruthie Jones made at least three sensational saves to deny the likes of Colton and others.

Duke did create a fair number of chances themselves, but in the end the Tar Heel shut out was a product of significantly poor finishing. The direct and lateral balls Duke utilized was terrifyingly effective in getting behind UNC's aggressive defense. Emmie Allen was very aggressive coming off her line to snuff out several chances in this game, and she made herself big two or three times to keep Duke attackers from getting around her. There was one chance late in the game where 5th year Pluck finally got around Allen and had 30 yards for an empty net, but she snatched at the chance and it nearly went out for a throw. Summed up the night for me for Duke attackers. It didn't feel like it was UNC's defenders doing the best of jobs that deserved a shutout, but Duke just didn't capitalize.

Carolina did. The opening goal late in the first 30 minute stanza was a classic UNC high press forcing a turnover in the corner. A deflected pass bounced extraordinarily straight to Cox at the top of the six with Ruthie Jones out of position trying to be part of the build out. Jones I thought did an incredible job getting back into a challenging position, but the finish from Cox was lethal into the side netting.

I thought Carolina came out and played really well in the first 5 - 10 minutes, but Duke started to take control and was doing really well building through the midfield. The high press goal for Cox felt very much against the run of play. The second Stanza saw UNC a their very best. They looked in mid-season form and were an absolute buzz saw in front of the Duke goal. 10 minutes in they had scored two more goals and probably should have scored two more if not for Ruthie Jones.

A Duke defender got caught with her arm and hand completely outstretched and 90+ from her body. Someone from the Duke bench (Church I think) argued with the official after the resulting PK "what was she supposed to do there?" ... I think ball to hand arguments go out the window when you have your arm and hands that far away from your body and in take off positions.

Hansen absolutely blistered the PK, her second or third extreamly well taken PK of the spring. Can't help but wonder if a certain PK take in the past pushed her to get better to the extent that she's now the designated batter.

Hansen's PK kicked off a period of 15-20 minutes of relentless pressure from UNC. Quantity and Quality. Patterson the lone goal scorer in what should have been a blitzkrieg of goals if not for Ruthie Jones standing on her head. Colton denied from 6 yards out with a tip over the bar, and then again later from the corner of the six after Patterson blistered a cross through to her. Hansen denied a brace on a looping header that would find its way over a lot of lesser capable keepers. Patterson had an effort on a cut in curl that just failed to curl inside the top corner. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep up if I had been live tweeting.

Pattersons goal was after a little combination play where she curled out from too deep and had a go. With all the saves Jones made today, she probably will tell you she should have had that one considering the angle, but man was in a sizzling strike that she couldn't get her fingertips on, striking the inside of the far post I think, and in.

We got a nice mix of starters and subs between the two periods, and it felt like maybe there was a little competition for playing time in the third stanza. The first saw Cox centering Patterson and Gambone, Colton with Wrigley, Hansen and Pierce in midfield, and Allen centering Moxley and Elgin. Emmie Allen played the whole game. The second stanza saw a dog in the huddle and trying to enter the starting line-up. Instead it was Colton Sember Patterson, Moore Dominguez Pierce, and I think a 4 back of Hansen and Allen between Tolentino and Moxley. The final stanza saw Cox between Gambone and Sember, Wrigley Pierce and Moore, and Hansen and Allen between Moxley and Elgin.

Spring game performances require a grain of salt, buy my goodness were the Tar Heels having fun at the Blue Devils expense in that second period. The most exciting the Tar Heels have looked this spring without a doubt.

Grant and Murphy on International Duty. Sentnor, Jones, and Bell still coming back from injury, Dellaperuta and Meza are in Italy. Dorsey is with Lacrosse. Status of others that didn't play I'm not sure of, including Marz Josephson.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the great write up!

I've been out of town and otherwise swamped recently. However, I did get to see most of the scrimmage with Georgia a couple of weeks ago. Georgia appears to be a good team, and things were pretty equal for much of the 30 minute first third. But the Heels steadily progressed throughout the 90 minutes and handled the Bulldogs pretty well. Our defense seemed to get better as time went on and we got more chances later in the game.

Murphy looked really good, while Grant seemed lost. Cox was playing hard, but did not have much success.. the speedy and athletic left back shut Isabel down most of the time. Sember seem to have improved and should get more minutes next fall. Patterson was her workmanlike self but not as effective as she might have been. (I did not see Colton play.?.) Moxley, Allen and Hanson worked better together as time went on.

I talked to one of the Heels' mangers, and learned that Bell was recovering from more surgery. I hope she'll be fully fit by August, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Sentnor play. Plus there will likely be two or three freshmen challenging for starting roles in the fall.